HybridZ

some pics 280zx 1uzfe

280zx racer

I have a 280zx 2+2 and i thought this would be a great conversion' date='

Got any more details of the engine and transmission mounts? more pics would be great,

The 1uz looks like its a fair way back in the bay, did you mount the engine of the chassis rails?[/quote']

yes i have the back of the engine about 5mm off the firewall and made up my own mounts which are welded to the chassis rails i have some pics of them somewhere but i,ll try to find them sometime and post them up for you guy,s.

chris

See, I told ya people would be interested :D

FWI For HZ memebers I'm 90% sure I'm going 1uz for my motor swap. I've got some location planning to do before I invest in parts but it looks like the best option for me. So I started surfing the lextreme forums again and found 280zx racer's project and told him he should post his project here :D

So again, thanks for letting people know 280zx racer. People out there really want to see his. The ZX cars are a fast growing market as good S30s get harder to find, and cheep S130 cars easier to find.

For reference. His 2+2 is right hand drive so the brake booster is in a totally different location. The USDM cars will have a much larger hurdle to overcome if you want to get the motor that close. but if you move it too far forward the stock headers "might" hit the power steering. There might be room, but it'll be tight. Like I said, i'm still trying to figure it all out. The sump seems to be another source of headache as even the "rear" sump motors are semi center sump. I might try to find a 1uz that's not running for like $200-300 or something so I have something to measure with.

Wrose case senario you do what 280ZX racer did, custom cross member. (correct me if I'm wrong 280zx racer). You'll have to move the brake booster if it's left hand drive or just set the motor a little farther forward.

Mounts don't seem too difficult since the stock mounts should adapt nicely, just not in the stock ZX location.

One of the big reasons I want to do this swap is I want to do something that hasn't really been done before. 280ZX racer is the only person I've found on the net with a 1uzfe in a 280ZX. And I still only know of one other 1uz in a S30 Z car, but there's more likely to be more of those around that are unknown. If I do go through with this it will all the documented very well. Lots of pictures and journals. But I'll be starting this winter at the earliest and possible not till last next summer, as I kinda want to start on other areas as well, such as brakes, suspension, rims, fender flares, paint, ect. We'll see what order things happen.

Hi Im from QLD AUS i have a 280zx and am vrey interested in details of your conversion .are you going manual?which box?Ive priced a kit to fit a man box but it was about $1750.00 do you knowof any cheaper ones?thanks col (belhousing/flywheel/etc kit from dellows engineering)

I'm pretty sure he used the rear sump version. Or at least I think that's what he told me. I'm gonna try to get some dimensions on the pan on the 1uz from the SC400 (rear sump car) so I can be sure of where it's placed.

I am considering this swap in the 510 wagon that I picked up...after the rest of the car is finished..

Any

particular reason you used the center sump version ??

it is a rear sump with a couple of bits cut out of the steel bit at the bottom to clear the steering rack mounts, if i had the finances i would have had a custom sump made, with the crossmember i took off the engine mounts which gave it a cleaner look. chris

See' date=' I told ya people would be interested :D

FWI For HZ memebers I'm 90% sure I'm going 1uz for my motor swap. I've got some location planning to do before I invest in parts but it looks like the best option for me. So I started surfing the lextreme forums again and found 280zx racer's project and told him he should post his project here :D

So again, thanks for letting people know 280zx racer. People out there really want to see his. The ZX cars are a fast growing market as good S30s get harder to find, and cheep S130 cars easier to find.

For reference. His 2+2 is right hand drive so the brake booster is in a totally different location. The USDM cars will have a much larger hurdle to overcome if you want to get the motor that close. but if you move it too far forward the stock headers "might" hit the power steering. There might be room, but it'll be tight. Like I said, i'm still trying to figure it all out. The sump seems to be another source of headache as even the "rear" sump motors are semi center sump. I might try to find a 1uz that's not running for like $200-300 or something so I have something to measure with.

Wrose case senario you do what 280ZX racer did, custom cross member. (correct me if I'm wrong 280zx racer). You'll have to move the brake booster if it's left hand drive or just set the motor a little farther forward.

Mounts don't seem too difficult since the stock mounts should adapt nicely, just not in the stock ZX location.

One of the big reasons I want to do this swap is I want to do something that hasn't really been done before. 280ZX racer is the only person I've found on the net with a 1uzfe in a 280ZX. And I still only know of one other 1uz in a S30 Z car, but there's more likely to be more of those around that are unknown. If I do go through with this it will all the documented very well. Lots of pictures and journals. But I'll be starting this winter at the earliest and possible not till last next summer, as I kinda want to start on other areas as well, such as brakes, suspension, rims, fender flares, paint, ect. We'll see what order things happen.[/quote']

thanks gollum i had been on hybridz before under the hi tech section but the site has been changed around since then, anyway good to be back and thanks again. chris:) :) :)

From what ive been told the diferent sumps indicate that the engine is either a late or early model and they have diferent hp ratings(let me know if im wrong)

I see in your pictures that at the moment you are using an auto,will you be changing to manual later?There are kits for w series boxes and r154 from toyota supra turbo. col

The SC is the "rear sump" the LS is front sump and the GS is mid sump. Those are just the US names though, I know they wear different names in other parts of the world.

It's either 97' or 98' they changed the motor to a VVI motor with different heads. It's still a IUZFE though, but there isn't as much done with these in the way of motor swaps beucase they're harder to find and more expensive, and most people aren't looking for the potential that they offer.

Yea, there's a company that makes trans adapter plates for all sorts of trannys for the 1UZ, but they're in australia, so shipping for me and other people outside of that country can be a pretty penny. When I do the swap (if I do the swap) i'll go with a auto and change out for a manual later.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm

i,ve gone with the auto with shift kit to see how it goes, later i may go twin turbo and then look at other options but i would stay auto, there is a guy in south australia who is very good with the jap auto,s so i would contact him first. as gollum said different sumps to suit different cars in australia we have the LS and the SC, my engine came in a container with 25 others. Also keep the engine low as there isn,t much between the plenum and bonnet

have you made inquiry into registration.Im not sure what you are allowed without enginering.In QLD we are allowed 4.4 L with an inspection ,but no enginering needed. I believe this was intended for the 4.2 v8 holden engine. Ive seen some 1uz's with eaton 90's and was thinking it may be a good idea but from the looks it would come through the bonet ,may be ok in a rod, but i think the cops would hate it. col

in w.a. we need engineers cert if engine is more than 25% over capacity of original engine . i have spoken to the engineer and he said it was fine but i have to get him to do a thorough inspection and sign off on it before it goes over the pits, we also have to fill out an application to modify the vehicle prior to starting to modify stating all the mods to be done and the licensing dept engineers go through it and give you an approval:) or rejection.:-( chris

How are you using "engineers" ?

-as in a mechanic who works at a shop and deals with cars all day?

-or a PE (professional engineer) who works at a firm in an offics all day and signs off on drawings that his draft monkeys make?

also, that sounds very tough just to modify a car!