HybridZ

Can anyone tell me what this is??

Guest mikedick6969

Guest mikedick6969

Alright. Ill mention that to my cousin. Hes heavy into the electronics, so he will be heading up this operation. He also works on cars endlessly it seems. I just tried it myself to learn something here. And I have thanks to this site. Thanks again dude!

Guest mikedick6969

Ok changed the relay today. Got to finally take it for a drive. It was nice and fast. Ran good after I changed a bad spark plug. I even had the cops called on me for my antics up and down the road. Aside from a weird idle, it runs great, and plenty of power. When I push in the clutch, the idle stays at 2000 til I stop completely, then it returns to 900. Any help on that would be great. Besides that, the tire pressures sucked, and the suspension had lots of drift to it. All problems for a different time. I cant wait to drive it every day this summer!!

Guest mikedick6969

This one stays at 2000 when I push in the clutch, til I come to a complete stop, then after 2-3 seconds returns to 900 or so. I was thinkin maybe a throttle position sensor. Maybe im wrong though. It could also be a vaccum issue. I believe those are power brakes, so maybe that? I dunno. Ill be sure to post it here when it gets sorted out.

Guest mikedick6969

Just drove it back to my house from storage. It seems the idle floats on up to 3000 sometimes when I engage the clutch. Again it has plenty of power. Got it up to 95mph, and the float and sway in the suspension was so bad, I dont think ill be doin that again til I remedy that problem. If I just start it up and run it, it idles fine. When I rev it, or drive it the throttle problem is evident.

Correction, it is a fuel damper used to even out fluctuations in fuel pressure.

I might just come off as a douchebag here, but isn't that just what a fuel pressure regulator is for? Not the primary use, I know, but it would stop fluctuations, wouldn't it?

Datsun installed it in conjunction with the fpr for a reason. If the fuel pressure supplied to the regulator is pulsing, then the pressure yielded by the regulator will fluctuate as well. Picture how the regulator works. It's an adjustable restriction in the return line to the tank, referenced from intake manifold pressure. It won't adjust to fluctuations in the line leading up to it, and so the pressure in the fuel rail will be uneven. After the regulator these fluctuations might be evened out, but by that time the fuel is just returning to the tank. The fuel pressure on the injectors is what counts.

That said, with a quality pump and no restrictions leading up to the pump, fuel pressure fluctuations shouldn't be an issue to begin with. I no longer run the damper with my walbro pump and the pressure is perfectly steady. I never tried running the stock pump without it, though.

Guest mikedick6969

Im running the stock pump without a regulator, or damper. Runs great, and hauls ***. Only thing is the butterfly sticking the idle at 1500. I'll take it apart this weekend.

It sounds like the BCD device I think that's what it's called...

The Boost Decelleration Device. It's an emisions device so that the throttle doesn't snap close.

Mario

No. Look at the picture and read his description of it. What you are describing is also called a dash-pot and obviously wouldn't be anywhere near the fuel pump. It's a fuel damper.

No. Look at the picture and read his description of it. What you are describing is also called a dash-pot and obviously wouldn't be anywhere near the fuel pump. It's a fuel damper.

i think he is talking about the idle problem ?. i had the same thing. Removed it and no more hunting idle. or steeping up when changing gear

Guest mikedick6969

I have all mine removed (regulator, and damper) and still the idle creeps up. I recently took off the butterfly thing by the air intake, and still has the problem. It was not sticking. I have a few more ECU's laying around. But first I gotta change the Radiator (has a small leak), and the starter (the solenoid seems bad). Im happy to be driving it every day finally. Just hope to get this idle sorted out soon. I may eventually wanna do something with the gearing, 3K RPM@60mph doesnt seem right to me. Its got a buttload of power off the line though. Im pretty glad I got all these spare parts now. The starter and radiator I have in stock!