HybridZ

Differences in SU rebuild kits?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

I have a 73 240z with the carbs a little screwed up so I was thinking about rebuilding them. The kit from VB is 20 dollars/carb however MSA is charging 110 bucks for a rebuild kit for a 73. Anyone know what the difference in the two kits are to justify 70 dollars?

Which carbs do you have? If you have the original stock 73 (flat top) carbs, the rebuild kit will be very different. I'm guessing that is what the MSA kit is. The $20 VB kit probably is for the 70 - 72 (round top) carbs and contains some washers, a float bowl gasket and maybe a float bowl valve.

Check out http://www.ztherapy.com. I would buy SU stuff from them before either of the other two just because they specialize in these carbs and can help you out better.

Guest TegRacer324

Alright I definately have round tops then. There's still more than one rebuild kit out there though. How should I know which one to buy?

Sorry I don't know much on these. I'm actually planning on doing a V8 conversion, but in the mean time I figured I'd get the engine running that's in there. Seems to fire up alright with ether and fuel is getting all the way to the carbs, it just seems that it won't run off it's own fuel leading me to believe it's something to do with the carbs.

Damn the Z therapy rebuilds aren't exactly cheap.

Hey racer, I don't understand your last post. Are you using "starter fluid" to start the car, and once its started then it dies? or ... can you start it and it runs then it dies. Either way it could be your fule filter. There are also internal filters on the SU's that get pluged up its a good idea to pull them out. If you are having problems with enough fuel reaching the carbs you could have a bad fuel pump or the gas tank can get a bunch of rust in it and that plugs up the fuel lines and filters and stuff. SU's are pretty simple carbs the $20 kit will probably be fine, but make sure the fuel line they include is actually fuel line. The kit I got came with silicon "fuel line" bad idea. if you have any questions let us know.

:burnout:

Matt-

Guest TegRacer324

It will start on starting fluid, but just dies. The fuel is definately getting to the carbs I'm just not sure where it's going after that. I'm going to have to pull the tops off this weekend and see if I can see anything is in there that's plugging it up. Where are the filters in the bowl or the actual body?

"not true."

Ok' date=' I'll bite.[/quote']

leaking shafts can actually be a good thing. especially in my case.

3.1 liter. i can't get the motor lean enough without the shafts leaking just a touch. why? the motor pulls so much air it sucks more fuel then it really needs on su's hence the leaking shafts being a good thing to let some more air in to lean it out a bit.

Hey Racer, just to be clear, I said "filter" and x64v said, "strainer" ... Its the same thing, and He's right, its on the banjo fitting. Thats the metal part that the fuel hose clamps on to. How do you know that fuel is getting to carbs? If you Pull the fuel line off at the float bowl (i.e. the banjo fitting) turn over the engine and if fuel pumping ... then you have gas. but you still need to make sure that the fuel is getting "into the carb" Make sure the float bowl is filling up and you don't have a stuck float needle. Also, check the fuel line from the float bowl to the "nozzel" I've had that plug up and then, no fuel to the carbs. Also take off the air filter and make sure that the "pistons" move up and down freely. to test it just push up on the "Piston" with your finger and let it fall down, It should make a "Clunk" sound once it hits bottom. If the piston moves freely then fuel should flow when the engine is on. Check this stuff before you do the "rebuild" then you will know what "needs" to be rebuilt and what is working just fine. Let us know if you have any more questions :brunout:

Guest TegRacer324

It turns out it was a stuck valve on one of the bowls. Took it apart and it suddenly started working with a little carb cleaner and blowing into it. Then some idiot hooked the vent lines for the bowls up to the vacuum line for the distributor advance. I have no idea why. I don't know why I didn't catch it before. I was about to just start hitting the engine with a hammer until in desperation I pulled them off and it fired up. Thing runs like a damn champ. I'm really suprised for it sitting so long.

It's really just too bad I'm gonna rip it outta there if I go through on this car.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Supprised your L28 runs like a champ, after sitting for all that time? Welcome to the world of the AWESOME L28 engine. First it will drive you crazy cause it won't work right, then once you fix it ... you fall in love all over again. If your Z is running like a champ I wouldn't worry about the carb rebuild. Have fun and welcome to the Z world. :burnout:

hey, the rebuild kits are good and everything but the ztherepy ones are really nice, if you want basically new su carbs you can send in your carbs that you have now, and you will get them polished and a complete rebuild also. its always an option and if you are skeptical you can buy their movie that they have cause if you are rebuilding then it REALLY helps you out cause it goes step by step through the rebuild process and even goes into the throttle connection.

I was having a fit with my triple Dellortos so I pulled them and ordered the Ztherapy carbs with euro balance tube. The Dells are going to Italy for a proper overhaul (throttle plates adjusted, etc.) and setup so I can drop them back in and go if I choose to. I love the look and sound of triples but for the typical street car those SU's are hard to beat. I have every reason to believe the Ztherapy carbs will be excellent performers based on nothing but positive posts from other users.

"the motor pulls so much air it sucks more fuel then it really needs on su's hence the leaking shafts being a good thing to let some more air in to lean it out a bit"

Riiiight.

::shakes head::

nevermind, this is like pissing into the wind

build a 3.1 use stock su's then we'll talk.

from the racers that have run them for years, still run them, rebello, hurst, and other z tuners across the nation have more hands on experience and have helped me then some yahoo with a website