HybridZ

Changing wheel offset

I'm interested in changing the offset of my wheels so that I can delete the hub adapters I'm using. Before anyone suggests just buying a different set, my wheel style is out of production, and I've never heard of another set being for sale. These are multi-piece wheels, so the center section SHOULD un-bolt, allowing me to mount it on the rim section from a different wheel (or so I imagine). Has anyone ever done anything like that? If so, where did you get the rim pieces? I always heard one of the reasons for making multi-piece wheels (aside from weight savings) was that they allowed a wheel shop to repair them by only changing out the bent section, so that must mean you can get them somewhere, right?

Every internet search I've ever run has turned up a lot of places that will cut and widen a factory steel wheel, but nobody offering a service like the one I'm looking for.

If your wheels are out of production you are stuck. 3 piece wheels are not the same from one brand to another. Getting a different center section that fits perfect and has the same number of bolt holes and spacing would be purely luck. Having a custom made center would probably be more than the wheels are worth.

originally posted by: kennysgreen280zt

The wheels you have now are advan's right?

Actually no, they are Impul Hoshino Racing RS III wheels. I wanted advans, but they were too much/not available at the time. Plus these are super exclusive-I've never seen or heard of another set of this style anywhere else.

I saw the whole wheel prices too, that is definitely outrageous for my budget and needs, but if the shells are closer to $200 per wheel, that might be an option down the road. Their wheels are nice though, reminiscent of SSR's

Here is a pic of the wheels on the car (seems I've been posting this one everywhere lately):

DSCI0018.jpg

• 1 month later...

Old thread, back from the dead. I just talked to the nice lady at www.kodiakracingwheels.com and I'd be facing just under $1200 to get the rims only (no center section) with an UN polished lip in the offset that I want. They sell them by inner shell and outer shell, so that's 4 3.5" inner shells, 2 3.5" outers, and 2 4.5" outers, not polished. Also, you have to buy Dow Corning 832 adhesive from an industrial supply house, and glue the sections together yourself. For that price, I think I'd just try to find some Oni's in the correct offset, and save these for something else. Sigh...the bitter taste of defeat, yet again...

For the 3.5" polished outer shells, they wanted $182.55 each, and for the 4.5" outer shells they wanted $206.60 each. I was going to use 3.5" rear shells on both of those to keep my 17X7 and 17X8 wheel size. I just found a set of 17X8" Advan Oni's in -1 offset 4X114.3 bolt spacing for $1198 buy it now, with $85 shipping. Too bad I can't afford that either, but it makes me happy to know that those wheels do exist in decent offsets...

• 5 years later...

I have seen lots of rims with custom shells to change the size/width/offset etc... but I can't seem to find any places that can. Kodiak wheels no longer makes custom shells, i already spoke with them.

I have some 16in SSR Formula mesh that I'd like to turn into a set of 17x8 and 17x9.5 with ~+10mm offset all around. Does anyone here know of any other sources? Prefereably here in the United States? I have emailed SSR and not gotten a response.