HybridZ

Car wont stay on

hey, I've got a '72 240Z, it doesnt drive yet, brake problems... but it was running fine till today. It starts and runs, but ONLY while the starter is going... the second you let the key go into the regular ON postition it dies

any help would be greatly appriciated, I want to get this car rolling

Sounds like the "run" position on your ignition switch is not making contact.

the ignition is partially dismantled, it has been working fine that way since i got it....

I realised after i made this thread that it had rained the other day and it's probably a short somewhere in the ignition system after the starter

[edit] First thing, check for voltage at the coil, positive on coil positive and negative on the engine. You should have a few volts at the very least, maybe 6 when the ignition is on the on position. Now have an assistant crank the car. You should have around 10 or so. If you have zero when the ignition is on the on position and 10+/- when the car is cranking, then try checking for voltage on either side of the resistor. If you don't find voltage there, time to start digging under the dash, and also check the fuses. If you get voltage on the resistor, try bypassing it by jumping a wire across it and try again.

If the car starts, replace the resistor.

If the car doesn't start, hotwire the ignition[coil and such] to be on. Then try to start the car like that. With your symptoms it should start. Now would be a good time to put an anti-theft switch in, on the ignition system.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm bumping an ooooold thread, but i fixed the problem a while back, turned out it was just a shorted coil. It was getting enough power while the starter was cranking (draws more amps) but as soon as the starter kicked off, there wasnt enough amperage to overpower the short.

Simple fix, replaced the coil

You don't know how much I appreciate you posting this. I can't count the number of threads that a poster never let's us know if a fix posted works or they did something else...:2thumbs:

LARRY

Well it drove me nuts for almost a month, and I had replaced a number of other things, such as the starter switch in the back of the ignition, but nothing worked...

I ran into another fellow who had a 240 and he told me he had the same problem, and that all it was, was a shorted coil.

So I wanted to make sure if anyone else had this problem it wouldnt take them a month to figure it out like it took me