HybridZ

what engine?

i'm new to this (both this site and the"z") i just got a 77 280z 2+2 for $400 it runs ok but the rings on cyclider 1 & 2 or going so heres my question should i rebuild this engine or swapp to the vg30de-tt from the 300zx and slightly build it up(im can get the engine/trans everthing for $2000). I'M LOOKING FOR ABOUT 400WHP is that possible with the l28e? also im looking to spend 3g at the most

any thing might help

i'd reconsider using the v6. it's a great motor, but there are easier swaps out there with similar power potentials.

a turbo L28 is a direct swap, but you'll have to do a lot of work to get it to 400whp. you should be able to pull off this swap with $3k, but i don't know if you could hit 400whp for that much.

there's no way you can hit 400whp on a NA L28...and be streetable.

i'm currently looking at 7mgte's and 2jzgtes. you won't be able to touch a 2j for $3k, but the 7 has potential. it makes okay power stock and can make a lot more with mods...just look at the head gasket first.

i have a z32 and it's a serious pain to work on....great motor though. i don't know how tight the engine bay would be in a 280, but it can't be too good...

chuck

well, $1500 for the entire car changes things a bit. you'll have a lot more of what you need...fuel pump, all ducting, uncut harness, computer etc, all of the stuff that adds up. i'd rather try swapping in that motor than messing with turboing an L28. you'll probably spend more than $1500 on that motor trying to get it right.

do a search for the VG swap, it's been done before i think.