HybridZ

Smoothness of BMW V12

RacerX

Well the Vette is a beauty' date=' not mine though. It's owned by a local Vette nut :) I'm not sure how many others he has, but I know he also has a very clean ZR1 as well.

Some really high dollar cars are in my area. A couple months ago there was also a alloy body cobra replica in the shop owned by a local racer

here's a pic of it

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/MORRIS0028.JPG

Chelle

I'm trying to get a job at a zr1 specialty shop. the owner has like 4 or 5 zr1s and works on this F40 that's got the current highscpeed scca record of 245mph

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE!!!!!!

When I read that the V12s could be had for 500-1500$$$... my jaw dropped...

That seems hard to believe.. considering a GSX Motorcycle engine would cost at least that much... usually more.... Is that in American dollars... in American juckyards????

If it is.. then I am dropping the idea of the $4000 Chevy V8 track engine... V-12 here i come...!!! What do the matching BMW manual trannies go for...???

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone wants one I am getting rid of one of my V12 BMW's.. Interior got soaked (it was my daily driver) so I'm getting rid of it. It has a clear title and I also have a parts car with perfect interior but if someone wants a V12 that absolutely runs to do an engine swap this is a good way to get one. I'm in Chicago area.

e-mail me for the details

Chelle

• 4 weeks later...

hell, I rather put something like this in my car than that Lexus engine I was contemplating. $1500? I'd do it. I wanted to do one of those 250 kits anyway. By the way, I like your custom mounted engine-bay phone.:-P

lol..

I think I can do the posting sound - maybe I'll do a short video clip soon. I have never posted/hosted video or audio so that may take a few days..

We took it to a show yesterday and had lots of fun :)

I'll post a few shots as soon as I upload them

Chelle

Chelle' date=' your car is spectacular. Is that you in this photo?

*edit* Please tell me that isn't a broom handle hood prop?![/quote']

lol, no - that was just someone at the show..

older pic but this is me with the GTO before we redid everything

and nope - the hood brace is a piece of 3/4" thickwall chome-moly tubing

Chelle

me_and_gto.jpg

Chelle what a terrific job you've done. My V12 is at the engine builder's shop, and I've decided to put it into a scratch built, tubeframe GT40 replica project. Not exactly being faithful to the blue oval diehards, but it should be a real interesting project.

Last time we corresponded, you were thinking about using either the Electromotive or the SDS EMS? Which did you settle on, and how did it work out for you?

I'm still planning on dual EMS's and an ITB induction system. Ought to look and sound pretty sweet with 12 intake trumpets. I'm also using the later M73 "stroker" crank, along with a linered early block, and am hoping to get around 5.7-6.0 litres displacement as Jay has done.

Really like those billet distributor drive covers you made - did you happen to make an extra set (hint, hint)?

John

Thanx John,

your project sounds fun too - I'm thinking next maybe an Enzo replica.. I don't even like the Enzo all that much but do like the idea of annoying FNA :)

I settled on the Electromotive.. all around I'm very happy with the choice.

I'd love to have 12 individual throttlebodies, and may make a custom intake this winter if i'm not committed by then lol

The covers are pretty simple to turn on lathe - just have to remember to cup out the backside to clear the ends of the cams. I'll likely make more when I get to starting the next project

keep us informed how your build is coming

Chelle

Chelle, if you prefer the classic rounded lines of the 60's, have a look at www.sportscarfactory.com They do a very nice XJ13 replica, which is already setup for a V12. It's a beautiful car, but a bit too batmobile for me.

Also, Fran Hall of Race Car Replicas does a gorgeous Ferrari P4 replica: http://race-car-replicas.com/RCRP4.html and you ought to be able to charm him into to stretching it a bit for a V12. After all, didn't Enzo himself once say, "It's not a REAL Ferrari unless it has a V12!" Fran's right there in Detroit, too, so not that far away from you.

On your current build, other than the EMS and dry sump setup, did you stay out of the engine internals? No rebuilding, linering, head porting, cams or other? If so, do you think you "found" any power in this motor with your Electromotive setup?

This engine seems to have so much potential, it's a pity BMW gave it such mild cams and low compression. But then, they probably didn't plan on people hotrodding it :-)

I'm hoping with the additional displacement, and the other goodies, we'll see between 375 and 400 BHP, which is up around 100 BHP from the stock figure, and is still only 70 BHP per litre. That's about the same output as more contemporary DOHC motors are making, so I think/hope it's achievable.

Lastly, I don't want to hijack this thread, so if anyone objects, please sing out, and I'll take this private.

Thx,

John