HybridZ

1 hr MS installation? It's possible...

nienberg.11

I made too many dumb mistakes since I'm a first timer, but it could be done with the adaptor I made up.

It adapts from the 280z ecu harness, through an old ecu connector, and into the Megasquirt harness. You just plug it in, run the tach signal and MAP signal, and it's good to crank up. One of the main benefits of this setup is that there is zero downtime for the car. At any time I could plug the old ecu in and go, which I had to do to go into town and hunt for a tps.

I ran the IAT through unused wires on the original harness to keep the amount of new wiring to a minimum. Here's what it looks like.

adaptor.jpg

I did it the other way... I took an old harness I had laying around and hacked off the ECU connector and soldered the wires to the DB37, with all the appropiate wires going into the relays and what not. I also used the old AFM wires for a 280zxt dist so I could control spark. there are enough wires left over so that I can go wasted spark with 3 coil packs when I get the wheel decoder figured out.

very cool.... so you used the original 1977 280Z fuel injection harness? Did you use a tps from another model / year car? So the only other things connected are the vacumn hose for the map sensor and a wire for tach signal? Did you get the connector off an old ECU?

nice work!

Mack, I like the sound of yours but I'm having trouble visualizing how it's connected in. Perhaps you could post a pic and add some more content to the thread for others wanting to do this sort of thing.

Mom's Z, I used a '95 240sx auto tps with slight mods for fitting and connected it to the old tps wiring. The ECU connector was from a spare non-working 2+2 ECU. One swipe with an angle grinder and it came free from the board. And yes, tach and MAP were the parts that had to be run separately.

Here's the tps. I was unable to locate a complete 240sx TB assembly in my area so it's mounted on the 280z TB. A hole had to be cut in the back because of the length of the 280z throttle rod thing and a couple of tabs were added to extend it to the bolt holes.

tps.jpg

but why not a new harness?

Well.... I can think of one good reason I would want to use the original harness, it's required by the rules in the class I want to run. But I remember another thread where the poster wanted to just be able to plug a mega squirt in place of the stock ECU.

What class are you in where the age and quality of wire you use will bump you up a class, but independentfully programmable efiengine management won't?

sounds great for the second reason though, it's going to be a pain in the *** if i have to sell my car at some point... lol "by the way, i'm the only one on the planet who knows how this exact car runs"

I don't race but I've heard that about having to use the original harness in certain classes. Seems kind of backward but whatev.

Prox, I did it this way to eliminate downtime and allow as much time as I needed to work out mistakes in my wiring. Plus it was pretty nice being able to do all of the wiring in the comfort of my basement and just plug it in when it was all ready. I really thought it would take me a long time to get the car running on MS since I've never done this before, but I guess I got lucky. It only took about 4 hours to get it to crank up.

No one's disputing the benefits of a new harness but this made the transition to MS ridiculously easy.

BTW, did your old motor kick the bucket? I noticed you got an l28et now.

Well.... I can think of one good reason I would want to use the original harness, it's required by the rules in the class I want to run. But I remember another thread where the poster wanted to just be able to plug a mega squirt in place of the stock ECU.

I know in SCCA some classes rquire the stock ecu box. You can put whatever you want in it but the box must be factory. Haven't heard anything about factory wiring. That was one thing I was not willing to use when going MS and my harness was from an 89'.

What class are you in where the age and quality of wire you use will bump you up a class, but independentfully programmable efiengine management won't?

the car is being prepared for SCCA improved touring. The standard wiring harness may be repaired using standard industry practices but may not be modified. It isn't a huge issue for most competitors as most the cars are newer. The rule is made to limit performance. The ECU on the other hand may be replaced as long as the new one fits inside the original case. The reason for this is because people were reflashing the stock ECU and there was no way to easily check for modifications. The general consensus was that if it couldn't be policed, then let them all have it. It's kind of crazy but welcome to the world of SCCA IT. Sometimes the rules don't make a boatload of sense.

yeh I swapped to a F54/P90a ... the old motor was smoking really bad.. rather than rebuilding it or finding what the problem was I got a deal on a complete turbo motor..

plus with the Holset .. 18psi on the n/a motor scares me.. lol soo I figured lower compression would be great

EXCELLENT IDEA!

Please post a pin-out for the appropriate harness you connected to in your application. I figured this could be easily done after seeing 1 fast Z hack the stock harness for his application.

One thing everybody is forgetting: California has a Visual Inspection Component to their emissions test. One of the primary reasons the cars our age fail (76 through 83) is a bad AFM track or sensor error.

With this adaptor, and some simple tuning, you will have a setup that the smog police will NEVER suspect, a car that responds better, and in the case of equipping the 75-80 cars with an EGO, a car with a mixture that meets the catalytic converters needs more often than not!

Imagine that, a modification that INCREASES PERFORMANCE, and actually in some cases makes the car A GREENER VEHICLE!

Best of both worlds.

I was up for a hack into the stock ECU Box just for S & G's but this little adapter would make it a piece of cake for people who had minimum downtime, or wanted to TRY SOMETHING before buying.

"Here, plug this in and take a ride"---sure you got some sensors and a TPS to play with beforehand, but I think they all will work out fine.

And that Cold Start Injector is now easily activated with a jumper from one of the available I/O's to trigger at WOT for NO2 enrichment.....