HybridZ

Comparing Z-Cars

Guest jeremy11

Guest jeremy11

Can anyone please explain to me the benefits/drawbacks of the 240, 260, and 280z? I have searched several different ways on this site, and have been unable to locate any information on the subject. I became interested in the cars several years ago and would like to purchase one and put a v-8 under the hood. I love the way these cars can be made to look, but it seems to me that no matter which model you get, the final car can be made to look pretty much the same. I am only talking about the models up to 1978. I would appreciate any direction. I am a new member and would like to learn more about these cars.

Weight is the ultimate factor.

If you search in the various forums, you'll find that there are lots of little subtle things from model to model... for instance, the 240Z transitioned into the 280Z through the one model year known as the 74 260Z. That model was split between the 240 chassis (Noted by the early thin bumper) and the 280 chassis (noted by the big 5mph bumpers).

Later 280 Chassis were heavier in the 77-78 model years than in the 75-76 model years.

Door strikers are different depending on the model and year.

Strut housings on all 240s were of the shorter and smaller diameter than the later 260 and 280 models.

Stub axles were 27 spline on the R200 differential equipped cars...

I could go on, but I'd recommend searching this site and reading as much as you possibly can to educate yourself before you commit to buying a specific car.

Mike

• 4 months later...
Guest SkyHigh

Can anyone add to this? :confused: I know there are many people asking the same question. :confused2 What is the difference between a 240Z, 260Z, and a 280Z. :weird:

First of all, are there any physical/exterior changes? Besides the 'long' bumpers. (Are any panels modeled differently, or the tail-lights different or anything like that?) :-|

Most importantly what are the performance changes? Yes the engines are different, and the 280Z has fuel injection.. but can anyone give a brief summary of which one is good for what.. I've heard the injectors on the 280 catch fire? If you're going to swap an a v8 or rb20 in it... does it not really matter which you get?? :bonk:

for example I've heard the car slowly started to be made a touring type car instead of a responsive sports car.. small things dont matter like the stock cassete player or size fuel tank, all us noobs what to know the big differences. Mainly, is the handling better/worse/different on certain models, etc... :icon47:

There really isn't a lot of info on this online... and asking around, is like reading wikepedia, :ugg: everyone has their own opinion of the truth and in the end its all bullshit. :(

:hail:Thanks a lot for any help!!! :hail:

This year's my last chance to beat this dead horse :beatdeadhbefore the japanese anime/cartoon "wangan midnight" comes out and hords of ricers come out and snatch up anything that even remotely looks like a Z.. so in the end they will all be wrecked at the junkyard and the few left will have huge inflated prices!! :-(:violin:

We should ask Carl (who owns Zhome.com) if it'd be ok to copy some of the stuff he has on that site. It's a very good place to look for this type of info. Carl is a real stickler about making sure that the data on that site is correct. Anyway, these links may help:

http://zhome.com/History/timeline.html

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

http://zhome.com/History/zcarperf.html

While it is true that the 280Z chassis is probably stiffer and stronger in some aspects, much of this can be overshadowed if you stiffen a 240Z. My 73 has welded in sub frame connectors and a roll bar that ties in the floor behind the seats, the tunnel, and the rear strut towers. Not a scientific measure, but a long time ITS racer was very impressed with the solid feel of my V8 Z after I gave him a spirited ride.

Of course, you can do the same to a 280Z body, but the entire car will be heavier in both cases. If a stiffened 240Z is good enough, you end up with a lighter vehicle that may well be "good enough" from a strength/stiffness standpoint. I drive my car very hard, take it to track days and it has no signs of any damage from the cornering, braking or acceleration loads with Toyo RA-1s, Wilwood racing brakes and a 327 with roughly 350crank hp or more.

The big key on chassis and overall strength and rigidity depends on what you really "need". A nice mild street SBC or some of the nice tourqey straight 6's and 4's people are building/swapping, 300-400 horse only needs basic chassis work in order to keep the car rigind enough for the torque applied. Of course when you start building high torque high horsepower then you need to consider a full tube chassis or cage and frame connectors that run the full length of the car. As usual it is a matter of economics in most cases.

Also consider whether this will be a weekend road course car, drag/streetracer or just a showboat. Different needs for different breeds. Pick the body you like best, maximize the potential you can afford, dont always expect to be the fasted one in the pack and have fun...

I'm a 260z buff myself, but people cringe when they hear I cut up a somewhat rarer model. They can get over it.

Guest SkyHigh

does anybody know exactly how much heavier the 260 & 280 z's are?

i know thats probably the most annoying spec to find about any car.. there will be at least 5 different figures you'll find varying up to 800pounds..

SkyHigh, what are you planning on building?

This site has a wide variety of people with differing options.

Due to the varying options and driving styles of the members here you will get varying answers.

Your first question:

"Can anyone add to this? I know there are many people asking the same question. What is the difference between a 240Z, 260Z, and a 280Z. "

Answer: Engine size, phycial size and weight. Along with many other subtle changes.

240z = 2.4 liter displacement

260z = 2.6 liter displacement

280z = 2.8 liter displacement

Nissan increased the engine size and fuel systems to meet US EPA and FED crash regulations while trying to maintain performance to which the car was designed.

First of all, are there any physical/exterior changes? Besides the 'long' bumpers. (Are any panels modeled differently, or the tail-lights different or anything like that?)

Yes, to all of the above and then some.

I am not sure about the 260z but for instance the hoods are different between the 240 and 280. On the 280's the fenders and quarters were modified due to the bumpers. There was even a change in the "crash" bumpers. None of the US models had amber blinker lenses on the back.

"Most importantly what are the performance changes? Yes the engines are different, and the 280Z has fuel injection.. but can anyone give a brief summary of which one is good for what.. I've heard the injectors on the 280 catch fire? If you're going to swap an a v8 or rb20 in it... does it not really matter which you get?? "

It got worse year by year. Thanks to the US EPA and FED GOV.

"but can anyone give a brief summary of which one is good for what.."

Well, this depeds on what year and which woman!!!!

"I've heard the injectors on the 280 catch fire? "

AND????

"If you're going to swap an a v8 or rb20 in it... does it not really matter which you get??"

See first question in this reply!

"for example I've heard the car slowly started to be made a touring type car instead of a responsive sports car.. small things dont matter like the stock cassete player or size fuel tank, all us noobs what to know the big differences. Mainly, is the handling better/worse/different on certain models, etc... "

Well you may think that small things don't matter, BUT, they do! If you consider from the time that the first Z cars arrived in 69 until the last 280z in 78 there where a lot of small changes. These changes added and extra 400~500 pounds raised the ride height,etc... Which inturn changed this car from a sports type to a GT type car.

"There really isn't a lot of info on this online... and asking around, is like reading wikepedia, everyone has their own opinion of the truth and in the end its all bullshit"

Unfortunately you feel that the end result is Bull.

If you would read some automovite history you might learn that ALL car manufactures that sold cars in the US went throught the same problems during the 70's, which deals with the EPA and FED crash regulations.

In some ways I consider this to be the "DARK AGES" in US history. Military, Politics, cars and DISCO.... ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sex, now that is a different story :)

And finally for your next post.

"does anybody know exactly how much heavier the 260 & 280 z's are?

i know thats probably the most annoying spec to find about any car.. there will be at least 5 different figures you'll find varying up to 800pounds.."

This is even a question that Nissan probably can't even answer.

Early 74 Coupe~ 2400

78 2+2 2900~3100

It depends on which year and which model.

Hope this helped, good luck!!

It would be cool to have a sticky thread where all hybridz owners could post car weights regaurdless modifications. No two scales or cars are the same, but it would give a us good feel for what is happening out there in the real world. Just a thought.

Brian