HybridZ

anyone interested in 12.19 rotors and wilwood brakes? look inside...

it seems that behrents might have the hardware we'll need. under Brakes>service parts> other service parts. I'm not exactly sure what to look for, so maybe sparky can tell us

[maybe WIL230-0150 and WIL230-0204? idk]

Those hardware kits are for threaded rotors, while the rotors I'm using are not threaded you can use a different type if you like but those part numbers above don't give any specs so I'm thinking they are replacement parts for one of their kits.

once we get everything finalized I will provide a source for the correct hardware.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know enough about this to decide whether I want these or not. My walnut sized brain is overwhelmed with all the data I'm collecting form hybird SBC, BBC, LT1, LS1-LS7, heads, rockers, intakes, carbs, headers, dizzies, cams, cast/forged, pistons, cranks, JTR, MSA, Scarab, suspension mods, wheels, tires, NA, forced, N2O.... ARRGH!!!! Problem A, problem B... all the way to problem ZZZ. My f-ing brain HURTS!!!

QUESTION: Does anyone have a "complete" list of what I'll need to add these to a 260?

Sparky is in charge of those kind of details, I just make the stuff :wink:

Alright boys, we're making progress! I'll bring the hat back to the shop on friday for final trimming and measuring, then it's back to Sparky again for the mount up on an actual car. Then, we get a whole batch made :burnout:

DSC_6654.jpg

DSC_6662.jpg

I don't know enough about this to decide whether I want these or not. My walnut sized brain is overwhelmed with all the data I'm collecting form hybird SBC, BBC, LT1, LS1-LS7, heads, rockers, intakes, carbs, headers, dizzies, cams, cast/forged, pistons, cranks, JTR, MSA, Scarab, suspension mods, wheels, tires, NA, forced, N2O.... ARRGH!!!! Problem A, problem B... all the way to problem ZZZ. My f-ing brain HURTS!!!

QUESTION: Does anyone have a "complete" list of what I'll need to add these to a 260?

well, you should ask yourself a few questions...

are you, or do you want to run a wheel larger than 15" in diameter?

what is your intended goal for your car? HPDE? AutoX? Drag? street? Show?

if you answered yes to the first question your half way home because you must run 16" or larger wheels to run these brakes.

the second question is a bit more tricky as there are many factors to consider. there are a lot more than a few people that will swear that the stock S30 brakes with some good pads and in proper working order are more than adequate in autoX and drag, HPDE's are another story as they tend to get a workout on higherspeed tracks and may fade. Of course there are always exceptions and a few people out there run with the stock brakes.

Personally, I plan on running more than a few HPDEs and want that safety factor that larger modern brakes can provide me...but...I will also freely admit that I LOVE the look of big aggressive brakes behind larger open wheels...functional purposeful bling.

Now to what your going to need to complete this kit:

Caliper (x2)-Wilwood or other caliper with a 3.5" mount spacing for a 1.25" thick rotor.

Rotor (x2) 12.19" Diameter Rotor with 8x7 bolt pattern (lots of choices on this one)

Brake lines (x2)- there are several shops that can custom make you a set of brake lines to adapt from the stock hard line to the caliper. When I get everything put on the car I will be able to provide more detailed info on this so people wont have to guess or fiddle too much.

Brake pads

late 260(?) or 280Z Hubs- The spacing is different on the stock 240Z or early 260Z hubs so they will not work properly. I'm making sure my info is correct on the late 260 hub, its really best to just buy a set of 280Z hubs and have new bearings pressed in...its very affordable all will offer a nice piece of mind knowing that everything up front has been gone through. Also, your going to have everything apart anyway so why not?

Nuts and Bolts- there are 8 bolts that connect the rotor to the hub. and another two for the caliper. these can be sourced locally or online but its imperative that everyone understands the difference in bolt grades between metric and SAE. I will be making a post about this when we start taking orders and asking everyone and anyone that buys that kit if they understand. Secondarily, I'm looking into a single manufacture that can supply us with a bolt kit and cut us a bit of a break...stay tuned for that one.

do you want to buy this kit? YES...yes you do :)

Sparky is in charge of those kind of details, I just make the stuff :wink:

Alright boys, we're making progress! I'll bring the hat back to the shop on friday for final trimming and measuring, then it's back to Sparky again for the mount up on an actual car. Then, we get a whole batch made :burnout:

DSC_6654.jpg

DSC_6662.jpg

Wow that got there quick! I will be online sometime saturday or sunday so we can chat then to figure some things out, it looks like you've got it handled though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sparky... Sorry for the belated reply. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the info!!! This answers all my questions (for now):wink:

well, you should ask yourself a few questions...

EDIT [LOTS OF GREAT INFO REMOVED]

I talked to my shop tonight, annodizing is a go.

After getting the hat from Sparky, I've changed a few measurements by a hair. I want to send it back to Sparky so he can bolt it up to the car, but after that we're ready to submit the order to the shop.

So if I'm not terribly mistaken, we're looking at 3 weeks.

I have just one question - why engineer this when Wilwood have a listing for a Hat for the Z. The part number is 170-1754. See page 25 of this PDF price list http://www.wilwood.org/racerpricelist.pdf

The specs of this hat are - 1.41" offset (not sure if that is for a 240z hub or 280z hub) 4x4.50 PDC on 8 x 7.00"

So if the offset is the same as the one you guys are making then this would be the same just a little bit more $$ (as your kit includes the caliper braket correct?) but this might be good for us non US based guys?

That Wilwood hat sandwiches between the wheel and the hub face, changing the front wheel offset. A member here has installed a set (front and rear I believe) with some success, but with fabrication remaining. I can not comment on the exact means of installation, but it is an option to consider if you have a good connection or can find them used. you will need to fab up a bracket and play with the setup though....

I have just one question - why engineer this when Wilwood have a listing for a Hat for the Z. The part number is 170-1754. See page 25 of this PDF price list http://www.wilwood.org/racerpricelist.pdf

The specs of this hat are - 1.41" offset (not sure if that is for a 240z hub or 280z hub) 4x4.50 PDC on 8 x 7.00"

So if the offset is the same as the one you guys are making then this would be the same just a little bit more $$ (as your kit includes the caliper braket correct?) but this might be good for us non US based guys?

That Wilwood hat sandwiches between the wheel and the hub face, changing the front wheel offset. A member here has installed a set (front and rear I believe) with some success, but with fabrication remaining. I can not comment on the exact means of installation, but it is an option to consider if you have a good connection or can find them used. you will need to fab up a bracket and play with the setup though....

Cool thanks for that - question for you do you know what the clearances between the front of the caliper and the hub front is

So I want to know if the caliper sticks out more than the face of the hub and by how much - so I can check if this setup would clear my RS Wantanabes - as these don't have much difference between the back of spoke and the mounting face.

Regards

Mike

As soon as I get the final prototype back and bolted to the car I will get you exact figures.

Cool thanks for that - question for you do you know what the clearances between the front of the caliper and the hub front is

So I want to know if the caliper sticks out more than the face of the hub and by how much - so I can check if this setup would clear my RS Wantanabes - as these don't have much difference between the back of spoke and the mounting face.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...