HybridZ

Vortech Z

tweakinZs

So yea, I hear everone throwin 350s or strokers, bigblocks, turbos, ect...ect... into their Z cars. Here is an idea, tell me what ya think.

Putting a Vortech V-6 into a datsun Z. Yea its not a V-8 or anything but you gotta admit the motor is very impressive. Now add a cold air, or better yet, force feed the Vortech, headers, cam, ect... You could have a very streetable, very powerful, still relatively light little Zcar right.

Throw a 6 speed Vette trans behind it, LSD rearend, 3" exhaust, the thing would be a beast!! Suspension mods, roll cage, the whole works, and best of all, it is a shorter block than an 8cyl, so it would sit a little closer to the firewall wich would keep more of the weight centered to the middle of the vehicle. Giving you better control in a long sweeping turn and also giving you just a little more grip to the rear wheels, wereas an 8cyl, especially a big block would weigh down the nose of the car pulling weight and traction from the rearwheels.

I dont know, just and idea I brainstormed lookin out at my brother-in-laws 2000 Vortech Chevy Cheyenne. Tell me what you think. Just curious on how many others can agree with me on this one.

-Mario

Even so with the LS1 being lighter or not, my point was trying to get away from the played-out V-8 motor swaps, and also like I said the vortech is sitting right outside next to my Z. Not my truck of course but, hey it would be somewhat nifty, not to mention a whole hell of alot cheaper than trying to get your hands on a nice LS1. Im just trying to figure out an engine I wanna put in my Z that someone else hasnt already done, but it seems to me that no such swap exsists. Ive seen everything from a 4cyl to a 12cyl. My only guess is doing the near impossible and trying to wedge Cadillacs new v-16 in the damn thing. YEEHAH right? Let see some-one pull that off, If some one has please send me pics. wickidmindid@wmconnect.com Mario

I think your mistaken about engine choices having all been tried. I saw a volvo v-4 the other day in a little wagon and years back a buddy had one in his boat. I don't think that has been done yet, 86 whopping HP would be hard to contain. Just a matter of choice. FWIW most people swap to increase HP, not just to be different than the crowd. Also another one is the blown caddy motor, I don't think we've seen that one either. Could try the dodge slant 6, or howabout the AMC motors of yesteryear like the 304 or the 360. Come to think of it I haven't seen any buick powered z's yet either, or a 348 or 409 chevy powered z. You could be singing "Me and my 409"!!

For some real seat of the pants performance the DSM 2.0 liter turbo would be a nice swap and they make an adapter to go to a PG for the rwd changeover of the DSM cars. They make sick HP too!

Guest zfan

Dr. Hunt's right, so many choices so little time. I believe John Scott a long time member was the first to do the Vortech with a supercharger thing. He used to brag about killing V8's.

Do a search as I may be wrong but he now runs a stroker 383. I think the torque bug bit him!

A friend of mine has a 240Z with a DZ302 sbc with a baby B&M baby blower on it and a Richmond six speed. Car is a blast to punch at 60 mph. Built 400 sbc could only hope to hang close to it.

Mike

How about the Vortec 4200 I6 engine from the trailblazers? Or even the 3500 I5 out of the H3 and Colorado? The 4200 isn't much bigger (if at all) than the L28. DOHC, Variable valve timing, etc. About 270 HP if I remember right. They are also all aluminum, so weight should not be an issue. I've read that the dowel pins for the tranny match up to the pins on the standard SBC bellhousing, so making an adapter to a T-56 six speed wouldn't be too difficult. They also have a 2800 I4, same displacement and horsepower as the Datsun engine (170), but much shorter and lighter. Throw a turbo on that along with the T-56 and it would be a monster. As far as I know, NONE of these combos has been tried yet :)

Mike

Well as of now, I was offered an 89 Maxima with DOHC six in it for $500, so Im most likely goin for that swap for now, use the seats, steering wheel, and whatever else I may see fit from the Maxima. Im still not 100% sure yet, I may use the $500 towards one of the two L28s i already have. Speaking of wich, if anyone wants one, needs one, or would just like to have one, they're both bone stock, good shape, one is rebuilt, and both totally complete. I dont know the value of these but Im sure some one here might.

there was no DOHC maxima in 89. An 89 maxima would have the VG30e engine which does not run any stronger than the L series motor. And the maxima is front wheel drive so you are going to have the wrong transmission. It really sounds like you are not prepared to do any kind of motor swapping seeing how you don't really know what you are talking about. This isn't a walk in the park especially when you are trying to be different and come up with your own new thing. The cheapest way to motor swap is with a SBC. I guess thats not unique enough for you though. Good Luck!

Hey, listen, I dont need your BS input, I mentioned several times, I am new to Nissan and even newer to the Zs. I have a pretty good understanding of what is what, just not what Nissan has what motor, this is why I created this thread, so that I can get help to see what would be easiest, most efficient, ect... You gota understand, I am 17, 18 on the tenth, and I dont know much about Zs and swaps possible in them, I am learning and learning fast, as of what is in the Maxima, I was just going by what my freind said, He is a Honda guy and knows absolutly nothing about Nissan. As of me not knowing what I am talkking about, kiss my A$$ just because I dont know all there is to know about, engine sizes, numbers, power, ect... Thats why I am here to learn. As of the SBC not being unique enough, your right, too damn many people have them, WAY TOO MANY!! I have heard alot of great ideas, thanks to dr hunt, zfan, z tard, deep and a few others, I really apreciate all the info, as of some ideas, such as 4cyl swapps, just doesnt make sense to me to go smaller, I am one who feels there is no replacement for displacement. If I had a 510 or something, a couple of those 4cyls sound nice. I do know enough to perform a succesful engine swap, just because I dont know what car has what engine in it, doesnt mean I dont know what will and wont fit, and what will need to be done to make it work. I understand it will NOT be a two day or even a two week project to do a "professional" job. Thats fine with me, I have all summer, and a complete custom auto shop to work with. As I mentioned I think for now, at least until I am older and have a little more experience, or a little more cash, I am going to stick with the L28, I have two so the rebuilt one is going in temporarily until I get the other rebuilt. Im doing everything new, and it will be N/A. I am not a big fan of turbo and supercharged cars, they are nice, but not my thing. I am also not looking for huge power, between 300-400 is more than enough for me to have fun for a while. Some day I will consider dropping in a Chevy, especially considering that is my company. Sorry for the attitude in this post, Im just here to learn not to be told I dont know anything, and I am not prepared to be doing stuff such as this. Thanks for all the input you guys and you have all been very helpful and am still looking for more ideas, and knowledge of the Nissan and Datsun world. Thanks so much!

-Mario

76 280Z 2+2: bone stock L28E, 5spd, HUGE work in progress, but still daily driver.

hey, i completed my RB swap before my 18th birthday. age is not a factor, the biggest thing in a swap is how devoted to it you are.

a really devoted person will always find away to get the money, or to make something work. but it will take a lot longer than expected to do something 'different'

Yea I feel it is too but I may still change my mind once I get out to the shop and have my brother and all his employees give me a hand with things. My personal opinion is you can't learn until you try right? Honestly the only thing holding me back is extra cash, but hey, come next month Im going to be working, well, doing murals on cars. Wish you all could see the art I can do. F-ing wickid shnit!!!

P.S anyone in Nor Cal and need some major customization done, hit up A to Z customs in downtown Sacramento. Thay can do everything you can think of and have it done right. Pleas dont come for maintnance work, it will be rejected.

-Mario