HybridZ

Cleaning my driveway.

Well, oil, gas, coolant and whatever else has caked itself onto my driveway, and were gonna get it resealed, but first the oil and such has to come up or it will rise to the surface within a week or two.

So I need suggestions on what I should use to clean the driveway itself. Right now where using this stuff called ZAP. It seems like a generic brand type thing, its doing OK, but not getting up the big stuff we really need. I have heard good things about PURPLE POWER, but haven't used it yet, i may end up picking that up today.

What do you guys use?

Once oil has soaked into the concrete you will never get it back up.

You can try carb cleaner.

Tim

Not a concrete driveway, asphault(forgot to specify). But if you meant to say asphalt would that mean that if its there for life, if I just reseal it-will it cover it up, or will it eventually rise to the surface?

Guest 73TPIZ

I just thought of something.

I wonder what dragstrips use? I imagine they see their fair share of coolant, oil, tranny fluid, etc and they have to get it super clean in order to go racing again. Maybe you could call a couple of local tracks and ask'em if they use some OTC stuff or industrial only chemicals.

Good luck w/ it.

Of course after you get it clean, your gonna have to lay down some fresh rubber to get the driveway hookin' again ;)

• 7 months later...

I ended up using PURPLE POWER, poured it on the driveway and just scrubbed it, it does pretty good, but leaves that part of the driveway looking shiney while the rest looks like crap. It took up most of the spots from my ZX's oil and trans leak. I haven't owned it since last september and I only did this about 3 months ago.

Blacktop Drives

Oil spots on asphalt can only be cleaned with soap and water. Solvents WILL damage and erode the asphalt binder that holds together the sand and gravel components of blacktop.

What’s more, oil drips alone will erode the asphalt over time. It takes a few months or years, but believe me, the dripping oil actually softens the asphalt. The key is to keep blacktop well sealed beneath parking areas. Do not over seal. Only apply asphalt sealer every 3 or 4 years or when you can see the actual stone color of the small aggregate. If you apply blacktop sealer every year, it will eventually begin to peel

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B368_Oil_Spills_on_Pavement.shtml

I don't know how useful that is, but seems easy enough to try. If it was my driveway, I'd be tempted to pressure wash but I don't know if that would work or not.

We used to sell a product at Advance Auto Parts (well, it was back when we were still Discount Auto Parts, but I digress) that was called Swab, it was an orange powder that was awesome at getting oil out of concrete. I know you've got asphalt though, and I don't know how well it would work on that. I don't know where you could get that anymore, and I'm not sure if it had one "a" in the name or two, but It used to fly off the shelf.

what ever you clean it with make sure the ground is hot or else nothing will come up. this i know from waisting many days triing in cold weather. then i called the tech line on back of the bottle and the guy told me that for heavy oil spots the ground needs to be hot. also let it sit for 24 hours with the stuff on the driveway that will give it time to break down the oil. i think the stuff was called drive-up and turns out its basiclly just dawn dishsoap,water,and a little bleach.