HybridZ

Has anyone sprayed water based paints?

RacerX

Whether you sprayed a small panel, stripes, designs or a whole car. What was your observation? Did you like the way it sprayed?

I sprayed a hood with waterbase paint from Auto Air Color. It's a different animal from what I am acustomed to.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

RacerX

Guest ON3GO

i did at school, sprayed a fender and a hood.

it sprayed real fast, atleast for me.

it wasnt very thick and i felt it was easy to run.

but then again im just a newb at painting.

mike

Racer X,

have been toying with idea of spraying the auto color water based paints on my son's baja.

been reading about it in magazines and on the web for couple years now.

how'd you find it ?

E Z for a beginner that's only assisted others when they were painting cars ?

articles make it seem that any competent fool can use it. i think i fit in that category.

thanks, wayne

Racer X,

various magazines have had articles on the paint.

couple years back ( give or take ) street rodder magazine did a write up on it.

to show how easy it was to use, they painted a 32 ford pickup door.

they spent most of the article showing how to paint flames and such.

eastwood sells it.

i think this is the official website

http://www.autoaircolors.com/features.htm

from what i read, makes it appear that a person of limited talent can paint with it.

means i might be able to paint a car with it.

i am real tempted to try it.

i have the compressor and a hvlp gun. hoses, air dryer and filter. various body working tools.

of course having the stuff doesn't mean i know how to use it.

the auto air stuff looks to be very forgiving.

i really want to try it.

yep good selling point to me was "person of limited talent can paint with it ". LOL only place ive found it for sell around here was OKC and i picked up some of the semi metalic blue for a gas tank on my friends Harley... he painted it and i did the fenders .. if you use this stuff.... do EXACTely what it says on the website about the base coats or it will ... bleed through horribly.

only problem is they dont have a waterbased clear coat yet so you have to use a normal one which kinda defeats the ozone friendly aspect of garage painting. but damn does it dry nice.

i was rereading at the website.

says to use heat to cure the paint.

i had read that before but, don't remember there being as much emphasis on the heat.

must be because of what you mentioned about the bleed through.

says to make sure it's a warm day, the layers of paint are sprayed on thin.

how long does it take to dry ?

they suggest on a tank or something you should use a hair dryer or something.

street rodder painted a 32 ford door, used a hot air gun to dry it.

is drying time a big issue ?

i don't own an oven big enough to roast a 3700 pound car.

website and magazine articles present this as being a paint that is user friendly. that heat thing has me perplexed.

i'm kinda considering the stuff to be a kin to laquer. thin coats, if one screws up a little sanding, spray another thin coat.

have sprayed laquer, have sanded laquer, again i have never sprayed a whole car. door and front fender of 65 corvette. painter let me get some practice in.

his shop, his car. he'd strip the vette bare and repaint it every couple years.

Bill Wright in san jose. lost contact with him many years ago.

with the exception of the heat curing, this auto air formulated paint, from what i have read, very much reminds me of laquer.

thin coats, sand between. spray 12 or so coats of laquer, let it dry color sand it and clear coat it. get high as a kite spraying laquer. i didn't get high, gave me a horrible headache and stomach ache.

maybe this stuff is water based laquer LOL ... i know it's not but could be what they were shooting for.

might try it on the baja bug my son and i are slowly building.

remember, quality requires time and attention !!!

I tried to get set up as a dealer for them when I was trying to help a buddy build his shop into something bigger. They said they'd have a rep contact me twice, and never did. Didn't sit too well.

I heard about it through an article in Truckin' magazine. They did some hideous graphics on a Tacoma hood and fenders. It seemed to work pretty well, easy clean up, and they used a heat gun to help cure it faster but it wasn't required they said. The benefit is you CAN use a heat gun without blowing yourself up.

The benefit is you CAN use a heat gun without blowing yourself up.

You don't know me very well ! LOL

i am still very tempted to try this.

if i do screw up, looks like i can remove it and pay a pro to paint for me a lot easier than if i screwed up with acrylic enamel.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought several small bottles of it recently to play with at an art store. They sell it in the airbrush section. I got a white primer sealer, a pearl white, a black, and a green. I pulled out an old banged up motorcycle tank, and went to spraying with my detail gun. Observations:

I had no real problem with drying on a semi hot day (since I was just playing/practicing with it, I was painting outside). However, I think I was spraying it to dry to start with.

The pearl white came out really well over the white primer (the primer was for use under light colors)

The green and black came out kinda "ehhh", no better than rattle can paint. Not overly suprising since there was little prep work, and it was sprayed over a white primer.

Speaking of rattle can paint, I cleared it with some Duplicolor rattle can clear (remember, I'm "playing"), which did nothing to help the shine.

I believe with some proper clearcoat, the paint can look good. The pearl is really cool looking, even if not overly shiny with the crap clear I put on it.

A big plus is the setup and cleanup! Open the bottle, pour it in your gun. When you're finished, run some water through the gun, and you're basically done!

So check out your local art supply place, and pickup a couple of bottles, and see what happens.