HybridZ

Motor Swap

ZDrifter

Hey guys, I'm a new member and I love the forum. Im 18 years old, I have a 1978 280z and I love it. All of you guys provide great information and I thank you for it. Now down to business :) To tell the truth the L28 is a good motor but I need more power because she is gettin old. I got the car from the original owner in 2004 after it had been sitting in a garage since 1989 because he didnt want to change the fuel pump. Yes I know sad thing to leave a Z in a garage but luckily I got my hands on it. My friend and I got her running and I have been driving her since. Now that I am graduating next month, I need to get my Z ready for the trip to Universal Technical Institute where I will be going to college. What better to do than an engine swap??? So I been researching for the past couple months and I love the idea of the RB25DET and from what i read and the research its a fairly easy swap. What I'd like to kno is where you guys got your motors and where the best reliability and prices are??? I have heard good things about venus auto, but http://www.jdmracingmotors.com has good prices and they have some ebay auctions and get pretty good feedback. So if anyone could help me out it'd be great to hear from you guys and I cant wait to talk more about Z's!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board! Which UTI are you planning on attending?

IF this is your only car, and reliability is a key concern, I might caution you against an RB swap. Perhaps a refresh of the L28 (which can make really good power... especially with a turbo!) might be an option.

It's not that the RB can't be reliable... because it can. It just takes time and money to accomplish... when you could have that L28 singing along in no time!

Unless you're having the motor swap done by a reputable shop you can plan on having the car down (not drivable) for up to several months. I would hate to see you in a situation where your ONLY car is down and you're having to bum rides, or hoof it, anywhere you need to go. That experience alone could sour you to the project (and how fun is that?).

Venus-Auto has a great reputation and I know several individuals who have recieved motors from them and had no problems. I'm not familiar with JDMRacingMotors, but maybe someone else can chime in?

HybridZ will likely be a great resource to you. There are alot of smart guys on this board with a wealth of combined knowledge and experience. I would caution you to ALWAYS use the search feature before posting and read all the sticky's.

Welcome again!

A quick search for 'RB25DET' netted these posts (and these are only a fraction of what was actually found) that may be of some help to you:

JDM Engines:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=109668&highlight=rb25det

Reality Check: RB26 vs. L28ET (some discussion about the '25)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110120&highlight=rb25det

Q's Mounts:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105938&highlight=rb25det

RB25 Swap Completed by Vildini Motorsports:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=109511&highlight=rb25det

EMWHYROHEN's Completed Swap

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=109000&highlight=rb25det

You might also search for JTaylor's car. There are lots of pictures and some videos of his car around.

I will be going to the Campus in Avendale, Arizona. I know that the swap is a big job but I have already accomplished a 440 big block swap into a 1989 ford ranger. My friend and I can do a lot of custom fab. for the motor mounts and tranny mounts so Im not at all worried about it. As for the wiring harness, I am sending the RB harness to McKinney motorsport where they will be making me a full harness. After I get the motor in and the harness back, I plan on taking it to my friend at Torque Freaks here in Portland where he will be making my intercooler piping, exhaust, and wiring my motor up aswell as tuning it when its up and running. I also have a shop lined up for my driveline. I plan on a time frame of two weeks but we all know when things can go wrong they do go wrong. Torque Freaks plan on having it running and driving in a weeks time. I have been doing a lot of research so I have some idea of what kind of work needs to be put in and as of this being my only car, that would be a no.. I do have a Jeep that I am trying to sell but if/ when i sell that I will have availibility to rides...I work with my friend and he passes by my house so he can give me rides and itd be cheaper with gas these days. I was also wondering whats it like to drive these Z's with the swap, I just want to get an idea of what im getting myself into:biggrin:

I will be going to the Campus in Avendale, Arizona. I know that the swap is a big job but I have already accomplished a 440 big block swap into a 1989 ford ranger. My friend and I can do a lot of custom fab. for the motor mounts and tranny mounts so Im not at all worried about it. As for the wiring harness, I am sending the RB harness to McKinney motorsport where they will be making me a full harness. After I get the motor in and the harness back, I plan on taking it to my friend at Torque Freaks here in Portland where he will be making my intercooler piping, exhaust, and wiring my motor up aswell as tuning it when its up and running. I also have a shop lined up for my driveline. I plan on a time frame of two weeks but we all know when things can go wrong they do go wrong. Torque Freaks plan on having it running and driving in a weeks time. I have been doing a lot of research so I have some idea of what kind of work needs to be put in and as of this being my only car, that would be a no.. I do have a Jeep that I am trying to sell but if/ when i sell that I will have availibility to rides...I work with my friend and he passes by my house so he can give me rides and itd be cheaper with gas these days. I was also wondering whats it like to drive these Z's with the swap, I just want to get an idea of what im getting myself into:biggrin:

It's not the fabbing, its the getting the parts and the $$

Guest ON3GO

i wouldnt do it right before school as it wont get done.

if you going into the school not knowing much and plan on doing this 1st then im sure this wont get done.

also please dont go into the school thinking they will teach you how to do this type of work, it wont... i went to UTI.

best of luck but i would just spend the money for the swap on a honda thats reliable.

mike

I have $4500 for the swap, i will probably be able to pull extra if i need it.

Just do more research. i spend 4000 just in the engine and parts and I still need Drive shaft, radiator, and fuel pump to get it running. Not to mention suspension, diff, and brakes. BTW I'm running stock I/C and Manifold. do you get the message...?

just rebuild a l28 turbo. take your time and is a straight up swap. your car would be running still and when the engine is done you can do it on a weekend.

Well, I think the kid has allready made up his mind as he's talking about getting the harness back from Mc stealers. The thing is, if you sre willing to wait, you can get away quite cheaply. You see, i have 4 RB30 bottoms comming my way, 3000$ with shipping to my door, (I'll sell 3, won't cost me a dime. Heck, I'll maybe even make money out of it.) I RB25 vari. cam, 500$ a used T3/T4, 100$ (will do for now) will look into donor injectors a 100 max (used) etc. One thing though, I'm a certified BMW TECH so wirring dos'nt realy scare me. If the kid is as smarts as he sounds and with

UTI training, I'm sure he'll puill it out. I think we should encourage him instead of telling him to go L28T.

Im probably not the only one to say this but i get really frustrated with wiring so thats why i thought mckinney would be a good idea. but if i could get help with a diagram and save 450 bucks then that would be awesome. i would also like to apologize if i asked any questions that are answered in other threads. i know you guys dont like seeing the same thing over and over again and i apologize for that. i have the money to order my motor and i plan on placing the order next week. i have heard good things about venus-auto so Im probably going to go with them. id also like to ask when i will be able to post in the for sale ads because i would like to sell the original motor and transmission in it. thanks for your guys' help i really appreciate it.:burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' I think the kid has allready made up his mind as he's talking about getting the harness back from Mc stealers. The thing is, if you sre willing to wait, you can get away quite cheaply. You see, i have 4 RB30 bottoms comming my way, 3000$ with shipping to my door, (I'll sell 3, won't cost me a dime. Heck, I'll maybe even make money out of it.) I RB25 vari. cam, 500$ a used T3/T4, 100$ (will do for now) will look into donor injectors a 100 max (used) etc. One thing though, I'm a certified BMW TECH so wirring dos'nt realy scare me. If the kid is as smarts as he sounds and with

UTI training, I'm sure he'll puill it out. I think we should encourage him instead of telling him to go L28T.[/quote']

the budget will be heading north rapidly if he decides to go the rb30DET route as he'll be up for a rebuild staight away!!

btw the non VVT head is a better option for the rb30det conversion

paul

That would be great if i can get more info on the rb alexideways. i have a update...i ordered my rb25 last monday from venus and they estimate it'd be here by this wednesday i cant wait! I started pulling out my l28 yesterday but am halted a little bit, moved my car a couple feet in the shop to make more room and snapped a brand new u-joint. and on top of that woke up with a sore throat the next morning and found out i have taunselitous and maybe a case of mono, great huh! but it isnt stopping me, i worked on it today and will hopefully have it out by tomorrow. by the way my friend just bought a 2004 VW R32 and wow that thing is quick....he is the one helping me with the swap. i will hopefully get some pics up when i start fitting the motor in and making mounts. Anyone have any suggestions for ordering the oil pan and sump? My plan was to order from nismoparts but if anyone can get me a better deal that'd be great!