HybridZ

Got a 78 280z!!!!

I unfortunatly have become the recipeant of a 78 280z through the passing of my father-in-law. But i am tremendously happy to have this car as my project car. We were on the same wavelength on where we wanted to see this car go. After some quick inspection i have found a faulty fuel line, a cracked rear brake line and a torn real axle boot. I am located in Northern Los Angeles and i did some searching to try to find some Z specialty places, or anything close to that, that is close to my neck of the woods. I can't seem to be finding any. I heard of Z works, but i am not sure if this ever existed or still does. If anyone in the LA area could throw out some names of good places it would be much appreciated. I am looking to do a full custom rebuild and am ready to jump in with both feet.

This is my first post and look forward to many more.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Datsun 0041_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to HybridZ. Is this your first Z?

Sorry about the father in law but at least his Z will continue on the right path. Spend alot of time reading this forum. This is the place to be. If that Z ever needs a new home...I will be glad to adopt her. She is beautiful!

Yeah this is my first Z. I would like to get the hp up to 300-350, hopefully naturally aspirated. But if i gotta go turbo i will. Maybe get it up to 400.

your best bet for 350 NA horsepower would probably be an Ellis Juan engine with some minimal aftermarket attention. (LS1)

do a search on "ls1" you will get alot of results...

it is a V8, but it is a reliable v8 if installed correctly. The 6 will be straining to get to that 400hp N/A. It is possible turbo charged, but not without alot of effort.

Wheel Horsepower:

Stock N/A L28 will net you about 250-300 with alot of internal and external work. Semi-Streetable

L28ET will get you 250-350 with little or no internal work. 350-550 with internal and external work. Very Streetable

V8 will get you WHATEVER you want. Very Streetable

VERY GENERAL INFO....search the forums for specifics.

• 1 month later...

Hollywoodman,

Sources of parts / info would include Motorsport Auto in Orange, CA - www.zcarparts.com, John's Cars for LS1 conversions, www.brokenkitty.com, Jags That Run in SCal somewhere for V8 conversions, Rebello Racing for L28 work, www.racetep.com and the list goes on. You really need to spend some time searching this forum and you'll find huge amounts of resources in Southern CA.

Hey hollywood, I live in LA county, if you need a Z buddy let me know. Im not to far away. If you wanna stay with the 6 cylinder you will need turbo for that kind of HP. N/A just isn't realistic. I have a N/A Z now ... If you want some compairison we can get together and drive our Z's. Let me know if you're interested. zeiss150@yahoo.com

Matt- :burnout:

• 2 months later...

Alright, so here are a couple photos of the progress on my Z. The rollpan has been smoothed along with getting rid of the side markers. Yes the front bumper will be changed for the euro bumper and also using a 240 hood. I have decided to swap to a L28et with alot of internal and external work and using megaquirt. I will post more pics as things progress.

Datsun 49_thumb.jpg

Datsun 45_thumb.jpg

Alright, so here are a couple photos of the progress on my Z. The rollpan has been smoothed along with getting rid of the side markers. Yes the front bumper will be changed for the euro bumper and also using a 240 hood. I have decided to swap to a L28et with alot of internal and external work and using megaquirt. I will post more pics as things progress.

Very nice! Im to poor to swap an engine (student) but im going to try and get mine to about 250hp over time. Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So i got to pick up the car from the paintshop and i think it looks pretty darn good. The rolled rear pan is as smooth as a babies bottom. Now it is droped off at the interior shop. As you can tell there is nothing in it and no those teeny tiny speakers are not staying. It will have a much improved system.

Datsun 05711_thumb.jpg

Datsun 06811_thumb.jpg

Datsun 06311_thumb.jpg