HybridZ

Engine swap options

Guest bushy

Quote.The toyota V8 was something i never even thought of, quad cam and 32 valve is nice relaiable and powerful technology, but becomes a little expensive if the engine needs modification. Although i suppose all that new technology would give it some decent ponies to start off with so performance mods probably wouldnt be nesscessary.

I would guess aswell, that the newer motor would be better on fuel, a big plus with the rising prices these days. Has anyone done a LPG or Propane conversion, i heard these days you can get almost as much power, but much better fuel economy.

!!!!

You will probably get 5 years plus out of a reasonable condition Toyota V8 before you need to replace things, then you just buy another engine, the Rover will probably need medication next week. And will leak more oil than the Exon Valdez.Thirstier than Oliver Reed.

There is a V8 Soarer in Perth Australia with a two Gas Research LPG carbs set up ,about 1000 HP on standard engine do a search on google Australia, probably find it. featured a while back in Zoom mag.

PS. seem to remember it had a supercharger as well, could have something to do with the 1000+ HP!!

There is a V8 Soarer in Perth Australia with a two Gas Research LPG carbs set up ,about 1000 HP on standard engine do a search on google Australia, probably find it.

Well, stock bottom end maybe but I'm sure he couldn't do that on the stock pistons. He probly also either had the newer heads or had headwork done to the old heads. The stock pistson are known to only be good to about 500hp, largely due to the higher NA compression that tends to limit boost pressure.

sounds like the 1UZ-FE is an attractive package indeed!! any power specs and weight compared to the L engine? i know that the toyotas are light, but how light? i was thinkin of an SR20det, but finding out how cheap the toyota v8 is..... i think im chaging my mind ;) would a supra 5 speed bolt straight in?

You'll need an adapter. There's atleast one for the Getrag 6spd and a few for the R154 5 spds. There's an engine weight comparison post on here somewere that has the weights. It is lighter though.

sounds like the 1UZ-FE is an attractive package indeed!! any power specs and weight compared to the L engine? i know that the toyotas are light, but how light? i was thinkin of an SR20det, but finding out how cheap the toyota v8 is..... i think im chaging my mind ;) would a supra 5 speed bolt straight in?

The weight probly won't beat the SR20 even with it's turbo + FMIC, but the 1UZ will be weight farther back and down by compairson. Wich is much more worthwhile IMO.

Just remember that the market support for the 1UZ is extremely small, so performance upgrades might end up being quite a bit DIY. There are transmission adapters out there, but only automatics bolt up the the motors expect for one really rare 5 speed SC400 and I don't think it was a US option, thus it's only found in australia (and maybe japan).

• 2 months later...

dellow automotive do heaps of bellhousings for the 1u to different boxes now. the toyota auto is very strog and works well also even with a stall. harry kajima from AVO had a 240 with a turbo 265 hemi that i saw at targa tas it was a weapon. even atmo the hemis make good power and all the ancilleries are on the left like an L series. makes life simple.

i live in perth , and one of my mates runs a 260z with l28 at barbagello rcaeway. He and his dad have spent about 8 or 9k on the car so far (engine and body), so the l28 option doesnt really sound like a financially viable option to me hey.

just for interests sake i though that it should be said that the rover v8 isnt that bad as it did power more than half of the 1990s TVRs, with displacements ranging from 3.5 to 4.3 in the cerberas and chimaeras.

but id still go with the 1uz. is it really just that easy to hooki it up to a supra 5 or 6 speeder?

• 4 months later...
I would guess aswell, that the newer motor would be better on fuel, a big plus with the rising prices these days. Has anyone done a LPG or Propane conversion, i heard these days you can get almost as much power, but much better fuel economy.

Propane can make much more power than Gas since it has an octane rating of 110 or so, and since it's presurized, you don't need a fuel pump. And if you take your car off-roading, or find it upsidedown...then it will STILL be running.

Woohoo, first post