HybridZ

my s30 drawings...

OlderThanMe

For many years doing customizing I would trace a photo of whatever I was building, blow it up on a copier and make a bunch of prints. Then I would sit down and use colored pencils and stuff to work out paint schemes and body mods. Damn shame I threw them out when i was done.. I even use to photo engines standing in front of the bay and cut one motor out and lay it on the other photo. Since your usually right at the bumper, you can use the scale of the pic to test engine fit. I used to have a 500 caddy in a Pinto wagon when everyone said it couldnt be done in a stock bay. I did it. Moved center firewall back 9" but I did it !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forced Perspective, Attack! Kind of a concept of what I want to do with my intercooler if I ever get around to slapping all my turbo stuff on to my L before I get around to getting serious about an SBC. It would be ducted from underneath via the front, and the louver plate should help create some low pressure above the hood and do some extraction.

hoodoff.jpg

Really? A riveted on louver panel like that? I've seen people actually louver a 240 non-vented hood all over, but I hadn't seen anyone do a seperate panel...It was a solution I came on when I was trying to figure out how I could get both a Carbon Fiber hood AND the louvered hood I always wanted...cut a big rectangle out and then rivet on some aluminum louver panels. I'd be curious to see how it actually looks on a real car...

Very cool sketch Max!

It looks like this summer I'll be doing the bodywork and raising compression to 10.2:1 before I retire the L26 to go to another project... It looks like I'll be doing the body in the "boodlefoof style"...

I'll have some more sketches soon. :-D

veritech, do you have a source for those "bolt on" louvers? I'm seriously thinking about doing that with my car. Hope you dont mind me stealing your idea. I need to get some fuel injection up and running then I can start worrying about the turbo stuff. but the louvers will help keep underhood temps down, so I'll go ahead and do that.

JC Whitney has them in ABS, anyone have sheet metal ones? Or should I just talk to one of those guys that do it for $1 a piece and get them to make me a strip?

I found a bunch of Louvers on ebay in different deminsions. I wasn't sure if I would do a strip like that, or do a sqaure in front of the power bulge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mack-CH-CL-Stainless-Hood-Louver-Set-NIB-No-Res_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ004QQitemZ140104351211QQrdZ1

http://stores.ebay.com/928-Motorsports_Louvers_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ8QQftidZ2QQsclZ0QQtZkm

Seems like there used to be a better selection, but this was all I could come up with right now. You may come out better having them made if they can do it at $1 a louver, plus you could just make them to your own specs that way instead of trying to make them fit.

I'm curious where you were planning to run the rear pipe for the intercooler? back up to the front or sneak it behind the engine?

I think I like the natural metal look but then I would have to use screws or similar to hold it on so it would be easier when I repaint the car. hmm, so many decisions for one little detail.