HybridZ

LT1 and Subaru Rack

Ok, I've been procrastinating on this but I finally put together a document with some pictures of my Subaru power rack install.

I used a rack from a 1999 Forrester with the stock GM pump that came with my 1995 Caprice 9C1 LT1.

Here is a link to the PDF file with all the pictures.

http://www.vikingds.com/zcarguy/Power Steering install.pdf

If anyone has questions please ask them in this thread so we can continue to build the knowledge base for this swap.

Wheelman

The link in my post is to a PDF file.

Do you have acrobat reader installed?

If not, install it and then you'll be able to view the document.

If this won't work for people I'll convert it to a web page and relink it to this thread.

Wheelman

It worked for me. Great write up Wheelman!

Glad to hear it worked and thanks for the compliment.

One obversation though was the offset u-joint polarity in the steering shaft. I know its not a drive shaft, but doesn't the same rule apply?

You know, this factor never even occurred to me when I assembled the shaft but I agree it should be considered. I think because the angles are so shallow in my setup there was very little chance of binding things up, In other words I got lucky. :)

Wheelman

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
Anyone know if this set-up will work with the stock L28 in the S30? Do you think the larger rack will clear the oil pan???

Yes, so far it does, well, the rack out of the ’92 Suby Loyale that we are using fits and physically is very similar to the Forrester rack. We are installing this rack in a bone stock ’78 S-30, rack is currently mounted in the cross member hanging under the engine.

I’m rereading this thread looking for simple options to connect the rock the Datsun steering knuckles. After reading Kens findings, I need to remove an inner ball joint and verify thread size first.

• Administrators
Hey Paul,

I just remembered I told you I'd send the old Subaru Forrester outer tie rod ends to you. Do you still want them for mock up purposes? If not I'll toss them.

Wheelman

Ken,

Thank you. Yes I'll take them. I’ll PM with a shipping address, also let me know how much including shipping and I’ll PayPal that to you right away.

Just removed an inner ball joint, threads for the ’92 Loyale rack are 14x1.5 mm.

Ok, I've been procrastinating on this but I finally put together a document with some pictures of my Subaru power rack install.

I used a rack from a 1999 Forrester with the stock GM pump that came with my 1995 Caprice 9C1 LT1.

Here is a link to the PDF file with all the pictures.

http://www.vikingds.com/zcarguy/Power Steering install.pdf

If anyone has questions please ask them in this thread so we can continue to build the knowledge base for this swap.

Wheelman

This is a VERY GOOD thread and I have already obtain the Subaru PS rack. Have been following your instructions. The one remaining item is the hydraulic fittings. I believe these are metric and where and how did you find the adapters to go from metric to the GM PS pump? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The fittings are metric but so are the GM pump fittings, at least the pump that came with my LT1 had metric fittings.

I bought the fittings I used from Speedway Motors, here is a link to the catalog page for the fittings:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/965,471_1980-Up-Power-Steering-Adaptors.html

The Forrester rack accepts the 14x1.5 for the high pressure line and the 16x1.5 for the return line and the GM pump's high pressure output is 16x1.5.

I bought all 3 but found I couldn't use one of the 16x1.5 because the return hose was then aimed right at the bottom of the cross member. I solved this by cutting a short section (~9 inches ) from the original return hard line and wrapping it around under the rack so it came around to the front near the high pressure feed line. If you look at my PDF you'll see how I did it. There's very little pressure in this line so you can just clamp the return hose to it.

I also bought one of Speedway's hose kits. It includes enough hose to do the feed, return and reservoir connections. If you get one of these kits and are using the LT1 pump be sure to get the AN10 version. The inlet at the pump is AN10 size so the AN8 kit won't work. It's a bit spendy and you end up with a couple extra fittings but then I didn't have to find the parts individually and I'll probably end up using the extras for something else. :)

BTW: Speedway also sells fittings that should work with an older style pump, here is the link to that page.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3243,471_1965-1979-GM-Power-Steering-Adaptors.html

Be sure to check before buying these as I haven't worked with an older style pump to verify whether these will work.

Wheelman

The fittings are metric but so are the GM pump fittings, at least the pump that came with my LT1 had metric fittings.

I bought the fittings I used from Speedway Motors, here is a link to the catalog page for the fittings:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/965,471_1980-Up-Power-Steering-Adaptors.html

The Forrester rack accepts the 14x1.5 for the high pressure line and the 16x1.5 for the return line and the GM pump's high pressure output is 16x1.5.

I bought all 3 but found I couldn't use one of the 16x1.5 because the return hose was then aimed right at the bottom of the cross member. I solved this by cutting a short section (~9 inches ) from the original return hard line and wrapping it around under the rack so it came around to the front near the high pressure feed line. If you look at my PDF you'll see how I did it. There's very little pressure in this line so you can just clamp the return hose to it.

I also bought one of Speedway's hose kits. It includes enough hose to do the feed, return and reservoir connections. If you get one of these kits and are using the LT1 pump be sure to get the AN10 version. The inlet at the pump is AN10 size so the AN8 kit won't work. It's a bit spendy and you end up with a couple extra fittings but then I didn't have to find the parts individually and I'll probably end up using the extras for something else. :)

BTW: Speedway also sells fittings that should work with an older style pump, here is the link to that page.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3243,471_1965-1979-GM-Power-Steering-Adaptors.html

Be sure to check before buying these as I haven't worked with an older style pump to verify whether these will work.

Wheelman

Thanks very much to Wheelman for the advice on the hydraulic fittings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Subaru Power steering rack in a stock L-28 powered S-30…

Update;

First, I’d like to thank Wheelman for all his help and efforts in making this a reality and also thank you to RonTyler for the ZX pump components. ~ZchicaDee~ also thanks you both…

Car; ’78 Black Pearl edition 280-Z coupe, factory A/C, 5 speed. Car is stock throughout with poly T’C rod bushings and poly steering coupler otherwise the car is totally bone stock.

Owner, HybridZ member ~ZchicaDee~, close family friend, essentially family, unofficial adopted daughter :wink: This is her first Z! :2thumbs:

The rack is out of a ’92 Suby Loyale, 3.75 turns lock to lock, (ratio is bit slow for some, but perfect for this particular application). P/S pump and pump bracket, belt tensioner, crank damper, and clutch fan are out of an ’83 280-ZX. The hoses and fluid lines are the Suby Loyale hoses. Low pressure hose fit the Datsun pump reservoir perfectly, (10mm). For the high pressure fitment to the pump I had “Oil Filter Service” in Portland weld the Datsun H/P fitting for the ZX pump onto the Suby hard line. Looks OE.

http://www.oilfilterserviceco.com/

Cross member was notched to clear the PS lines and steering input. We then fabbed up patches that were welded in the notches to regain any strength that may have been lost in the notching process.

brand new Toyota Celica inner tie rods, brand new Suby Forrester outer tie rod ends. Utilized the Suby steering shaft U-joint, welded it to the Datsun steering shaft. (Suby U-joint component was hollow so I machined a steel bushing that fits inside the suby part and slips over the Datsun shaft which was then all welded together, thoroughly!)

All that is left to do is to tighten up the front LCA hardware, reinstall the charcoal canister in a new location and test drive.

Here are a couple pics from tonight. I have one of the pump and belt assy, but struggling with this %$*&’en family iMac and getting it to SAVE the picture in portrait position vs landscape!!!

Rack.jpg

HighPress.jpg

Subaru Power steering rack in a stock L-28 powered S-30…

Here are a couple pics from tonight. I have one of the pump and belt assy, but struggling with this %$*&’en family iMac and getting it to SAVE the picture in portrait position vs landscape!!!

Paul...Friends don't let friends use Mac's :-)

• Administrators

Paul...Friends don't let friends use Mac's :-)

Dave,

Good to hear from you. You and your family coming to the camp-in?

I'm not overly fond of this particular MAC or OSx. A "float test" is in its near future!

• Administrators
Hey Braap, what's that dog chain for? :)

Wheelman

Ken,

Chain the engine down so it doesn't flip over on launch, of course... :lmao:

Actually, being as we did this PS conversion with the engine in the car, I built a wooden engine holder out of a 4x4 that spanned and sat on top of the strut towers to support the weight of the engine while we swapped out the cross member.