HybridZ

Where to find a madrel bender?

Nathaust

Where do all of you get your 3 inch mandrel bent exhausts made for your L28ET? I went to a coulple muffler shops in the area and they said they didnt even know where I could go to get a mandrel bent system made up. I knew crushed type benders were more popular but I didnt think it would be to difficult to find someone to make it. Do any of you Washington residents know where I could go?

thx

john

Buy the bends from Summit or Jegs or JC Whitney, then take them to an exhaust shop. If you're looking to save $$$, buy your muffler through mail order too. I paid $17 for my Dynomax UltraFlo through Jegs when they were on sale (mail in rebate, but it was worth it for $50!). I think the local muffler shop will probably want $100 for the same muffler.

I bought 180 degree u bends and then cut them up as needed

Me too... and in my intercooler piping... when the bend got too tight i just cut wedges out of straight pipe and welded it togeather...

Photo_050406_003_1_.jpg

I've gotten a few systems done at Stans Headers. I don't think it will cost you more than $300 for aluminized steel. It's been a while, but one guy there does crappy work ( Stan's brother) and another younger guy there did really nice work.

Aaron

One thing that's nice about dealing with Burns Stainless or SPD is that you can get things like a 3" U bend on a 3" center-line-radius. They are more expensive then Summit but the bends are a constant 3" OD and can be super tight. You can also order .49" thick mild steel bends.

Another place I found that sells them for a decent price is these guys:

http://store.racing-solutions.org/index.html

Great service and fast shipping. I got the 3" exhaust builder kit - comes in aluminized steel. I used a 180 and one 45 degree bend for the downpipe, so i still have another 180, two 90's and a 45 to finish the rest of the exhaust. Bought the O2 bung from them two.

Cool, thanks for all the replys. I'll give the stans place a call first to see what kind of prices they have.

I was planning to just buy some generic U and 90 bends from summit but I'll check out those other sites. I have a down pipe so I don't think it would be to difficult to fab the rest of the plumbing. I've been looking at what others have done and it looks like the best I've seen go from the DP shifting over towards the driveline and stright down and then 45s over to the muffler. I've seen a lot of people use 90 in the rear to get from the center of the car over to the muffler. I've only seen one picture using 45's why is that? Is it a clearance issue? wouldnt 45's be better for flow?

What should I look for in a muffler. I was looking at just some high flow straight through types but there is a lot of variations. Will just any 3in in/out straight through work. I'm assuming the longer ones are quieter then the shortys. I was looking at the Borla ones in the summit cat. but I'm not really sure what would be best.

thx

john

• 2 months later...