HybridZ

A Stunningly Well Executed Track Z Car

jt1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted by TitaniumZ

A small correction and some info on Red Bird.Speed Design Inc. was enlisted to help "Turbo"Tom build the car.

Sorry to give out bad info, I wasn't aware of the name change. Speed Design did a spectacular job. My head is still spinning form looking at it!!!

Welcome to HybridZ BTW.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of spending 9-11 at CMP with Tom and jt1. A great way to spend any Monday.

I have to say that these pictures do not do this car justice. Everywhere you look, there is eye candy. Every nut, bolt, hinge, rod, do dad, what ever has been polished, powercoated or modified in some way. The attention to detail is stunning. This car is a must see for anyone thinking about doing a track car.

Tom, I look foward to getting back on the track with you at VIR.

Jt1, get the Z together!

That was a nice day- lots of track time, good guys to hang out with, big thanks to Pam and Lori for a great lunch, fast cars to look at & run with, just great.

That was the first time I'd got to run with Mark since he got the new engine in. He blew by me in the 930, then ran down and passed a well driven C6 Z06. Mark's car is a real rocket. Redbird is showing a lot of potential when all the new car bugs get sorted out, Tom's getting there for sure.

I actually made some progress on the engine this weekend, it's coming together.

jt

John,

It is always fun when you are at the track. It was a great day. Nice cars, good food and tons of track time. Seeing the 930 drifting thru the Carousel, it was evident you had spent alot of time on a dirt track some where!!! Nice car BTW. Too bad you beat me down there to buy it. I love the look of the slant nose cars.

Get the Z car back together so we can play at VIR.

Wow.. I can't believe I missed the christening... you guys really should call me for once in a lifetime events like this... That is fantastic.... Tom will have years of fun with that beast... I would love to get some more pics.. I am nearing completion of my own project... though it will not have the fit and finish quality that Mark, Roddy, and Tom are famous for..... Those guys have put together some fantastic cars... they are all impressive in both looks and performance... You know that the builders are in the know when you see the professional execution of every detail....

Garrett,

At present I'm using a stock, 1978 transmission. I have a Nissan competition transmission that I will be trying soon but fear the closer ratios will not be suitable for a turbo car. We are still making changes to the engine and tuning it. The 55 lb Siemens injectors are maxed out at higher rpm runs so they are being replaced with 72 lb injectors. Also, the 50 amp alternator was not providing enough juice and caused problems with the battery, fuel pump, injectors and Electromotive engine management system. All this added up to not being unable to really put the engine to the test above 6200 rpm. At a conservative, 17 lb boost setting we made 410 hp and nearly that much torque. I forget the exact torque numbers. I plan to have all the changes made and test the car again in two weeks. As to the car's weight, we don't know yet. All the turbo parts and Lonewolf intake manifold really add up. The car was striped to the bone but probably still weighs about 2450 lbs. That's our guess until it hits the scales.

HI Tom/Mayolives,

Would you happen to have any pictures of bottom side of splitter/air dam support structure?

I've tried several times to build something substantial that'll last on the track with no success. Actually it's never made it to the track....Busted both splitters while loading, unloading on trailer. I run/ran a SCCA ITS car.

Say hi to John and Mark for me at next track event.

Those guys are quite fast...

nothing looks quite as fast as a Z at speed, no matter the propulsion unit.

David