HybridZ

VR6 Hybrid?

Gollum

Ok, there's lots of FWD cars out there with VR6 motors.. but anyone consider them for a Z car. I really like thier idea, it's practically a inline 6 motor and VW was just smart enough to figure out how to make it more compact. The idea is SO solid that they used it for thier bugatti brainchild the veyron with a W16 (dual inline 8's based of the same VR6 concept).

It should fit nicely, and sit WAY far back, making a midship almost possible without major modification. It has tons of power potential and there's lots of aftermarket support for it.

I mainly post this becuase I know there's lots of people here that have been around VR6 motors and you guys will know how good of an idea this is right off the bat.

Note: Yes i've searched and i'm still searching to see if this has come up in the past, but all the the search results I've come up with so far are for FWD application.

Here is a cool option if your crazy:

VR6 backed by a G-Force transmission(The adapter plate was made by Rossmachineracing.com):)

0P1011692.JPG

The thing about VR6's is that they aren't that light, and are expensive to get good power out of them. Here is a nice combo that was put together recently with 12v vr6. The 24v is much more potent :)

GT42R VR6 12v stock head stock cams:

600.jpg

VR1.jpg

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2568275

So what is not that light? Its certainly compact. My wife has one in her people mover, I really like the way it sounds. I think vw has just made a new vr6 as well thats about 3.6 lts and has a narrower block angle. Lots of turbo and supercharger kits for these engines. I wouldnt mind having a play with one myself one day.

Douglas

But it's still a much smaller weight package though. I wouldn't be suprised if the new 24v VR6 is heavier than the L28, but it has more displacement and could sit quite a bit farther back.

The B series peaks my interests........ I can get B series motors for really cheep and I know several people that drag them on a serious basis so I've got the connection to make a powerful one... Hmm, something for me to keep in mind I guess.

I would do a S2k engine and transmission if I where doing a honda swap. That f20 is the best honda 4 cylinder out right now. My friend just made 590whp on a stock longblock with a crappy OBX A/W intercooler and s60 turbo. He's now upgrade the intercooler to air/air 18"X12"X4.5" core and putting a GT40R on it:)

s2k8.jpg

590whp.jpg

Only downside to the f20 is that it's the most expensive 4 cylinder honda motor to build. Simply becuase of it's popularity and it's age among honda motors. But it is an awsome motor, I just wish I could find one that isn't insanely market up.