HybridZ

A mopared DATSUN

• 3 months later...
Guest remi shitt

i registered just to share something with you guys, i have a 260z and the L26 engine that was into it was too small for my liking so i decided to put a V8 in it, first donnor was a sierra truck with a chevy 454 unlucky me cause there were lots of modifications to supports and suspension so we dropped it.

later on i found a friend who had a 1974 super bee with a blown transmission, i believe it was a 727, so his car didnt worked, somewhat he got tired of the engine and the car itself so he got himself a 360 engine, ending myself with the coolest 318 engine i have ever had (actually the first :D).

we were kind of surprised how ridiculously easy the engine dropped in the 260z the mounts fitted right over the original ones and there was no cutting needed, but to make it possible we put the engine in place WITHOUT the trans, because it was too messy to move around and play with them

once the engine came into place we lifted the car and put the trans, adjusting the umm, i dont know what its called, the tube, that... umm, goes from the transmission to the differential? anyway that said tube ended up being less than 30cms long, wich i believe is real cool. lastly before we finished everything up we opened the diferential and welded the gears. its now positive =D

i think putting a mopar in the 260z is probably the easiest and one of the best swaps that can be done on to it. if you ask me 350's are cool, but man, the question is always the same "charger or corvette?" i rather keep the charger, challenger, duster.... anything.... but the corvette..

besides somewhat 350 engines are not as high revs as mopars are, maybe mopars arent the fastest thing on earth, but hey they can make u ♥♥♥♥ your pants with a nice and quick BRROOOOM!

there are some downsides to mopar, like transmission limitations, i just very recently got myself a manual one and im missing the bellhousing, its not like i cant live without it, but its quite a challenge to find nice parts. i guess its just ok if you sunday drive it like i do, or you can well drive it fast, but remember the girls wont be able to see you clearly if you pass by at 100mph huh?

anyway if any1 have a windshield for a 260z for sale i would be really interested, a bullet came through mine... yes, a bullet.... this is a dangerous town =___=;

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any progress on this? Ive been loking at 318' and 360's lately and wonder what things would have to be done different compared to a conventional 350 sbc. Most of the links and pictures when I searched didnt work.

I have experience with MP engines there is a couple of issues to address. Motor mounts of Course, no one is making them So you are on your own in that department, but i heard you can cut Truck mounts down and they will fit in a Z perfectly..i have seen photos of this being done and i saved them somewhere (greg99 sent them to me) the motor mounts are closer to the front of the engine than a SBC.

Another thing is Transmission options..in the manual dept. ive heard you can adapt the R145 Supra trans. (turbo version). or a keisler kit $$. it allows the TKO to bolt up your application. or you have the old school A-833 and the A833 OD... in the auto dept. you have the venerable 727.904,999 518,618 and their respective models . hope this helps

Im guessing you have a mopar engine in your Z? The 318 seems pretty cheap and can be built up to a quick motor. Id be doing this next summer and am trying to find any info on the swap. What mopar transmissions will bolt up to the 84-88 La 318? Ive only found autos.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121229

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71020&highlight=supra

"

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed and the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5-speed all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern. As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects R154 to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8.

R154 Ratio’s

1st 3.30:1

2nd 1.95:1

3rd 1.34:1

4th 1.00:1

5th 0.75:1

Rev 3.20:1

"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mate that 3.30 1st and .75 5th with a nice 3.something low rear axle and you could get some nice milage and pep from a 318.

There was a really cool Hemi 240Z back during the 10th annual Z Car Covention in York PA. VERY racy....anyone remeber it?

I remember that Jerry - I also remember seeing it at the Atlanta convention a few years earlier, but it wasn't running yet then. It was an old hemi though, smaller than a 426.

• 1 month later...
Guest Z-artist

Oh MY!!!!!! That is the coolest Z I've ever seen! I just purchased a smallblock Chevy Z; but I'm a Mopar guy deep within my veins. I know I'm a newbie around here; but could I get a CD too? I was joking with my wife sayin I want to put a Hemi in the Z; but I didn't know a BB Mopar had been done already! Just let me know what you need. nhrafan@bendbroadband.com

-Ken

• 9 years later...
  • Administrators

Dug around my computer for those photos, I no longer have them, sorry. All I have left is what is in my Photobucket linked below, you will want to copy those right away as I have no idea how much longer Photobucket will host those pics before trying to extort the $400 a year fee they just instated to host them which I will not surrender to, (many have already had their pics locked).

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/BRAAPZ/library/Mopar%20Z?sort=3&page=1

Best of luck with your Mopar Z project, take care,

Paul

Dug around my computer for those photos, I no longer have them, sorry. All I have left is what is in my Photobucket linked below, you will want to copy those right away as I have no idea how much longer Photobucket will host those pics before trying to extort the $400 a year fee they just instated to host them which I will not surrender to, (many have already had their pics locked).

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/BRAAPZ/library/Mopar%20Z?sort=3&page=1

Best of luck with your Mopar Z project, take care,

Paul

Geez Paul you haven't posted since 2015 and this is all we get:)