HybridZ

another 7m swap

materchan

mine looked exactly liked tony's except i had an n1 at the end cocked up.. and the only part that scraped was the bend we had to put in to cock the n1 up and out... but it wasnt tooo crappy. I routed my w/g dump, i must be one of the wierd people who doesnt like the open w/g noise.. but anyway.. i would imagine it could be run under the tray pretty easy... are you cutting the tray out or leaving it? as long as the car isnt lowered a ton on bigger wheels i dont see a problem.. just measure! i think there is a pic of mine in my album.. maybe..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin, Whats the diameter of the lifters on the 7m. Toyota seems to have been using a standard size for a number of years now. I think it was 28ml but look it up to be sure. Anyway, this means that solid lifters can be used from other toyota's and some Yamaha bike engines that use the same lifter bore. The more moderm ones have no shims at all and you use lifters that are varied in thickness. I think most of these came in the yaris which you dont get in the states but also look at the set up from the lasted model celica. Could be a cheep fix.

Douglas

Anyone have a dyno chart of one of these above 7000rpm?

Justin

good luck. most people dont build them like that. i would try looking for some australian built cars or uk built cars. they seem to get ahold of the group a stuff which is cool. there was a thread about this on sf not too long ago.. ill see if i can dig up the info. and im really lazy but if you search for a guy named Seb who built a funky one in AUS.. i think his was 9ish. the 7m is kinda like the muscle car motor for a 3rd gen. they came with 2 major factory options.. the 1jz and the 7m.. im not counting the na motors or the 1g just cause. the 1jz was a hella revving engine.. japanese guys build those things to do 12k rpm no problem. the 7m has the displacement.. torquier. i have had 1jz and 7m cars.. the 1jz revved like a sport bike. i would do a 1jz if i was building an all out track car.. but i chose a 7m because all that low end tq is a ton of fun on the road. but people dont typically build them to rev out. Duane Stephens.. owner of CFX just built a pretty sick motor.. when he dyno's ill post it up or pm it to you.. it should rev pretty high.

• 2 weeks later...
didnt come in.. was originally designed for.

Through some research I found that the M series was introduced in 1965. They were all inline 6's. Don't think it was really possible to fit an inline 6 in a 60's toyota truck. Stouts (truck) were small and came with the R series that ended in the 90's also.

it is.. and lookin back my memory must be going. no m was intended for a truck.. or atleast if it was i cant find the info now. so im going with ooops. must be all the jokes people make about it all the time. lol.

but keep in mind there have been so many revisions.. the similiarities from model to model are there... but a 7m compared to the 2000gt motor.. is COMPLETELY different

• 3 weeks later...

i've never really understood the whole.. "the motor was designed for a truck not a sports car" thing when refering to the ka24 or the 7m..

if i recall correctly the ford 5.0/302 came in trucks.. the chevy 350 came in trucks.. the chevy LSx variants went into trucks. the mazda rotary went into trucks.. and last time i checked all these motors went into sports cars as well.. Does this mean that the mustang, corvette, and rx7 are not sports cars..??

i've never really understood the whole.. "the motor was designed for a truck not a sports car" thing when refering to the ka24 or the 7m..

if i recall correctly the ford 5.0/302 came in trucks.. the chevy 350 came in trucks.. the chevy LSx variants went into trucks. the mazda rotary went into trucks.. and last time i checked all these motors went into sports cars as well.. Does this mean that the mustang, corvette, and rx7 are not sports cars..??

Awesome reply!

Two thumbs for you!

7mapart.jpg

Materchan, looks like you're ahead of me right now. I'm getting a good head gasket on soon, with the head studs soon. I'm thinking of dropping the engine off at the engine shop and getting some nice internals, and a little head work. Really nice weather right now for working on cars.

The stock JDM gasket was a little beaten up after 20psi of boost. I had even retorqued the head bolts before then. Also, I think one of my rings is leaking a little since the compression was low on 5, and it's a little oily there. Just bad tuning really. I should have taken it to a dyno before boosting it much. I'll be more patient this time, specially since I'll probably have real money invested in the bottom end now.

Hopefully I'll have it together before April next year to be at the MSA show.

at the rate i'm going we will finish at about the same time. there's a whole bunch of wiring to do, it seems a lot more then when i wired up MS to my l28 turbo. one question, the fuel damper(i think it's called) thats on the fuel rail, where does the fuel line coming off it go?