HybridZ

Struck by lightening

bjhines

lightening holes that is....

Some progress on the rear end....

lightenedcargoarea.jpg

lightenedfuelcellframe.jpg

this area will be gusseted to the cage... but it will get lightened as well...

doorjambbefore.jpg

the next step is to tackle the front end... there are more than a few things that can be peeled away or punched... like the 1973 frame rail bumper mount reinforcement... this 1973 still has the early style bumper mounts as well...

I have a 20 pound box of blanks and brackets I have already removed... not including the spare tire well or any of the damping materials or undercoating..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good quality hole saw and a German drill.....

the thin metal was punched with a set of Greenlee panel punches.... the flanged holes were accomplished with a Mittler Bros. flaring die....

obviously I cannot get into a lot of areas with the flaring die... the flaring die also needs a lot of space around the hole.. so the 1" flared holes must be spaced 2" minimum on center.... the actual flared die is closer to 2.5" diameter... though the outside areas can overlap the die somewhat...

I read some info about lightening holes and panel punching... I was not very satisfied with what I found.... I just take cues from aircraft information and pictures.... If anyone else has any more info I would love to see it...

There are at leat a dozen nuts welded to the chassis panels that were not used in the finnished car.... I think they were there for the fixtures and jigs during assembly.... I am removing ALL OF THEM.... as well as punching and flanging areas that I can get into...

Another challenge is the fact that most of the panels that I would like to punch full of holes will open up the interior of the car to exhaust and engine fumes.... soo there are really very damn few places I can go to town with lightening holes....

Good quality hole saw and a German drill.....

the thin metal was punched with a set of Greenlee panel punches.... the flanged holes were accomplished with a Mittler Bros. flaring die....

obviously I cannot get into a lot of areas with the flaring die... the flaring die also needs a lot of space around the hole.. so the 1" flared holes must be spaced 2" minimum on center.... the actual flared die is closer to 2.5" diameter... though the outside areas can overlap the die somewhat...

I read some info about lightening holes and panel punching... I was not very satisfied with what I found.... I just take cues from aircraft information and pictures.... If anyone else has any more info I would love to see it...

There are at leat a dozen nuts welded to the chassis panels that were not used in the finnished car.... I think they were there for the fixtures and jigs during assembly.... I am removing ALL OF THEM.... as well as punching and flanging areas that I can get into...

Another challenge is the fact that most of the panels that I would like to punch full of holes will open up the interior of the car to exhaust and engine fumes.... soo there are really very damn few places I can go to town with lightening holes....

Well, I hope you're going to leave at least one nut.

So you've lost 20lbs by punching holes in all those panels? So if 100lbs of weight savings equals about 10HP, you've gained 2 HP by doing this? Seems like a lot of work for not much of a reward?

Does it strengthen the chassi that much? I'm just confused by why someone would go to this much trouble to save a few pounds when making a few more HP is much easier?

Guy

(Dont take this post in a bad way, I'm just curious :-) )

So you've lost 20lbs by punching holes in all those panels? So if 100lbs of weight savings equals about 10HP' date=' you've gained 2 HP by doing this? Seems like a lot of work for not much of a reward?

Does it strengthen the chassi that much? I'm just confused by why someone would go to this much trouble to save a few pounds when making a few more HP is much easier?

Guy

(Dont take this post in a bad way, I'm just curious :-) )[/quote']

Interesting point...

So you've lost 20lbs by punching holes in all those panels? So if 100lbs of weight savings equals about 10HP' date=' you've gained 2 HP by doing this? Seems like a lot of work for not much of a reward?

Guy

True, but lightening the chassis reduces the momentum of the vehicle at speed, making changes in speed (acceleration) easier. Braking handling and acceleration are improved by 2hp :)

I agree 20lbs isn't that much of a difference in any way breaking, acceleration, and turning. But if you remove 20lbs from that then remove the interior panels 10lbs. Sound deadening 15lbs, and etc... It can easily add up to 100lbs or more which is a big difference in not only acceleration, but also but in how the car drives. I would rather drive a 500hp 2000lbs car than a 1000hp 4000lb car. Sure theoritically(sp) they would accelerate the same but what one would be more fun to drive? The lighter one. I know I know not comparing apples to apples but you get why I love to make my z's lightweight. Then I add the extra power anyway and its all gravy.

I agree 20lbs isn't that much of a difference in any way breaking, acceleration, and turning. But if you remove 20lbs from that then remove the interior panels 10lbs. Sound deadening 15lbs, and etc... It can easily add up to 100lbs or more which is a big difference in not only acceleration, but also but in how the car drives.

Yeah but I'm not talking about all those other things, I'm just wondering about all those holes. I understand the concept of loosing weight but these seems a bit extreme, thats all.

Guy

I don't see how removing metal from the existing sheer panel makes it any stronger. It's certainly stronger than if no panel existed at all, but compared to stock, removing metal only weakens the structure. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

if you remove the door panel from your door you will notice the holes that let you see the window regulator mechanism. if Nissan had not put flares on the holes the panel would be very weak and useless. Since they put flares on the metal it became very strong. when you make a hole and put a flare on it then it gains lots of strength. If you don't flare it then the metal will be much worse off.

I weighed my current track prepped 1972 240Z with stock drivetrain... that sucker has a lot of things stripped off of it.... and it weighs 2499 pounds with me in it and 8 gallons of fuel....

A fella in my club is running a very highly prepared 280Z chassis... with fuel injection.... he has gone through the entire chassis and removed every little bracket, nut, bolt, CF hood, etc... his car only weighed 2200 pounds with him in it and 4 gallons of fuel.... we both weigh about 170 pounds....

I am taking this car even further... I have a HUGE PILE of parts that I will weigh when I am done.... ANYONE who knows what they are doing in this respect will agree completely with my approach... lightness makes speed... EVERY ounce COUNTS.... race car builders get a hard on when they can remove another handful of metal... It is all part of the COMPLETE project...

I have ABSOLUTLELY NO concerns about chassis flex.... the damn car is getting a full cage... I have another thread about the "tt cage" and chassis reinforcement.... the lightening goes hand in hand with the fact I am adding a whole lot of weight with the cage and reinforcement.

I'm just confused by why someone would go to this much trouble to save a few pounds when making a few more HP is much easier?

And you would lose to the guy that took the trouble to do both. Preparation, preparation, preparation...

I weighed my current track prepped 1972 240Z with stock drivetrain... that sucker has a lot of things stripped off of it.... and it weighs 2499 pounds with me in it and 8 gallons of fuel....

A fella in my club is running a very highly prepared 280Z chassis... with fuel injection.... he has gone through the entire chassis and removed every little bracket' date=' nut, bolt, CF hood, etc... his car only weighed 2200 pounds with him in it and 4 gallons of fuel.... we both weigh about 170 pounds....

I am taking this car even further... I have a HUGE PILE of parts that I will weigh when I am done.... ANYONE who knows what they are doing in this respect will agree completely with my approach... lightness makes speed... EVERY ounce COUNTS.... race car builders get a hard on when they can remove another handful of metal... It is all part of the COMPLETE project...

I have ABSOLUTLELY NO concerns about chassis flex.... the damn car is getting a full cage... I have another thread about the "tt cage" and chassis reinforcement.... the lightening goes hand in hand with the fact I am adding a whole lot of weight with the cage and reinforcement.[/quote']

I'm curious why you didn't just cut all that structure out. That's what I did with my 240. I wasn't worried about losing any stiffness as I also had a cage. It seemed like far less work. Although I have to admit I like the holes. I would add a couple on the tunnel over the diff bolts. You can plug them and it make taking out the bolts easier if you have a solid mount.

For what it's worth my car was 2050 with 5 gallons of gas and a 180 pound driver. I normally had about 50 pounds of ballast in the car.

Cary