Z32 Tranny Install Writeup

Garrett76Zt

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it wouldnt matter. I would think that would be in a poor taste but I wasnt curious for that reason. I liked Austins adapter and wanted to get one but didn't have the cash at the time. Now that I do, I want to know if 1 fast Zs will be similiar in construction as I am familiar with Austins. I dont care who makes them, I just want one. :o

Doesnt need to be as thick, I will pilot in different areas, I will use SHCS rather than counter sinks, etc. I bought one as I didnt have my CNC going at the time, and I needed one for my DOHC project QUICK. Now that my CNC is going, I can make one of my own styles, for another car of mine. Nothing wrong with his setup, dont get me wrong, real nice.

First of all it does need to be as think. The mazworks plates flex when you press in the clutch.

If you want it thinner make it out of something stronger maybe 7075 or steel. Or make it go all the way around the transmission (see if you can sell them for 300 then hahaha)

Second of all I will be making another run of these this fall they will be 200-300 dollars depending on final cost probably in the lower range. Everything will be CNC machined.

Second I want to say that my design is AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE, it was drawn up using and VERY precise CMM machine. Any attempt to copy it will provide something that is not as accurate.. in fact I don't know of any other means to make the adapter that would be more accurate.

1_fast_Z can you enlighten us on how you made your adapter? I would like to see how you make the plate thinner and use SHCS's.

here is the thread on my adaptors:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120007&highlight=z32+transmission

First of all it does need to be as thick. The mazworks plates flex when you press in the clutch.

Second of all I will be making another run of these this fall they will be 200-300 dollars depending on final cost probably in the lower range. Everything will be CNC machined.

Second I want to say that my design is AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE, it was drawn up using and VERY precise CMM machine. Any attempt to copy it will provide something that is not as accurate.. in fact I don't know of any other means to make the adapter that would be more accurate.

1_fast_Z can you enlighten us on how you made your adapter? I would like to see how you make the plate thinner and use SHCS's.

here is the thread on my adaptors:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120007&highlight=z32+transmission

I'll take two! Which ever of you guys gets it done first, I'll be your first customer!! Please contact me at ken280z@hotmail.com

240hooke, read my post man, I said there is NOTHING WRONG with your design, at ALL, im just making my different just to be different, thats all! As for competitive, im not trying to be competitive at all in this market, I was just offereing it to those who were in need. I would recomend 240hooke to anyone in a heartbeat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Garrett, I have the same setup you got purchased from mazworx, I have not put this transmission together yet. I was told by James at mazworx that this unit will not work with the original speed gauges due to the electronic. Did you work a way out where you can use the original gauge, did you run into any trouble? Or are you using aftermarket gauges?

Actually with correct nut inserts it works perfectly, Ive done it on a few different trans swaps. Much cheaper, and less hassle, with the same end result. I am actually machining some now for Z32 trans into First and second gen z cars. That way, a guy doesnt have to dissasemble his trans, nor mail his bellhousing, or take it to a shop. I am just making them for a couple of guys that have PM'd me on doing them for them. Remember the TORSIONAL force is taken by dowells, not by the bolts, only force the bolt takes, is the weight of the trans and holding force length wise. Adapters have been made for over 60 years this way, ever since motor swaps have started. Sure its not that big of deal for me to maching a bellhousng, as I own a shop, but for the average joe, it is. :)

I just took my trans to my trans buddy who owns a trans shop, to tear the bellhousing off of the 32 trans, so I can machine it. Should have the trans in this week, I hope. Now I have to find a custom slip yoke to fit a 1310 u joint. I hope not to break any more transmissions after this. I will be using your adapter by the way.

Good to hear, I hope everythign works out well for you. Contact powertrain industries they should be able to hook you up with the yoke. Neat that my adapter will be used on your setup.. cant wait to see the power figure of your beast.

Also if you havent thought of it aready you can use studs through the adapter (or flat heads from the engine side) and secure the tranny with nuts. This woudl aid in alignment as well.

I would still be worried abit about the thickness though and would prolly make it full circumference to help with flexing.. just food for thought.

Peace.

• 1 month later...