HybridZ

Progress on my front splitter

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys sorry I have been so long in posting. I think many of you are way over thinking what I am doing. I am not trying to completely enclose the front end. The splitter/belly pan only goes to the engine crossmember. I am no aerodynamics engineer, the main purpose of this piece is to give some much needed support to our flimsy airdams and hopefully have the beneit of a little added downforce and improved air flow. And hey I think it looks good, which is reason enough for me :)

I have finished the splitter, it came out extremly strong with the angle reninforcing I did. I ended up using blind nuts on the airdam, they pulled in and held in place quite well since the urethane is pretty soft.

I need to roll the car out and take some better pictures, I have just been busy doing little stuff to get the car ready for Zdayz.

Anyway I'll shot some better pictures tomarrow but this may be a little clearer:

spliter_011.sized.jpg

I like the splitter/pan. It looks great! how thick is the aluminum.

Here is my belly pan. It doesn't come out in front of the air dam..It is also realatively thin aluminum..approx 18 guage if I remember correctly. I have seen the highside of 140mph with no seat of the pants issues for the last 5 years I have had it installed.

Scott

bellypan.jpg

srgunz, That does look like a nice piece. But if im not mistaken are ducts like that actually create more turbulence then nothing at all. Corky Bell goes over this in his book. The inlet for the ducts actually needs to be smaller.

Zr8ed - NIce! I see you lowered yours down even farther. I may end up doing this, my car is about as low as I want to go for street driving, but the front lip is still about 5" off the ground. I will prolly make a piece to lower it down a bit, but im gonna see how this works for now. Good to hear you have had postive results.

OKay finally pullled her out and washed her, also got my grill all finsihed up, made it from some wire mesh and aluminum angle. Tell me what yall think!

haaa_010.sized.jpg

haaa_013.sized.jpg

haaa_011.sized.jpg

all in all Im happy with it, I may be experimenting with a making a carbon one that will drop the splitter lower to the ground where it needs to be. But anyway those are just ideas right now. Now I just need some bumpers!

Haha thanks guys. Trust me it doesnt look as good in person.

Anyway, I havent had a chance to drive it much Ive been working on little things for Zdayz. Ill be doing some more fine tuning to the ems thursday so im sure Ill be triple digits and see how it goes. Like I mentioned as did Jon I think it needs to be lower like zr8ed's, to have the best effect. I may work on a different design a little later, Im thinking about playing with carbon...... but we will seee.

Admittedly I could be wrong, but I think there's two things going on here. One is the ability of the splitter to keep air from going under the car, which could be improved with a skirt, the other is producing downforce which has to do with the shape of the splitter, not it's placement close to the ground.