HybridZ

Nissan Y44 v8 australia

zed240au

hi there after 16 years good service and very little work somewhere in the area of 20000 km ive decided to pension off my current engine so i thought id let it be known its avliable if any other zed owners are interested

engine is nissan y44 v8 nissan president alloy heads 4 barrell manifold

piranha igition hand built extractors 600 double pumper holley polished valve covers full twin 2" stainless steel exhaust single rear muffler

Gearbox is celica 5 speed steel case box mated to nissan v8 auto bell housing heavy duty cermic clutch on datsun 6 cyl flywheel tail shaft to suit and possibly radiator

i have a full gasket kit to suit

engine will bolt straight into a 240z no modifications need to engine bay or engine tunnel mounts bolt straight on to crossmember and gearbox mounts

on researching engine i belive it delivers around 220 hp as is only time on 1/4 mile drag strip with 3.9 open diff delivered 14.9 quarter reasonable fuel econmy pretty much same as std 260 motor i ran before

check out my photo gallery for pics of motor

always gets attention at any shows real talking point

pvt me if anyone wants a different motor for a very reasonable price

Mick

There is a member (David K) on this site that has a Y40, but it needs rebuilding and I don't think he has the parts to do it (he wants one to put in his z). I will attempt to email and PM him on this and perhaps he will show some interest. How much?

One other thing, I've yet to figure out how to navigate (or even find the "photo gallery") is this the "garage" link. Anyway, could you link me to your photos?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, just found this on Yahoo.JP! It's an '86 EFI Y44E from a President. It looks to have some kind of TBI- yech (stage 1 of performance mods to TBI: remove TBI).

2 days are left on the auction if anyone is a quick wheeler & dealer. It's at around $850 right now, not including shipping :wink:. I saved a pic in my album for HybridZ posterity.

* * * H 252 President engine 180860 & * *

Nissan_Y44_from_H252_1986_President.jpg

No, not quite. It takes alot of work to put a motor into a car that it was not designed for. Things like custom motor mounts, drive shaft, wiring, tranny mounts, possible cutting the body, suspension modifications to account for added weight, body reinforcement due to power output and the list goes on and on.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Z has a huge engine bay capable of housing many different styles of engines. Just because it can physically fir in there does not mean its a bolt in swap. The only motor you can just bolt in would be another Nissan L-6, but even that can take some work if you are swapping something like a FI L28 into a '72 240z.

Huh! The Y44 isnt this the Q45 motor. The president is like are Q45 but the engine codes dont match. US VK45DE and JP VK45DD thats for the Cima 02+. The President was the older version of the Q45 dont know for sure but looks like from 96+ and that motor was US VH45DE and same one goes to Japan. I am a bit confused here, so which year is this one Y44E?

Ok found it 73-89 President 250 4.4L Y44E V8 and the new one 90-02 would run VH45DE.

Thats a bit old for a motor, its a v8 but still. I remember this one Z that had a VH45DETT in it, that thing was a beast.

So how much for the Y44E???

The appeal for this motor is for those indivduals that want a '70s era Datsun motor in their '70s era Z car. I believe this motor was used in later (SCCA or IMSA) racing being it was of the same manufacturer even though it was not the 6 cylinder (can someone verify this?)

engine will bolt straight into a 240z no modifications need to engine bay or engine tunnel mounts bolt straight on to crossmember and gearbox mounts

So one person says you need to change the engine and transmission mounts just like as if you were to put a Chevy or Ford V-8, but the original poster says this? Bolt straight on to crossmember (huh?) and gearbox mounts? Okay so If I am reading this correctly.... the tranny mounts are the same but the engine bolts right onto the X-member? Arent there engine mounts connected to the X-member? So are you saying that the engine mounts for the Y44 bolt right onto the x-member, in place of the stock 240 mounts? yet the trans mounts are the same and it bolts up to a 240 gearbox? I'm confused :ugg:

Jake

Long time no post. I have a Datsun Y40 V8 mated to a Datsun 5 speed with the front half automatic transmission bellhousing, and the rear half of a 5 speed aluminum welded together. Information on these engines is very scarce. Everything is a direct bolt in with the correct mounts. You guys in the states wont find any of these motors, and if you do, you are very lucky. I got lucky.

Terry, I have an article that talks about the Paul Newmann Twin Turbo 280zx based on the Y series V8. Ill scan it again and post it.

just to sort out any confusion my motor and box will bolt straight into a 240z no modifications needed to the car this is because the engine mounts on the engine have been custom made to match the 240z crossmember nothing over complicated there just changing the angle of the engine mount made from rhs

as for the gearbox a 240z gearbox mount has been adapted to the celica 5 speed box and bolts into std mounts in tunnell of car

there are two mods needed to fit to car the gear lever fits 3" forward of nissan so need to cut a little bigger hole there and as i was running cable throttle cable would need to convert to that or previously i ran solid links re the std nissan style so could provide that if needed

used std radiator std clutch master cylinder

So to answer the questions no a nissan v8 is not a straight swap but this motor having already ran in a 240z is

mick

as noted the extractors i hand built to suit aussie rhd drive so not sure on the lhd fitment

just learnt that problem with my ls1 install lhd headers dont even look like fitting rhd oh well done it once before so suppose i can do it again another set of hand built headers on the way to suit ls1 rhd

fun of conversions should have learnt last time lol

mick

Well David K, it has been a LONG time. How's that Y40 install coming along?

Actually i havent seen the engine in quite a while after busting my butt for parts i couldnt find. I didnt want to take a chance and take the whole engine apart just to get stuck. Its sitting downstairs in the garage. Also, hi :)

Dave, are you still doing the 5.0L SBF in 280zx swap ?

Yeah, ill get to that after i finish a TT swap in my ladys z32, and my z32 n/a build. I have a list of priorities that im slowly following. :(

I believe this motor was used in later (SCCA or IMSA) racing being it was of the same manufacturer even though it was not the 6 cylinder (can someone verify this?)

You boys try not to mess your pants now, ya hear?

Bob Sharp/Paul Newman 900+hp V8 Twin Turbo 1980-81 280zx

Z Car Magazine, Summer 1997

http://ghostkilla.net/misc/paulnewmanv8280zx.htm

lol, you poor bugger,

how has your recovery been from your op btw?

I still have issues, but im alive!