HybridZ

New to the board, new project in the garage.

christoc

I purchased a 73 from a buddy of mine who owns www.zcarkits.com. I got a great deal for the 73 with motor and transmission, and an 83 L28ET on an engine stand. The history of the motor is unknown for sure, but rumor from the previous previous owner is that it was pulled from an 83 that was totalled after 3k miles, I'll hopefully be able to figure out more of a history as I tear into the motor.

I'm just getting into the project, there is a LOT of work ahead of me, and a lot of planning yet to be done on what I'll be doing with the motor.

I'll most likely be building an SCCA SM2 autocross car, though whatever I build will be street legal so that I can drive it around town when I feel like it.

I haven't really even gotten started yet, but I'm looking at a 78 2+2 for a parts car tomorrow evening. The 73 I got was starting to get parted out for a kit project so I've gotta get some body work for the front.

I'll be working on the project more this weekend, trying to keep an active blog/photo gallery of the project as I go along.

Blog here

Photo gallery here

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello! Hope to be active searching and posting around here for the many questions I'm sure I will have.

Guest ON3GO

wow the paint even looks pretty great on it! plus the color is very cool.

great find!

welcome to the site, you will love it here.

search alot, not to sound rude but theres SO much info on this site that you can find things that will amaze you.

love the Z33 btw!

mike

Guest modularmind

sweet deal. I'm new to the site as well. I also have pretty much the same project going on as you. And I'm in Kansas City, not too close... but not extremely far off.

wow the paint even looks pretty great on it! plus the color is very cool.

great find!

The car was actually either Red or Orange before' date=' the doors came off a parts car from the previous owner, a 74 260 I believe.

I've got some plans for it, not sure what my timeline will be, but I hope to ship the car off to the body shop later this summer. I'll probably go with a nice deep glossy black though. Just need to figure out what I'm doing with the body first, definitely going to shave a few things, though not sure if I want to touch the door handles.

Anyone have any input on the pictures I took after removing the oil pan?

I'm not versed enough to know what I'm doing yet, though learning. A buddy of mine thinks the crank looks machined, I told him I believe they came that way from the factory, but am not positive.

I was reading http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/rebuild.html last night. I've got plenty of books that came with the purchase as well, so I have a lot of reading left to do.

L series engines have forged crank and rods. Get yourself a copy of the How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine book and maybe the How to Rebuild book as well. Both have a ton of info.

These L series engines are pretty indestructable. I wouldn't bother tearing into it too far unless you suspect something is wrong. Maybe rotate the crank and make sure the bores aren't all rusty or scored or something, and if that checks out I'd slap it in and see what it does. Lots of guys here are pulling 300-400 hp on junkyard turbo motors.

Is the turbo legal in SM2?

Check the FAQs, check the Stickies at the top of each section here. Lots of good info about the L series, and good turbo L series info in the Turbo section rather than the L series section here: http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Also tons of good suspension info here on Hybrid Z. I've learned more from this site than all the other Z sites combined with regards to Z suspension. Pretty much anything you could want to know about has been talked about previously, so use the search function before posting, and be prepared to dig through the archives, because there really is a ton of info to be had here.

L series engines have forged crank and rods. Get yourself a copy of the How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine book and maybe the How to Rebuild book as well. Both have a ton of info.

Is the turbo legal in SM2?

I'll have to double check which books I got with the car, and order the ones I didn't get.

The turbo would be legal in SM2, as long as the car has a motor from the same manufacturer in it.

I will definitely be doing a lot of searching, I've already seen you guys ripping into those who ask first without searching ;)

Where are you at Silent? Something about your picture looks really familiar though I can't figure out what it is.

im in kansas city as well. im sure some of the pics that were taken of me and my z were plastered all over the net, may have seen some on various boards

Where are you at Silent? Something about your picture looks really familiar though I can't figure out what it is.

Well I used to live in St. Louis (St. Charles, Creve Coeur, Ferguson)- does that count for anything?:mrgreen:

I do know a really good, honest mechanic there in case you get in a bind.