HybridZ

Is it possible to swap a 350sbc in a 71 240z for 1500 or under?

Well I am posting another question about v8's.I recently wrecked my 84 turbo,[at a stop sign,it was raining,didn't see him]

And have been looking for a replacement,I can't seem to find hardly any Z in MI or close enough to get.I am also conserdering a toyota supra turbo but they are going for to much.

Anyhow I found a 71 datsun for sale in mi at zcar .com http://www.zcar.com/classifieds/index.php?method=showdetails&list=advertisement&rollid=32987&fromfromlist=classifiedscategory&fromfrommethod=showhtmllist&fromfromid=29&

Do you think this is a good price?also since it dosn't run and the 240z engines arn't very powerfull I was thinking of maybe a 350 sbc swap.The problem is I only have about 3200 total,[he is asking 1800 for the car]would it be possible to swap a 350 for 1500 or under?I have a buddy who would help[he mostly works on his 240sx but is good mechanicly]The engine would come from a low milage truck there are tons in junkyards,my buddy said 350s are easy and cheap to rebuild and have a lot of aftermarket parts so I could get it going and then build it up bit by bit.

I like the idea of a light weight 240 with a v8,except the gas milage,what do you think it would get?16highway 10 city?,but can it be done on my budget?is there a certain year model of car that would be the easiest to use?

should i consider this an option or save up and buy a 240-280 allready v8ted or turbo 280- 300zx?

Also what about a 350v8 in a 260?There is one for sale in the classifieds here nearly done for 2500,it's in texas but maybe I could have it shipped,would that be alright,or is there somethin wrong with 260zs as nobody seams to talk about them,are they the fat lazy kid in a family of atheleats?

Thanks

A thorough search in this forum will answer all the questions you asked.

That said, buying a converted car will save you money. Anything is possible given your budget, but I would bet against it because it is not probable.

The 260Z is a fine car, there are just fewer of them around.

Davy

Guest TegRacer324

I'm not an expert as I haven't even started mine in the year I've had my car, but I'd say it would be possible IF the car needed nothing else done to it. The problem is once you start ripping it apart it's gonna be well this needs to be done or that needs to be done or mine as well do this and mine as well do that.

If 3200 includes the price of the car, then no. There have been a few documented cases of swaps for as little as $1500. But in your case with an unknown car, I would say that is asking alot. Like suggested above, read a few threads and find out.

BTW, if the car is truely rust free and only needs engine work to get started, then $1800 is a steal. If the dash is uncracked and the bumpers straight, then that is over half the purchase price right there.

"Rust free" is a relative term that depends on whether the person is buying or selling. Too many guys have gone to look at "rust free" cars only to find cars with gaping holes in the floor boards.

Keep in mind these cars are OLD. I have owned my California born 71 for 18 years, the last 6 of which have been garaged. I am starting to work on it and finding that every piece of rubber I touch virtually disintegrates. That car will almost certainly need new weatherstrip, seals, fresh brakes, steering rack boots, firewall grommets and most importantly, new gas tank vent hoses. The gas fumes will kill you otherwise. On the plus side, complete, running 240 engines can be had for as little as $500. I might even have one for sale soon.

But even with all that, such an old car may prove to be a less than reliable daily driver. You will have to work on it to keep in going. My suggestion would be to LOOK AT THE CAR CAREFULLY. Then if you buy it see if you can get it running somewhat reliably on L6 power first.

Okay Z, here's a thread I started awhile ago about the "hidden" cost of a V-8 conversion. You might take a read of it ...[url']http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100779[/url]

Ah, that's the one I wanted him to see. There are a few more running around as well; older, but still relevant to his question.

BTW, be forewarned not to ask questions that have been answered time & time again. In other words, the search function is your friend; you use it similar to "googling" a search. Good luck.

Davy

Ok thanks,I guess it costs to much unless I get the car for cheap,or partially completed.The problem is with a 240z you'r only option I see done is a swap,what other options are there?I mean the engine is small[compared to a v8]and not a turbo,what else can you do to get muscle car performance?To bad I can't drop in my vg30et after a rebuild and afew mods[it has 198000 miles on it]to get 350-400RWHP, that power in a car that light... would be pretty bad:twisted:

Have you considered a turbo swap? I'm doing one right now, and the major cost so far has been buying tools, which if you already have makes it fairly inexpensive.

I paid $700 for my turbo car which ran but was in crappy condition (dented, rusted, torn up). Past that, you don't need to buy a swap kit or any of that. You will need to convert some of the systems (like the fuel tank) to work with FI. But, for that specifically you only need to find a fuel tank from a 75 or 76 280Z.

As per power, boost is the limit. You won't get 350-400whp by just cranking up the boost - but I doubt that it's that simple on a VG30 either.

Just throwing it out there.

Ok thanks everbody for you'r help,I did do a search before asking but I didn't see one done on a budget like mine,so I asked if it was possible.maybe I didn't search correctly but I apologize.

Woj what do you mean turbo swap?do you mean putting a turbo on the l24or can you just drop in a l28et?I am not fussy what I use,I just want something affordable,somewhat reliable.I would eventually like to get around 300-350 rwhp.I mostly want enough power to smoke the tires in a few gears and to beat mustangs,comaros and older vettes, [i am talking about stock or only lightly modified cars not the ones that the guygirl spend hours and many many bucks modding and takes to the stip and runs 11s]I am not trying to run 11's[but If I can that's great]

I should ask on the I6 forum to see what my options are.

Thanks.

Woj what do you mean turbo swap?do you mean putting a turbo on the l24or can you just drop in a l28et?

I should ask on the I6 forum to see what my options are.

Thanks.

I started to respond to this in about five different ways, so let's try this...

Before you post in the L6 forums read this sticky from the Turbo/Supercharger Forum.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

LARRY

Hey guys what do you think about this Z? z?http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=2456&cat=8

Doest it look like an ok deal?THe biggest problem is it's in texas[i'm in MI]so shipping it might cost to much.what do you think of the setup?

I don't know much about small blocks, but I'm trying to learn,is there an faq or site that has all the info in an easy to understand way like the ones on the vg30et engines?

I am sorry if I pissed anybody off,I don't mean to,I do try to search before asking questions but sometimes I can't find the answers or I need an answer specific to my problem,If the answer was already posted I apologise.Thanks.

You're not pissing anyone off, at least you're trying.

That car looks like a good deal, lots of parts, and work already done. But you said you had $3200, and you still have to have it shipped up, that leaves no money left over. If I were you I'd save atleast another $3000 to get you started

It sounds like this car would be your daily driver. If so, do please think twice before tackling an engine swap! A hobby-car could be built at your leisure, and with enough deal-making acumen and technical skill, you might indeed be able to meet your goals for price and performance – either with a small block Chevy, or turbo L6, or some other variation. But please, ask yourself again if you wish to encumber yourself with the risk, the hassle and uncertainty of relying on a custom hybrid as your only transportation!

OKAY Z,

Why not use your VG30ET in the swap instead of a SBC? It would save you a lot of money, I think?

You already have the drivetrain, all you would need is a shell/rolling chassis. Just tryin to help.

BTW my Dad may part with his pristine 87 Z31 soon. I will let you know if he does.

BTW' date=' if the car is truely rust free and only needs engine work to get started, then $1800 is a steal. If the dash is uncracked and the bumpers straight, then that is over half the purchase price right there.

.[/quote']

So would it be safe to say that the almost rust-free, leaky seal-free, complete, running 280Z 2+2 with an extra rebuilt L28 for $700 be considered a "steal". No bondo, no dents, but needs paint.:mrgreen:

Well i'm still looking and thinking.YEs the car would be daily driver but the crappy Job I am working at is only a 2 miles from home,and I could probly barrow my mom or dads car if I had to.THere might be an opening loading truck at a dairy and they pay 15 per hour with overtime,so if I get that job I can probly afford a beater,thinking old toyota,and then save for a really nice z,after a month or so I could spend around 6000 and get a nice one.THe biggest set back is I'm having sinus sugery[i have a deviated septum and clogged sinuses]and won't be able to work for at least 2 weeks maybe more.

do you guys I think I can sell my wrecked z for at leat 1200?,From the engine bay back it's in good shape,brand new tires,engine still runs,ect.if I sell it for 1200 I'll have 4000.I should be able to get a decent z for that,problem there arn't many in the MI area.I wouln't sell it if I can get anoter z31 as I'd use it for parts.

Racinjitter I have been looking for a z31 rolling chassins or complete car with blown motor in with a good body to swap my parts into but no luck so far.If you'r dad sells his z let me know?is it a turbo or na? is it a 5spd?I would also consider a l28 turbo swap into 240-280 but again not many around.I keep hoping someone will have a v8 240-280 for sale in MI for around 4000,I have seen a bunch in CA and the TX area but not any in the MI are yet.I might also get a 240sx and turbo that if I can get one in good shape and cheap,butI don't like thme as much as a z.

Thank you everbody for taking time to answer my qustions.If I get another Z I'll post back and let you know.

So would it be safe to say that the almost rust-free, leaky seal-free, complete, running 280Z 2+2 with an extra rebuilt L28 for $700 be considered a "steal". No bondo, no dents, but needs paint.:mrgreen:

Yeah, I would. The 240's are worth a good bit more than 280's and the 2+2 lowers the price even more. Straight, rust free bodies are where it is at.

But some items on these old cars command a real premium. A new dash for a 240 sells for upwards of $1000 and I have seen bumpers sell for half that.

My Dad's car is an 87 N/A 2+2 auto. He is the original owner, no winters, very little rain= no rust. I think right now it has almost 80k on the odometer.

How bad is the damage? Do you have pics? Is it fixable? There are a lot of parts available in our area. You may want to ask 88hybrid, as he has access to a junkyard and probably has a rolling chassis sitting there. He is in St. Loius. That is about a 6 hour dirve? Not too sure I cant remember the last time I went through there. http://www.88hybrid.com/ Give him a shout, I am willing to bet he has a few chassis' for you.