Z32 Tranny Install Writeup

Garrett76Zt

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just sent mine off about a week ago and they said that they are on back order for 2-3 weeks. so i should get it back in about 4 but i am no hurry my car doesn't even run nor is my daily. But i will let you guys know how it turns out as soon as i get it.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've been following the related posts and have a few questions. Is there an open gap at the bottom of the bellhousing to engine block because of the adapter (no picture shows this area)? Why wasn't it made full round? Couldn't the shifter link and bracket be shortened about 1.5" to 2" to allow the shifter to sit closer to the stock location? Why not cut the rear crossmember on either side close to the bushing and offset these to match the chassis mounts? This could be done using a couple of pieces 1/4" flat stock.

• 2 months later...

I was looking at transmisions on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-UP-NISSAN-TRUCK-P-U-2WD-V6-5-SPEED-TRANSMISSION_W0QQitemZ320090014801QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this one be like the 2wd truck/pathfinder (shorty) transmisions that were discussed earlier? There is no shifter in the pic, but looks like it just bolts into the top.

• 1 month later...

i got a question, now that youve driven this, how are the ratios for n/a cars??? the stock trannys are such crap that this slightly more modern upgrade is almost a must for someone like me who beats the living crap outta his trannys at autox and on the street. good write-up as well.

Guest 280ZForce

I think the driveshaft info needs to be updated, because I think the flange yoke he used was the wrong one, as austin (240hoke) had a problem with it as well and had to redrill it or something I guess.

I ordered my driveshaft the other day from Power Industries which is kinda local to me and I confirmed with them the flange that my driveshaft has now vs the 1 that Garrett has on the list are a lot different.

SHADY280 - I have a link for the z32 gear ratios but do not have access to my computer at the moment.

Guest 280ZForce
this is some great info nice work grarrett a sticky would be great .i wonder if this could be done for a zx aswell............................:?:

yes it can be done for a ZX as well, your driveshaft length would be different though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone ever tried the tranny from a nissan v6 pickup truck? I just picked one up from the junkyard for a friend of mines swap into another pickup. I know now after running a tape on them that they arent any shorter than the z32 tranny's since they both measure about 29 and a 1/4. The part that appeals to me is the shifter location being right where that cover plate resides on the z32 tranny. The z31's also run the same tranny but appear to be longer, I havent been able to confirm this yet. The shifter plate looks the same as the fs5w71c's though which the trucks dont look anything like and actually look much wider. anyway, just thought I would let people know if they didnt already. peace.

I am in the process, of building a Z32 tranny adapter to fit the L series this week for a car of mine. If any interest I can build a few extra for those in need.

1 fast z, is this adapter you are building a copy of the one you bought off 240hoke?