HybridZ

RIP Steve Irwin

zguy95135

From CNN:

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catchphrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then one-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow Monday and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'."

Guest PFDR_159_AVN

I cannot see why everyone thinks this as a shock, he flirted with death, plain and simple. He knew the cost or possible cost yet he still choose his career, and he seemed to have fun. Thats what I say find something your good at and enjoy and take it to the max!!

I cannot see why everyone thinks this as a shock, he flirted with death, plain and simple. He knew the cost or possible cost yet he still choose his career, and he seemed to have fun. Thats what I say find something your good at and enjoy and take it to the max!!

I dont think anyone sees him dying the way he lived as a suprize or shock.. but just in the matter of a stingray barb going through his heart is what is shocking.

I've swam with stingrays many times, we have them all over here in Florida. I don't know how many of you are familiar with stingrays, but this was one of those accidents that is so far off the realm of things that might happen as to almost be beyond belief. I don't know exactly what he was doing, but stingrays have their barb right above the base of the tail, and it only exists as a means of protection from getting stepped on or attacked from above. Usually stingray accidents involve people walking in shallow water, and stepping on one, thereby getting the barb in the ankle. We have signs posted all over every beach in Florida that explain the "stingray shuffle" in detail, with pictures, and of all the stingray incedents I've heard about over the years, this is the first deep water stingray accident I've EVER come across. Steve Irwin was a passionate educator, and I think this is a huge loss. I also enjoyed imitating his voice...

He's not the first to die of a barb in the heart, there have been several, and several that died from a stab in the abdomen. You don't have to step on them either, just get close enough for them to feel threatened. That seems to be the case here, he was swimming and was over one and it just got him.

He flirted with disaster as an adrenaline rush I guess, I feel sorry for his wife and kids as it is the ones that are left behind that have to deal with his loss.

Farewell Steve, I enjoyed you while you were here.

As an Australian, I f'n hated him. He played upon the American ignorance and stereo-types of Australians for his own personal benefit and was a terrible representative of our country.

Did I mention hes a friggin idiot? I think it was a Tom Clancy book I read:

If you slap a tiger on the arse, you had better have a friggin good plan for dealing with its teeth.

Dave

Dave, I edited the cuss word, sorry, but I think we get the jist. Doc

Guest dan4011

i feel very sorry for his family, and everyone that cares for him, he was very passionate about what he did, and you could tell he really loves it. i watched his work since i was a kid. hes really done alot to help wildlife and the environment all over the place.

hopefully his wife and kids will eventually carry on his work, for im sure thats what he would want. RIP man.

also what happened really to me is shocking, i know he flirted with death many of times, but what happened is so unlikely that its weird. like someone seid, its only the 3rd reported death from stingrays in australia, and there actually harmless unless you really threaten them. and knowing steve, he is very educated when dealing with any animals, he would know.

ive beem swimming with stingrays before in the cayman islands a while back, some were probably 5 ft wide, they just swam all around you and minded there own buisness, you could touch them or whatever.