HybridZ

Truck Hybrid project?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Guys i need a truck... bad.

im about to my limit on what i can stuff in my scion and plus i wanna sell it because i really dont need it if i can get something else thats reliable.

I want something that i can tow my Z's with but i cant afford a new F150 or Titan.... plus i cant afford the gas.

Im not so sure if i can get a SBC to get good enough gas mileage, nor am i very good with carbs at all.

i know turbos very well but i wouldnt know where to start with a truck.

i could put together a KA turbo setup in a nissan hardbody truck for cheap and make it pretty quick but i doubt it could tow a Z with a trailer...

what you guys think???

i dont want to spend the cash on like a LS1 for a nissan or toyota truck, that wouldnt be worth it.

any ideas guys.

mike

I use Toyota trucks with the V6 and a car dolly no problem. If you are using a trailer then you need to consider the V8 powered trucks.

It is a balance based on the amount of towing you will do. If you tow alot it might be better to get the power of a V8, if you towing is occasional a V6 of straight 6 will get you by.

Base it all on weight of what your likely to tow. A tractor or small dozer on a 10,000 lbs cap trailer and you should look into a 3/4 or 1 ton. 2500lbs car on the avg car trailer and a light duty 1/2 or full size import truck is suitable.

Hey Mike, I had a 1989 Nissan Hardbody 2x2 shortbed 5spd, and I added the chrome bumper so I could get access to a ball mount from the junk yard. I was able to tow a 1970's MFG 16 1/2 foot tri hull boat with a 85 hp outboard johnson with ease, I never overheated and I had no problems getting it off the ramp. I know my boat weighed more than any Z even if you put a fat lady in it...

Here is the pic before I added the bumper

1989_Nissan_Euro.JPG

I did have to raise the suspension back up before I started towing. If I remember correctly I was good for 3500lbs

What about an S-10 V8 swap? You could pick one up fairly cheap and put in an LT1 for not to much dough

I was watching one of those weekend Power Block shows the other week and they were doing a complete swap for less than 10K (including truck, engine, upgrades). I'm sure you could do it much cheaper.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8.html

I hate to state the obvious, but older Dodge Dakotas had the venerable 318 from the factory. Plenty of parts available to work on it to get better gas mileage and/or towing power.

I've seen early 90's 2 wheel drives/318's selling for under 4K in fair shape.

The best thing about the Dakota is that it is a little larger truck and probably has a higher towing capacity. Plus, you can buy one with a 4 or 6 and swap in a small block using all factory parts with no fabricating or trial and error.

I've towed with a early dodge Dak and don't recommend it without some major rework of the stock suspension. It is one damn scary unit to tow with. I had an S-10 2wd Blazer with a 327/ T5 / 3.23 and it towed the z like a dream while getting pretty decent mileage.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest solution is to get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8065623039

attach it to your scion and get a harbor freight dinghy, haha. I was going to do that when I was thinking about selling the truck.

I have an 05 camo green 5sp as well. It's a great daily driver compared to my isuzu spacecab. the ride could be a bit nicer though... its sorta harsh with the factory kyb's.

What's your budget on the truck? 3000, 4000, 5000, 35000? Budget constraints can make a difference.

I've heard that the older diesel surburbans make about 20-25mpg and come in the 3/4 ton variety for pretty cheap. (I've seen them for a few grand with claims of 30mpg?) Maybe someone can give input on the 6.2l.

Guest 73Turbo240z

my v6 p.o.s. hauled the Pinks car around fine... aside from the smell of gear oil now permiating my interior... works fine.

And explorers are dirt cheap... as is it's 4.0l powerplant.

• 4 months later...
Guest TwistyFriZ

hey let me tell ya now, get a jeep cherokee!! the 4.0 with an auto or 5 speed would tow a z NO PROBLEM, and my jeep over our summer vacation to myrtle beach got 22.7 mpg on the highway driving around in the mountains where i live, i average between 18-21 thats pretty good for a 4.0 liter automatic with 30 inch tires... ive towed a load of about 3500lbs or so and it pulled it fine:):) make sure its a plain old cherokee though, not a grand... they still have the solid axles and all that good stuff.... but you dont want quadtratec

My buddy has a Dakota that would prolly pull anything you can hook up to it. Of course, its not street legal, and youd have to have a hell of a drop hitch to hook anything up anyway...lol. It has K5 axles, and a transplanted chevy TB V8 with a th350 tranny. On the upside, it does a great job of crushing junk cars....lol

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=40065562&imageID=665031298

I pulled a boat with my dads 1997 toyota T100 and it has a 3.4 V6 and it pulled the boat fine and if you drive it careful you get around 18 or 19 around town, 15 at the worst, and thats speeding everywhere. 20-22 on the highway. My brother has a 1999 ford ranger with the 4.0 V6 and that pulled the boat fine, personally I liked the toyota better, and we pulled the boat with my sisters 2000 4runner with the 4 cylinder and that pulled it almost as good as my dads truck, its only about 10 or 20 horses less than my dads truck. But for your needs any truck with a 6 cylinder will be more than enough power and some 4's, in my opinion.

Have you thought about an older full size truck? My hauler is a 93 Chevy Silverado. 350, auto, long wheelbase, 2 wheel drive. Has towed anything I've asked, 8 foot bed will carry most anything, and probably not too expensive to purchase. One drawback is it holds 34 gallons of gas and the best milage it ever got was about 19.89 or something when new!

chris