HybridZ

? on a roll cage for my car & addin a tq. arm will this

Guest Night_rider_383

Guest Night_rider_383

ok I'm still looking for a car (1970-73 240z)

But i'm working all my parts out and buying up what i can right now.

My 1st ?? is I wanna get the pantera rear hatch. This hatch does away with the lay back glass and all. It's kinda Flat. In a way looks kinda like the mid 70's vettes But with a seem. Take a look at arizona Z

I need 10 or 12 point roll cage but i know the two rear bars will run almost at the same angle as the oem hatch. What can i do to get the rear bars to fit with this style hatch without having to cut the hatch and have the bars running through it?

i wanted to see what yall think about this as well. I know a stiffer chassis is better. I was thinking about one of the 2 things to help out.

Cut off a torque arm mount from a 3rd gen camaro and weld it to my ford 9'' housing and getting a tail shaft housing for my tranny that has a mount for the torque arm and fab up an adjustable torque arm from 1''X.058'' or 1-1/8''X.083 4120 aircraft tubing.

or use about the same type tubing and use weld on brackets for the rear end, Weld one bracket on each side of the rear close to the thirdmember, place 2 short pc. of tubing on them brakets and "y" them two pc. together right past the rear u-joint, then come off that "y" with one pc. of tubing that runs to the trans crossmember.

Do yall think one of these will work or know of any other chassis mods that might work for me.

Thanks,

John (nightrider)

Guest Anonymous

From what I know from crawling around under my Z while doing the swap, they're ain't much room in the tunnel for to much of a torque arm. Of course if your fabricating a tunnel from the front to back I guess it would'nt matter. Also, not sure how much it matters, but the torque arm would be extremely short. The driveshaft with a T56 six speed is around 19-19 1/2 inches (depends on where you put the engine in the slots on the crossmember in front), so the torque arm wouldn't be a lot longer. The T56 tranny has a rubber mount on it for a torque arm.

Oh well, those are the only things I can probably tell you about it. As far as the cage, I'm not sure I know which hatch your talking about, unless its the one that replaces the hatch with a back window like behind the seats and has a flat shelf that extends to the back of the car? (Ferrari like hatch).

Regards,

Lone

I looked into the torque arm/torque tube around the driveshaft thing years ago and gave up. Like Lonehdrider said, there's not much room. If you decide to hack the side of the tunnel out, it could be fit in on the side though, I guess.

For the rollcage and that kind of hatch, the only option would be to have the rear bars come off the hoop at a very steep angle and land next to the rear strut towers on the floor.

This is how mine is because I couldn't find anywhere to land the bars in a good location around the spare tire well.

Owen

Heh, first find out if th ehatch is even available. Obviously you've not encountered the ArizonZ fine art of sales yet icon_smile.gif Let's just say that he's less than easy to deal with and you'd better be ordering at LEAST $1K worth of fiberglass or you're not worth his time!

Sounds liek you need to speak to Ron. His big block car is running single digit times I thnik - he'll be able to tell you how to setup the chassis! I thnk he's got a WEB site with pics too!

Guest Night_rider_383

Thanks for the help on this guys.

Lone.... Yeah thats the type hatch it is.

I think after reading all of yalls post to this i'll leave off the torque arm deal. I'll just go with what i had in mind at 1st. Back half the car, tubbed out, Ford 9'', ladder bars or 4-link set-up, and some type of subframe ties.

I didnt know ArizonZ was so hard to deal with but i am gonna talk to him about that hatch and if he dont have it or gives me alot of b/s i'll just glass one up kinda like it cause i love the look of that style.

Owen... will the shorter rear strut bars brace the frame as good as the long style that goes all the way back to the spare tire well? Maybe i'll look into a way to drop the rear bars to where your talking about and then off them down low stright back to the rear most part of the hatch then turn then down at a 75- 90 deg. angle or so and weld them into the rear frame

There are a few guys here from Arizona, one guy said he lives near that moron Dave. He will sell over the counter locally. So maybe someone from Arizona can buy it and ship it to you? Don't bother calling him, he wont ship it out for you!!!

Knightrider,

It could've been done I'm sure, but my battery box was already in one corner icon_smile.gif

I plan to do something like you say later on,

like this but attached to the two bars I have landing next to the strut towers.

fc3sdt10.jpg

mover32003.jpg

Owen

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Owen ]

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Owen ]