HybridZ

How to get rid of shell

So my 78 coupe has a dent in the rear quarter panel. I didn't want to fix it since it also has over 300K on the chassis and I bought a younger 130K 1977 coupe to replace it. I am in the process of stripping all the god parts off the 78 which I replaced when it was my daily driver. My question is this: How do I get rid of a chassis that has no doors (promised them to DavyZ), only the engine block and head, and virtually no interior? I would like to not have to put the old suspension on it from the 77 after I take the new Tokicos from the 78 but it should roll I guess. Do I just call a tow truck and have it taken to a junk yard? I will probably take the steering rack, diff, half shafts, drive shaft, rear brakes, front brakes, etc off of it as spare parts to keep. I live in Oakland CA and would need to get rid of it by the 15th of next month after it is stripped. Never done this before so I don't have any clue. Unless someone wants a shell with one dent around the rear drivers tail light for free to pick up then what are my options. It really has no rust on the frame. Floors are great, battery area with only slight surface rust, frame rails good etc. It could be chopped up for good parts I guess.

Thanks for the advice, I can post pictures if anyone wants,

Kyle

Two years ago I cut up a 76 2+2 in my drive way with a Harbor Freight 4 1/2 inch cutting wheel. Of course I went through about 20 wheels but it was interesting cutting it up. The chunks were small enough to fit in my garbage receptical.

It was kind of funny as I kept it under an old car cover. The cover kept getting smaller and smaller until there was nothing left! It took about 6 weeks to get rid of all the small pieces.

If you can't sell or give it away, and you can't keep it, I second the "call the junkyard," and the (Great shot Auxilary) the sawsall techniques. Around here, with a title signed and noted "junk" you can have it hauled off and get $25 for the shell, no need to cut it up. Check your local classifieds ads. It's a good way to clean out the garage of old flywheels, cracked heads, etc, while you are at it. You don't even need wheels on it, set it up on a couple of blocks or your floor jack, and they will drag it on to the truck or trailor.

Awesome picture. I'll call around and find out what they will give me. I wish I could beam it to one of you north east guys. The car treated me so well for a few years and is really salvagable. I might just shed a tear when it goes. I do have the title for it and it is smogged current too. It just won't be in any shape to run when I am done with it. But it will be free to anyone who wants a shell untill the middle of next month. I guess I will open up the yellow pages tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Kyle

I stripped one and took everything off of it. We screwed a couple boards across the floorboards. Then we greased up the rails on my friend's trailer. We pulled the trailer as far underneath the car as we could, then lifted the front of the car and set it on the trailer. Then we winched the car up on the trailer. When we got to the junkyard we chained the body to a post outside and drove the trailer out from under the car. It was pretty redneck, but it worked!

I just dissasembled the couple I've done while on the trailer. Then the guy at the scrap yard picked it off the trailer with a crane. Got $54 and change last weekend for a giant rust bucket 280zx after I pulled engine and trans from it.

I've been considering buying a truck and trailer and driving cars back up here from the southwest. Could be profitable. maybe...

i wanna start buying some katrina cars that would be good candidates for swaps and such.

since i'm the type to take a car back down to bare metal, i'd just sandblast the mold and rust off the car, and then patch it up , and POR15 Paint the entire chassis.

that should hold up nice =)

just gotta find someone who markets the cars as katrina cars, instead of saying "nooooo... its brand new! never flooded!"