HybridZ

Best Engine Management System for SR20DET?

240zip

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've searched and searched, but it seems that Wolf 3d is targeted for import motors. I've been hoping for a guide for timing maps as a starting point for getting the engine running. I know it's a mortal sin to hand out a EMS map to a person for fear they will not tune it and blow an engine and bad mouth the EMS company.

Wolf seems to not have any dealers in Los Angeles. Los Angeles has a few car enthusiasts,:wink:, I'm a bit surprised by this...

I emailed Wolf in AU, after I told them where I was I think they were embarrassed that they have no support in LA.

I'm not worried about tuning the fuel map, the innovate Wide band should help a lot. But the spark map is a little more tricky.

Anyone have a 'stock' timing map for an LT1 ? I can use that as a start.

The version 4 Wolf I got from another car to use in my project does look like it has a good set of features. They are a little muddy about the closed loop with wide band settings. FAST ems lets you adjust the fuel map with a quick tap on the keyboard based on the wide band reading and what you want the AFR to read at any given fuel map position.

• Administrators

Les,

Your point of view doesn't seem to mirror my own.

Here’s how I see it...

On November 29th, you emailed me and asked if I had a timing map for an LT1. On the same day, I returned the email. I explained that, while I don’t have a map, here are the necessary numbers for you to plug in the appropriate places. I also included my phone number and told you to call me if you had any questions.

If you did not receive my email, I apologize. These things happen. Let me know if this is the case and I will resend. If you did in fact receive it, you should have called me or email'd and said “Hey Ron, thanks for the help. I could use a little clarification though, etc, etc”.

By not responding, I was left with the assumption that you were happy. Why would I think otherwise?

If you still need help with the map, PM me and I will build one for you. All that is requireed is a little communication. Deal?

I've searched and searched, but it seems that Wolf 3d is targeted for import motors.

I would venture to say, in Australia, V8’s are the minority. This doesn’t mean they don’t care.. V500 has *eight* injector channels and *eight* ignition channels. Not many of the midrange systems do. It normally requires about double the money to get into a system that can make the same claim. What you're witnessing is simply a reflection of the popular market.

Wolf seems to not have any dealers in Los Angeles. Los Angeles has a few car enthusiasts,:wink:, I'm a bit surprised by this...

I emailed Wolf in AU, after I told them where I was I think they were embarrassed that they have no support in LA.

Not embarrassed. Apologetic, maybe, but not embarrassed. Don’t forget, Wolf is an Australian company. They have a very respectable reputation in their homeland. They only recently decided to make an effort to grow in the US. This takes time. You can’t just twinkle your nose and have dealers instantly appear all over a country the size of ours.

FAST ems lets you adjust the fuel map with a quick tap on the keyboard based on the wide band reading and what you want the AFR to read at any given fuel map position.

This feature is partially marketing. The problem with this method is that YOU have to set the target value. If you stick with the common ‘12.5’, more often than not, you will leave power on the table. Some engines respond well to a flat 12.5... some don’t. Some like to run leaner down low and richer on top. Some are opposite. Either way, you still have to do proper testing/evaluation to find out what YOUR motor wants.

The reason we spend the money and take the time to install these systems is to wring out more performance than OE, yes?. In 99 cases out of 100, you will not BEAT the factory numbers with simplistic tunning of ‘target values’.

Since you already have an LM1, this is still very easy to accomplish with Wolf. Using the arrow keys... , the pulse-widths increase or decrease incrementally. This can be done with an ENTIRE load band, or just an individual cell. Holding down the shift key will make larger jumps. With this strategy, you can have a drivable initial map within minutes.

I hope this helps you. If you have further concerns, don't hesitate to email me.

Ron,

Thanks so much for your response. Indeed I did not see your response to my earlier email questions trying to find some leads in Maps, etc, for a Wolf 3d.

I will email you directly soon.

I apologize for sounding angry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I have studied the Wolf 3d a lot, and think it has a lot of great features. I have the previous generation, V4, but it still looks better that the megasquirt as far as a robust system.

It's funny how a lot of engine management systems are from AU! Bright Lads! I lived there when I was a kid, very 'practical minded people' I'd say.

I think it would be interesting to the competition if Innovate would do a EMS. I started to write some micro controller code for an EMS a couple of years ago, but the devil *is* in the details, for sure!

Wolf should consider making a user forum, like Innovate has, for tuners and users to share information. Now that AEM is combined with Wolf ( True?) , how do they differentiate the products?

I agree, under many circumstances it is not easy to beat GM for power. GM spends millions of $ on their engine management. They do a lot of cool things in engine control that the 3rd party guys don't need to consider because they aren't smog or millage driven. For example, GM watches the crank shaft velocity to help balance cylinder firing. They also watch the ABS sensors on the wheels to see if a rough road is causing the deviation in the crank velocity. They tune the knock control with careful signal processing to identify cylinder knock and retard just that cylinder. Even more advanced: they can modulate the injector pulses to purposely change the crank velocity and make a good estimation of A/F ratio independent of the O2 sensors ! Most of this is ODB2 related, but they impress the hell out of me.

I could have gone with LT1edit, a tuner program for GM ecm's, but they only seem to support forced induction motors in a primitive way from what I could tell.

The reason we spend the money and take the time to install these systems is to wring out more performance than OE, yes?. In 99 cases out of 100, you will not BEAT the factory numbers with simplistic tunning of ‘target values’.