HybridZ

1971 240z restoration PICS

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Surfsup

nice. i love this thread. it makes me have hopes for my car haahh..

its going to be one sweet ride. tell you that

hey i was wondering what front lip is that?

Guest 280ZForce

damn clean, love seeing the fast progress. the car is looking really good. throwin money at these cars is so easy to do, breaks the bank a lot.

Hey Wickiewicked240z,

Great work! I'm getting ready to start dismantling my 240. I originally was thinking of keeping my chassis on the car during media blasting to make moving it around easier, but seeing how nice yours is coming together, I think it's going to be well worth my time taking it down to the bare bones.

I'm curious how hard it's been for you to move the shell around? Any guesses at what it weighs with everything taken off? Any words of wisdom for a guy about to go through what you have over he last several months?

Again, great work. It's hard to believe this is your first restoration!

Definately an inspiration!

wow. that is WAY too much for any media blasting.

unless its sodium bicarbonate blasting, which is like 180 Canadian, an hour, and usually takes about 7 hours.

im sure it's walnut shell if it's red and very fine. and that means it should have been somewhere near 400 bux for the entire car.

but i will admit, the job was done well. and the epoxy primer was applied smoothly, which is always an added bonus... even though you should sand anyways at prep time just before painting.

acid dipping costs 1200 here in Ontario, Canada.

media blasting, you can usually go to a tractor trailer re-seller and rental/repair place, and they usually know a hook up that they use to re-blast equipment and repaint it when it starts to look like a pinata

Sorry to dig up ancient history here, but for those who are curious, I just called about 5 different shops here in the Phoenix area and it looks like it'll be about $1000 to do my entire car. That's with copper slag @ $70/hour. If I want glass bead or walnut shell, it's $140/hour (double the cost)

later

at first i was moving the shell with a skateboard in the back and a dollie on the front. THe front end is pretty light but the back is more heavy.

It cost me $1300 because they sprayed eching primer i did all my welding before i sprayed it with epoxy primer then bodywork. Also lable everything!!!!! it takes a lot of time and lots and lots of money, since im not doing it original is costing more.

Sounds good!

Yah, keeping track of everything I take off and being able to properly reassemble is the part that scares me more than anything else. I'm going to take a ridiculous amount of pictures during disassembly so I have a reference when it's time to put it back together.

Keep up the good work!