HybridZ

Smoothness of BMW V12

RacerX

I'm aware that the inline 6 cylinder engine is inherently well balanced as opposed to a V6. My question is - does the BMW V12 engine having 2 banks of 6 cylinders share the smoothness of the inline 6?

Thanks in advance for your observations!

RacerX

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The V12 BMW is a wonderfully smooth engine when running right it is almost turbinelike.. speaking from experience - we have a couple V12 bmw 750il's as well as the same engine in a 280z based ferrari replica.

Their original commercial for the 750 had a coin balanced on it's edge on the engine as they revved it and it didn't fall over - and this is not hard to duplicate.

and yes they are plentiful and cheap and will fit in a 280z... but it takes a lot of work to get it all in there and working.

Chelle

hiya, it uses a chain for timing and another chain to drive the oil pump.

It has a front oil sump so you need to either make a custom crossmember for it to clear or you need to convert it to dry sump (that's what we did) Dry sump will add a LOT of money to the cost.

Figure the pump is $800, tank is $400+, a few hundred for lines, filters, and brackets even if you make them yourself. The engine is pretty light and all aluminum, weighs less than a iron block chevy V8.

here's some info clipped from previous posts

here's a couple other pics..

Firse is a decent view of the engine

next the new RonDavis radiator

then with the filters and dry sump tank fitted,

finally, a couple pics in the shop where you see it and a few others like a Grand Sport corvette replica

behind the Vette is an insane Datsun with RB26DET..and the other side of the shop in the next pic is a 1000hp Harley that should do 228mph in the 1/4 mile

it's more visible in last two

GTO-engine0119.jpg

GTO-engine0086.jpg

GTO-Engine0058.jpg

GTO-engine0080.jpg

GTOatJims0084.jpg

GTOatJims0081.jpg

We eliminated the distributors so had to make covers over the end of the cams where the stock dist. drives were. Made a new drive hub and mounting bracket for the drysump pump, and put in a new RonDavis radiator (which necessitated making a spacer to redirect the waterneck as the radiator now has both inlet and outlet on the left side).. here's a pair of pics of the changes to the front of the engine . The throttles are off and intakes taped shut in these pics as we are making some mods to them.

GTO-engine0087a.jpg

GTO-engine0090a.jpg

Here's some images

First one - wow.. looks too big! (but don't worry - it does fit)

BMW_oil.jpg

Here's the massive front sump:

BMW_oila.jpg

And here is why the pan needs to be so huge:

BMW_oilb.jpg

BMW_oilc.jpg

BMW_oild.jpg

With the pump out and tin bottom pan off, there's a lot of wasted space!

BMW_oile.jpg

BMW_oilf.jpg

Here's a dry sump external pump on Jay's Ultima

drysum1.jpg

Here is what he did to modify his oilpan. He sawed off the kicked out sides and made a flat pan.

drysum2.jpg

drysum3.jpg

Here's the engine with no pan,and stock pump removed.

GTO-engine1.jpg

Here's the windage tray attached to the pan

GTO-drysump1.jpg

Pan sitting on bench

GTO-drysump2.jpg

Pan sitting on the engine, in some of these you will see the custom engine mounts we made.

GTO-drysump7.jpg

GTO-drysump8.jpg

I made some changes and recessed the firewall to set the engine back further and lower..

Chelle

GTO-enginetest1.jpg

GTO-enginetest2.jpg

GTO-enginetest3.jpg

Sweet. But there is something to be said about feeling each cylindar fire like in an old school SBC V8. At around 1200rpm It growls like a lion, but doesn't lug, just power. I like to cruze at 1200-1500 the sound can't be beat IMO.

Very tempting, but naaa, I'll stick with the SBC. I like the vibration, it's in all the right places. IMO.:icon42:

I still drool everytime I see your car chelle! I hope my V12 powered Ferrari replica looks half as good as yours! I hope you wouldn't mind too terribly if I bugged the crap out of you with questions as I get closer to my V12 install. What transmission did you end up using in your car and how difficult was it to adapt?

btw, your hood latches are awesome!

Ernie, if you drop me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you a video of a BMW V-12 engine running with a nickle standing on end, then stopping, then starting and running again with the nickle still standing on end. They had to block off the fan to keep from blowing the coin over, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Shouldn't that be true with any V12? It runs so smoothley because of the power pulse correct? Meaning that there are less degrees of crankshaft rotation between each power pulse (or power stroke) in a V12 than a V8. Making for a smoother idleing/revving motor. Does that sound right or am I imagining things?

Also isn't there a vidoe of the Jaguar V12 with a glass of wine of the hood as well?

Tyson

Also isn't there a vidoe of the Jaguar V12 with a glass of wine of the hood as well?

Tyson

I think the smoothness of the V12 Jag has to do with the heavy flywheel and the iron pulleys. My friend’s dad had a ’49 Caddy flat head V8 that could do the same thing. We would stair in awe when this car would silently idle. When asked, his dad said it was the heavy flywheel/converter that made it run smooth.

I took all that stuff off my 12 for a faster revving motor. It’s smooth but I wouldn't put anything but an empty glass on it. Wine is too dear to risk a spill.

hiya' date=' it uses a chain for timing and another chain to drive the oil pump.

It has a front oil sump so you need to either make a custom crossmember for it to clear or you need to convert it to dry sump (that's what we did) Dry sump will add a LOT of money to the cost.

Figure the pump is $800, tank is $400+, a few hundred for lines, filters, and brackets even if you make them yourself. The engine is pretty light and all aluminum, weighs less than a iron block chevy V8.

here's some info clipped from previous posts

here's a couple other pics..

Firse is a decent view of the engine

next the new RonDavis radiator

then with the filters and dry sump tank fitted,

finally, a couple pics in the shop where you see it and a few others like a Grand Sport corvette replica

behind the Vette is an insane Datsun with RB26DET..and the other side of the shop in the next pic is a 1000hp Harley that should do 228mph in the 1/4 mile

it's more visible in last two

First one - wow.. looks too big! (but don't worry - it does fit)

[img']http://members.core.com/%7Esysadmin/personal/BMW_oil.jpg[/img]

that's what she sid ;)

but honetly, cheap? I'd be down for a v12 in my Z but I don't see anything v1 being cheap.

that's what she sid ;)

but honetly' date=' cheap? I'd be down for a v12 in my Z but I don't see anything v1 being cheap.[/quote']

Go to Car-parts.com and search for a 1992 BMW 750i engine in your area, it will run between $500-$1500 depending on condition. There are always rebuilt ones on ebay also.

Love the replica and the Grand Sport... I had to wipe my chin after seening two beautiful cars like those..

Well the Vette is a beauty, not mine though. It's owned by a local Vette nut :) I'm not sure how many others he has, but I know he also has a very clean ZR1 as well.

Some really high dollar cars are in my area. A couple months ago there was also a alloy body cobra replica in the shop owned by a local racer

here's a pic of it

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/MORRIS0028.JPG

Chelle