HybridZ

510 tranny

Silent

a friend of mine has a good transmission sitting right now. it's off a 510, still attached to the all mighty 4 banger.

im guessing the input shaft is different, and maybe the shaft spline on the output on the rear.

it is a 5 spd. soooooo my guessing is it may work in a z car. it has two ears on the tail shaft area which my z tranny only has one.

dunno

just looking for clarification before i go off and take it off his hands

it is a 5 spd. soooooo my guessing is it may work in a z car...

The input and output shafts should not make a difference (they should work on the Z with no problems). The 510 never came with a 5 speed. If it is a standard shift pattern, it is most likely a Z transmission. If it has a 'dogleg' 1st gear, then it is from a 200SX (L20B motor) and will still work in the Z. Take the tranny from him.

Davy

I thought the 510, 200SX, and truck trans was a couple inches shorter than a Z trans. Just checked it out... http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/transmissions.html

So if you got a shorter trans you'd need to have the driveshaft lengthened. A lot of 510 guys run Z transmissions. Run a tape measure down it before you buy and compare with a known Z tranny.

I thought the 510' date=' 200SX, and truck trans was a couple inches shorter than a Z trans. Just checked it out... [url']http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/transmissions.html[/url]

So if you got a shorter trans you'd need to have the driveshaft lengthened. A lot of 510 guys run Z transmissions. Run a tape measure down it before you buy and compare with a known Z tranny.

What he said...

I've got a 4 speed in the 510 wagon at the moment and will be putting in a 5 speed out of one of the Z's..... but the driveshaft will need to be cut back..

I'm a newbie in the 510 scene but learning quickly.. Some parts are already at the paint shop getting expoxy primer.

The 510 as stock used a 63cm tranny length from end to end and the L6`s used a 71cm tranny.It takes some work to put a z car tranny in a 510( done it).Beware of the early 200sx 63cm dogleg 5 speeds .They won`t last long in a high HP car.

Since the 510 trans is shorter, Will the shifter be in the right place? Or up under the dash :-)

Jon, thanks for catching me on the tranny length and the driveshaft mod required. I have vague pictures in my head from "How to Modify and Race your Datsun," about the Z install into the 510, but not the other way around. Anyway...

Yep, I forgot about the length of the tranny--it is shorter, but it can still be made to work. Personally, I would do what the guys suggested above, and that's buying a known Z tranny. I find them often for sale on Craigslist in my area. If you do decide to install it, be prepared to have the shifter in a slightly awkward postion (farther forward). If the tranny if free though and you have your heart set on it, install it to see where the shifter comes in the cockpit. However, you will spend money on a new or modifed driveshaft anyway, so why not go for a known Z tranny anyway? It'll save a lot of time IMO. You are perhaps practicing false economy here.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ///FiveOneOh

as davyZ said check the shift pattern. if 1st gear is down you have a dogleg 5 speed, its shorter then the Z 5 and wont; fit your car without a new drivershaft and cuttign a new hole in your floor for the shifter. The dogleg is also not a strong a strong trans. Its pretty much a 510 4 speed with over drive... 150HP will kill it pretty fast if you drive hard.

If the shifter goes into a rubber bushing instead of the stard style..you are looking at a bone stock 510 4 speed. its crap you dun want it...

if the shift pattern is normal 5 speed style you have either a Truck or Z trans, either of these will bolt straight into your car. the truck trans may be closer ratio...