HybridZ

cummins diesel turbo in a Z?

240zwannabe

• 2 weeks later...

Found these posts on Pirate 4x4 from a guy named "dieselcruiserhead" about the Cummins 4BT motors (4 cylinder Cummins):

"Pretty much, almost all of the parts are interchangable, including torque plates, injectors, etc. There are some guys out there screamin' 400 hp out of them. Most stock ones are 105 hp, about 300 ft/lbs of torque. But that torque is right off the line at idle, they power the big 18 ft Frito Lay / Wonderbread vans you see around, they also power them very well IMO, great acceleration off the line... In a DDer I'm yet to find out My version is a 1991 factory intercooled, 120 hp, about 320 ft/lbs of torque I believe. It is the Bosch VE rotarty pump, same as early Cummins, reliable but most easily effected by crappy fuel. With my intercooler (out of a Volvo 740 Turbowagon) I will make the 120 hp easily, some are saying if I want I can get up to 200 hp easily with the screw (and I don't think it will effect milage too much??). I might hop it up a little, I also want it very reliable. Take it to NY next week? -no problem

If you intercool a 105 hp version, turn up the fuel slightly and intercool, you have my version... They rattle and vibrate along nicely. In stock form not too bad. I believe the more you hop it up the louder and more vibration you get (significantly)... Sometimes they can be defening... But this one I fired up before I put it in (unknown history but I estimate it has about 60K miles on it)... and it wasn't too loud at all..."

and

"Sorry forgot to answer earlier question... Body lift is in fact also a good idea, I might take that route at some point as well.. For adapter, the 4BT most commonly (believe it or not) comes with a Chevy 350 pattern. Only thing is that the way it originally fit in the breadvans (by far it's most popular application) is 10 degrees rotated clockwise if look at it's ass, or 10 degrees counter clockwise if looking from the front. You can see from the photos... I originally bought a used Advance Adapters bellhousing that would have worked and I should have tried it. Instead, since I needed a Dodge standard duty rear output, I went with the whole Dodge standard duty trans, using the AA plate adapter to the early Chevy SM465 cast iron bellhousing. Very beefy, a little longer but that's what I was actually looking for, it turned out perfect I think...

Here's a photo of the drivetrain before including the plate adapter: http://www.collegeinternetsolutions....drivetrain.jpg

You can see the plate and the early style bellhousing that does not have a bottom. It uses a costmetic bottom piece, but it's because the bellhousing is so strong it doesn't need a bottom. The Dodge standard duty input shaft has the same spline count as a Chevy, but is an inch longer and uses a bigger bore pilot bearing. So the AA kit works perfect length-wise, and comes with a special pilot bushing for using the Dodge trans (which I recommend if you are using a NP241), but the bushing didn't work in my Cummins flywheel. I had to go get a special bearing from a bearing manufacturer and have it machined into the Cummins hole, yet another $50 lost. Done and told I'm probably into the bellhousing/clutch setup about $700-$800 unfortunately. Not too bad but still expensive... The clutch itself is available in two part numbers, a 12" and 13" ; I used the 12" one which turns out is the same part number for a '68 through '90-somthing 454 Chevy. Because the input shaft has the same spline pattern as the chevy, I used the Chevy clutch, a LUK brand which I hear is pretty good. I expect it to hold up pretty well.

Here's the flywheel. THICK...

http://www.collegeinternetsolutions....elbearings.jpg

Bearing installed is the Dodge (same size for all Dodge trannies) .75" inner bore. The Chevy inner bore is .059" slightly smaller. So, to use the Dodge trans with a Chevy bellhousing, AA supplies that bronze pilot bushing seen in photos. Above/right of it is the original Cummins pilot bearing for a Chevy trans. OEM standard trans was a SM465 4 speed. They also used some sort of Allison auto trans, 2WD...

The hardest part of the adapter was figuring out the pilot bearing situation but it really was not that hard at all...

Hope it helps!"

Here's on group for the motors:

http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/

and another:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/

diesel mercedes cars doing burnouts..:-) pretty cool..

When is someone going to put a turbodiesel in a Z?

trying to work out all the kinks and what not before i actually commit. i'm just worried about early winter morning startups, pain in the butt. i might just be sticking with the l28et swap as i have just acquired a sale of two Z's for $600. not sure of their shape though, i'll be going to look at them here within the next few days.

yeah i saw the post about the duramax, in louisville theres a guy running a 7.8 in a duramax truck in the 1/8th mile. i hadnt thought about weight, i was more set on power! anybody else?

ya he runs like 8.9s in the 8th mile. hes got it about at 15 lbs and propane injection. thats pretty damn fast for a truck.

• 1 month later...

Any diesel is insanely heavy. you'd have to put a new front suspension under it to handle the weight, and beef up the chassis a ton to handle the torque. Remember, you have to get at least a 3/4 ton truck to get a diesel, so they dont trust that extra weight even to a half ton truck's front suspension. On the other hand, cummins made a 4-cylinder deisel thats alot lighter. Also, the mercedes/freightliner/dodge Sprinter stright trucks have a fairly high revving, powerful 5 cylinder turbo diesel that's fairly light for a diesel.

diesel mercedes cars doing burnouts..:-) pretty cool..

When is someone going to put a turbodiesel in a Z?

It's already been done a few times now... Remember the Veggie car? That guy that was way into biodiesel? He took a complete LD28 diesel engine and the turbo & manifold off a ZXT, and put it all into a 240z. It supposedly got around 45 mpg, and would still do 120mph.

The easiest route to get a diesel in your Z would be to find a complete diesel maxima, and just take everything you need off of it, and then when you're done put the Z engine in the maxima and sell it.