HybridZ

Want To Run An Ext. Wastegate..This Is A Neat Solution? Pics

slownrusty

I just purchased a turbo from a 7.3 liter Ford diesel. It has a internal wastegate but I plan on converting it by removing the old wastegate housing and intstalling a laser-cut plate that will have two holes in it. One will be for the exhaust to exit to the downpipe, and there will be another smaller hole where the wastegate puck used to be.. That will be routed to a external wastegate via a 1.5" exhaust pipe. After the wastegate it will be routed back to merge with the downpipe. I figure with a Tial wastegate on a L28et in a early Z there will be tons of room for a setup like that.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm holding out for a tangential fed GT35R but need to solve the ext wastegate problem and avoid the fender well. What turbo is that Sean?

I too would like a tangential fed GT35R but so far the only housing available is the ATP unit which is far too small at a .78 A/R. My understanding is that this housing would be like a .55 standard housing.

divided_top.jpg

• 1 year later...

i am running a sumular set up with a t3/t4 turbo i will try and post some pics, basicly what i did was take 2 t3 flanges and about 2 inches of square tubing, welded them together, i welded one side to the exhaust manny, then tapped the other side to bolt up the turbo

i am also runnin a external w.g. tial 38mm, i just cut a hole in the side of my spacer then welded a pipe roughly 3 inches long, then welded a flang for my tial

There's a picture in Maximum Boost of a turbine housing with an external wg flange cast right into it (pg 147). Something like that could be really helpful. You could either connect the wg directly, or run a pipe to a better location. But I've never seen such a housing like that for sale anywhere.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I have been running an Innovative Turbo "pro-gate" adapter for the last 5 or 6 years, I had a shop in Houston weld it to the stock exhaust manifold as the adapter is also cast iron, then I spent mucho hours porting the T-3 manifold flange out to T-4 size, which there is plenty of material there to do, it just takes a long time, even with a diamond carbide cutter on a die grinder...

that looks like a good part for a low pressure turbo setup, but if you want to run high boost (15+) the wastegate is most effective at 15-20 deg. off the header/manifold. This part is at 90 deg.

I think for now I'm going to be running maybe 14-15psi max. I'm probably going to have to run a spacer anyway and something like this would be easier than cutting into the factory manifold and welding a flange and pipe to the wastegate.

i think i have seen those wg-spacer things on ebay before. same vendors that sell the knockoff turbos.

Yeah, the photos at the top link to a photo-hosting site which says it hosts photos exclusively for ssautochrome.com which is one of those ebay companies that sells knock-off turbo parts. Some things they sell are ok, most are crap though. This is a piece that seems like it'd be ok just because it has no moving parts and looks pretty thick and solid.

I think for now I'm going to be running maybe 14-15psi max. I'm probably going to have to run a spacer anyway and something like this would be easier than cutting into the factory manifold and welding a flange and pipe to the wastegate.

you should be fine with that part then.