HybridZ

Super Datsun w/IMSA flares is finally home!

Bob_H

Thanks guys - what a surprising response!

Lets see:

Headlight covers - I dont' think so at this time. I don't have any, and I don't know how it would change the current look. No plans at this time. I'll get it put together and go from there.

RB26 plans? Stock initially - which is about 320-330 rwhp. I want to get it running, work out the bugs, fab some parts, then I'll worry about more power. I haven't been able to drive this car for three years - I don't want to prolong that even more because I wanted more power. I have a low mileage R33 in excellent condtion.

After the car is all sorted, I expect to upgrade the power into the high 400 rwhp range, maybe more - I'm keeping it reasonable. 450+ rwhp is plenty in a 2500lb car. More than that and it gets very hard to drive on the track, (tracks, not drags).

I still have some serious fab'ing ahead of me with the intercooler, piping, radiator/intercooler ducting, intake pipes, etc..

I'm disappointed, the ghost flames didn't quite show in the lower resolution shots. I guess that is the intent - it doesn't stick out and you have to look for them. If anyone is in Norfolk, VA before Nov 1st, shoot me an E-mail and you can come take a look. After that, we are moving down to Corpus Christi, TX - same applies there - just drop me a line if your around.

-Bob

I finally uploaded a clearer shot of the ghost flames. There is a story behind the flames - more on that later. :)

Ghost1_1.jpg

Its good to hear some new news about your car, its been a personal favorite of mine for some time now, its really coming along and looking fantastic! When you get settled in Corpus I would love to see you and your Z make it up to a few shows in Austin and San Antonio! Let me know when you get comfortable down there and I can give you info on our club and particular happenings.

I have now changed my mind; I now, don't think Bob's kit is the same kit I had in the old days that the guy in the other thread (IMSA BODY KIT - 5 PIECES) is now offering. The pictures the guy sent to my email shows it to be much much wider and now I remember the dead on rear look better.

However, there is no way any kit is going to look better than Bob's. What a beautiful car. I would be afraid to drive it, just as I was mine after the Candy Paint painter moved away.

If someone can teach me how, I will post those pics he sent me here. I don't mean the ones he has on the thread. These are other ones that show the width more readily, even though the pictures themselves aren't very good.

Beautiful :shock::hail::cry2:

Is that house of kolor cinnamon?

Nope.

I scrounged all the paint chips in the books, etc.. looking for what I wanted. This was a late 90's Renault color. Some turquoise,(green), and yellow involved - more than say, the Honda Copper.

As for this kit - I believe that the IMSA kit might have been slightly modified to fit his requirements. There really is no other kit on the market which has these kind of flares that haven't just recently come on the market,(i.e. recent as in last 5 years) - or more accurately, any largely produced kit. It is possible that these were a one-off, but I seriously doubt it as the front fenders are a full fiberglass setup. The front at a min. is a IMSA kit, but I'm inclined to believe that the rear could be a slighly modified version of the IMSA - i.e. more cut in after the flare in the back. Just my thoughts. Maybe someday I'll get it close to another. There was a guy from Richmond who would instruct with NASA and other groups with me and he had a 240z with the same flares. He had set it up as a GT-2 setup, and just used it for fun. Unfortunatly, at the last event I was at with him, a guy didn't brake properly behind him and slammed into the rear of his car, basically totaling the Z. The cage did its job and he was fine, but bummer on the car - such is the life when you take in on the track. He had been tracking it for a number of years and I guess it was just its time.

Remember - there is a TON of body work involved in those flares since it was purple - and they are deceptive in how far out they go. They worked long and hard to smooth them out and make it seamless. They are honkin wide flares to say the least. I personally believe they are the same as your older car based on the pics I have seen.

-Bob

DAMMIT!!!! Bob is that the IMSA flare kit? Im getting that set if so....I have a GNOSE!!!!!! What wheels are those again? 4 lug?

Terry

CCW's. yes' date=' 4 lug standard Datsun hub. You can order CCW's pretty much any way you want. Not cheap, but they look good and fit the bill.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery.php?id=nissan#a

They come in 17 and 18 inch sizes, in widths up to 17 inches! They are called the "Classic".

Bob' date='

Is the color you selected for your car an OEM color code or was it was it a custom color? My wife and I agree the car is gorgeous!!

thanks,

RacerX[/quote']

Thanks!

It was an OEM color. I'll need to do some research to find out what year and what model if I can - I'll let you know. I have the full paint mixing quanities in my 1 quart of extra touch-up paint, but of course you need the same type of paint.

Give me a few weeks and I'll find it - I'm kinda busy with some Navy stuff getting ready for a detachment next week.

-Bob

These are the old pictures he sent me. You can now see how outrageously racecar wide his/this kit is. The ragged wheel well in the third picture is a result of racing and not of molding. My kit came with a lip on the outside circumference of the wheel well opening and looked very finished.

By the way, I still do not know exactly how to post pictures like you guys do here. I have just now figured out how to do these stupid thumbnails. If you click on them, I guess they get bigger.

Rear - red & white_thumb.jpg

Rear - white on trailer_thumb.JPG

Left rear_thumb.JPG

Front left_thumb.JPG

Front right_thumb.JPG

So Oldestzguy are you still ordering the kit and are any others also doing the same. I am just hoping that the guys kits are going to be good quality and fit. If they are I am in and I can only imagine others will be also. It would be even better if it comes with the G-nose as shown in your thumbnails. I wish the people lots of luck that are buying the kits and thank you guys for being the test group.

I would be the test guy immediately if I hadn't just sold my perfect project car before this kit surfaced. Right now I am in the middle of a four month move that includes some construction and delays etc. However, I am definitely in and will not mind being the first guy to buy a kit should that happen. I just have to find a car and make sure the space is available. I am in, one way or another.

Check this kit out at ZLALOMZ's new website at:

http://zlalomz.googlepages.com/imsagtuz

Your can certainly see the width of the kit in those pictures. Give it a few seconds to load as there are some great pictures at the bottom also.

By the way, if you leave OFF the Gnose, the car looks monstrously wider and much more menacing. If you fill some of the big grille area up with oil coolers, driving lights, (like the blue and white one on the bottom of zlalomz's website) etc. it really looks like it means business, much like the old real Cobras (not Mustang). If you go with the Gnose, it looks much much longer and more flowing, but I like the shorter nasty look, especially with a old fashioned radically cammed V8 and flowmasters.

I understand what you are saying about the blue and white one at the bottom but the red one just above is also very nice. I guess it has to do with that I saw some of the first Scarab kits, when they came out, with the full body kit including the G-nose on them and that look always stayed with me. If you are looking for a Z, I might see one that fits your need, since I tend to come across them on a regular basis, in all kinds of conditions, mostly because I am all over the place during the week and only home on the weekends.

Also I have a feeling I will need the extra room in the G-nose since I am going LS twin turbo and it might just allow for some much needed space.

I hope there will be at least one person doing the kit sooner, just because I want to know what the final product looks like so I can make the call at that time.

I've bought many fiberglass parts in my life for many cars and have never been happy with any of them other than a few air dams. All of the bigger pieces have to be sprayed with sandable primer and bocked out over and over and over for a true factory appearance (see RacerX for real info). The fitament on the kit (edges) I had was great but I still had to add the wheel wells and blocking out because the parts were made off of a mold that was made from a Z with steel custom flares for racing.

I dont usually care for the G-Nose on Z's but that is just stupendous.

I keep seeing these heavily body modded Z's and start to look at my plans and seriously consider changing the nature of my project. Those flares just look AMAZING with the G-Nose.. God, you poeple are gonna keep throwing this gold at me and keep forcing me to re-evaluate my plans, lol. Pro as me thinking 2Jz, and now this for a G-nose and flares..

Anyway, absolutely amazing, it is now my official favorite Z, lol