HybridZ

It's Official... We're in the BLACK!!!

Mikelly

Yup, Just 10.5 short months ago today we started Brickner, Kelly & Associates with about $15,000 in personal investment, and a bank note from a local bank promissing to fund our payroll, once the invoices started rolling in...

Today, We paid off that bank note for funding of payroll ($40,812.00) for our employees. My partner and I officially own the company, with no outstanding debt. We did it, and it feels so great to have turned a $225K Gross company into well over $1.25million in just such a short time...

Sorry, but I couldn't keep it in! :cheers:

Mike

Congratz! Running our Daycare out of the house, we did similar increases in 6 months.... but now we can earn no more, and we have a 3 shift intrusion into our home life... I am very happy for you, and the grass does indeed look very green in your yard, lol.

Today' date=' We paid off that bank note for funding of payroll ($40,812.00) for our employees. My partner and I officially own the company, with no outstanding debt. We did it, and it feels so great to have turned a $225K Gross company into well over $1.25million in just such a short time...

[/quote']

My plane arrives at 8 tomorrow can I expect a limo and job? C'mon please.... JK

Tyson

Hmm is the IRS reading this? J/K....good job. I had my own business for a few years and it started to grow faster and bigger than me...It actually got to be too much work for just me. When my prior employer called me back offering a nice raise, I sold the bizz. It was fun and profitable but it was loads of work. My brother now owns and operates it with the help of his wife. (shameless plug, http://www.hvmp.com)

Good luck. It is most rewarding when it works.

Thanks Guys!!!

I've got zero concerns over the IRS, as we spend big bucks per month for our CPA and our bookkeeper.

I fully believe that one of the keys to being successful is setting up the company correctly. We recently fired our Insurance broker because he questioned our desire to automate our bill paying for our health care package. His comment was that most companies prefer to pace when they pay, or in plain speak, pay late, or pay whenever for your healthcare. :roll:

We prefer to pay ontime everytime for our employees to have the coverages we promiss. We set up our company with our CPA to make sure we error on the side of caution. You hear about all the silly things people write off for their companies... Cars, toys, big screen TVs. :roll: Trust me on this. Most of those who write off those questionable items haven't been audited... Nope, We'll pay a little more in taxes, keep our clearances, and our customers, and continue to make a decent living! I fully believe there are no shortcuts to making a company successful... Cutting corners will only cut your chances of success in the long run.

http://www.bka2005.com For a peek at what we offer to our employees... Someone asked what we do for a living... We consult on government contracts. Our latest venture is working with land developers to scout locations to build a campus for government agencies to use as disaster recovery/alternate work locations, as well as telecommuting. We're hopeful that this particular venture will launch us into a completely new business area for the company!

Mike

congrats mike. for a long time i have always wanted to own my own company. i used to work for a custom home builder designing his homes untill the owner pissed me off. i quit and took a couple of clients with me as i was already doing some work on the side. i got so busy by myself that i taught my wife how to draw. then we got so busy that she quit her job. then employees and all of the headaches that go with that. billing, taxes, blah blah blah. i some times wish i had a reagular job so that i do not have to work so dam hard. the grass is greener on the other side, yes. but i would rather have some time with my kids and working on the car than working to keep up with all of the work.

for all of you guys that want ot own your own business, go for it, but remember, there is no guaranteed pay check at the end of the week.

jimbo

It definately depends on the type of work. We have guaranteed work for 5 years worth of contracts. That's the way my business works, and we're always approaching more prime contractors to sub to them, all while preparing to win prime contracts of our own.

We also have a strict policy of NOT hiring our own friends and family. It takes away the stress of having to counsil or terminate employment of someone.

We hire folks who are in the professional IT and engineering/analytical trades within government service, so we typically don't have a lot of the hand holding associated with blue collar or lower levels of education associated with lesser skilled work forces. This does away with a LOT of those employee headaches that many people experience when managing personnel. Again, it's contract specific and work type specific.

The plan is to do this for 10 years and then step back and let one of our employees run it day to day while step back and work it part time...and reap the rewards! :2thumbs:

Mike

Congrats Mike. I know you could do it, having "known" you from this forum for the past few years-your talent definitely shows, although your financial restraint in buying "new" cars is not your best trait. I broke away from my old business partner a couple of years ago and now I'm generating more revenue than the two of us combined in our best years. I'm very cost to recouping my startup costs and we also are in the black. The profits will be socked away for retirement. Yes it is great to be your own boss, but you also have an SOB for a boss. You know what I mean, with the long hours you impose on yourself.

Then again, I love going to the workplace every day knowing I am doing mankind some good. Now, about those single moms, if I'm ever back in your neck of the woods, I'll help you support them.