HybridZ

'91 Infiniti Q45 Swap in 240Z

Royal Flush

First off I'd like to say hello, and I'm new to these forums so Hello.

Right now I have a 1991 Infiniti Q45 in which everything works, and I'm probably going to get a '73 Datsun 240Z next Sunday if all goes well that needs some good TLC.

I've seen lots of posts of people swapping the L24 engine with the Q45's Engine and it is something I have been seriously considering (also to prove my father wrong).

So I know that this is possible to swap the engine with my old car into the new 240Z but I need to know what other parts would I need.

I know that the 240Z is Manual but the Q45 is Automatic so would I need some clutch parts or what?

Basically I would like maybe a list to show the jist of what I need if I was going to swap the Q45 engine with the 240Z, and if possible, It'd be very helpful if there was a site that had maybe a guide with pictures so I can see and read up on what this would take.

If I feel I cannot do this, then I will just rebuild the L24 or try to swap with an L28 and rebuild that.

Also the Q has over 120,000mi so I'd like to know if any sites have good engine rebuild parts that aren't sites that have bed customer service.

Most replies are thanked and I hope I can get that '73 Z, if I do I will update y'all regularly on the progress of it.

Also, how long does it normally take to rebuild a car if I have alot of free time to work on it?

Hi, welcome; and I have some advice,

You seem like a very likable young man.

Search here for a member named mtcookson, he is the expert on this swap.

Use the search function daily for your answers as this site is different than other sites and there really are most of the answers available for you.

Maybe listen to your Dad, he seems like a very smart guy.

It will take three to fours times your budget with no changes in your plans.

It will take four or five times as long with no changes in your plans.

It will take ten times longer if you have a girlfriend.

You will probably lose your girlfriend over it in the end.

Good luck with it, my son has a custom 91 Q45. Sometimes it is easier to change a car a little rather than build one from scratch. He has now removed the ugly mudflaps and replaced the wheel well moldings which are painted to match. These thumbnail pictures are horrible they make all the color separation and body lines look jagged. The big pictures show the perfect line separation. Not bad for an 18 year old with no money and his first paint/car job.

Infiniti left front angle_thumb.jpg

Infiniti left rear angle thumbnail_thumb.jpg

Infiniti interior thumbnail_thumb.jpg

Infiniti left front wheel thumbnail_thumb.jpg

With the questions you are asking it sounds like it will be much more than you can do. "It'd be very helpful if there was a site that had maybe a guide with pictures". If I am wrong sorry. Just trying to save you from a project that may be more than you are ready for. John Dixon on here can get you a 5 spd trans adapter but that will be the easy part. Fabbing motor/trans mounts, wiring , custom driveshaft, exhaust, and alot of misc that adds up in time and money. No swap is hard if you can weld/fab, and wire.

Clifton, can you tell me exactly how you put the picture in your note here. I tried to do my son's 91Q45 and only got the tiny one you see. What am I doing wrong? This has frustrated me for two years. Someone else did the one of my old Zcar for me. I want to learn how to do it myself.

Well right now I'm thinking I'm gonna either rebuild the L24 it came with or try to find an L28 and rebuild that since I will sell the Q for maybe $3000 to get some cash to work on the car.

I'm used to wiring, soldering, assembling, but I've never dont welding which is why I have one of my buds with me that is gonna help.

Are there any other sites I should look at for Z stuff (Maybe another forum, parts, etc?)

Heh I dont think I'll do a two tone on the Q, I'll keep it a luxury car, I was thinking of putting in a nice sound system though.

But yeah, any info on how long it would normally take to rebuild the L24 alongside take care of alot of body rust and replacing a few things like filters, oil pumps etc?

• 2 weeks later...
I know that the 240Z is Manual but the Q45 is Automatic so would I need some clutch parts or what?

I'm pretty sure the Q45 and TTZ32 have the same automatic transmission, so it might be worth it to pick up a 5speed from a Z32 (the NA and TT are the same. To install TT clutch and flywheel, all you need to do is ground the housing down and shim out the starter a bit. http://www.z1motorsports.com has a damn good writeup in their tech section.) and see if it mates up to the Q45 motor. If it does, all you'll need it a master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch lines, clutch kit, flywheel, pedal assemblies, a starter, some wiring knowhow, and you're set. I think I have a brake pedal assembly sitting around here somewhere if you're interested...