HybridZ

BMW engine weight

RacerX

I found this webpage regarding BMW engine specs. I noticed with the horsepower/torque info provided that it also posted - what I believe to be the engine weight both in "Kg" and "lbs".

If this is so - these engines are very lightweight or am I not understanding something here. Look at the weight of the M70 12 cylinder engine:

M70

V12 SOHC 24V. 1988-1994. 155kg 341lbs

Used in E32 750il, 850i

5.0 (300bhp)

Chelle - is this correct since you have one of these engines in your car?

Brethren - What is your observation please? Thanks for your input.

RacerX

http://www.bimmerforums.com/engine_faq/

I don't know where that fellow got his figures, but in an "official" BMW TIS document (entitled SBT 5.0l V12 Engine M-70) it states "the new V12 maintains a power-to-weight ratio of 1.77 lbs/hp" while giving its output figure as 295 HP. This works out to 522 lbs, which agrees well with other figures I've seen for this motor.

John

• Administrators

If this is so - these engines are very lightweight or am I not understanding something here. Look at the weight of the M70 12 cylinder engine:

M70

V12 SOHC 24V. 1988-1994. 155kg 341lbs

Used in E32 750il' date=' 850i

5.0 (300bhp)

[/quote']

Hi,

The info I have agrees with the 341lbs BUT... thats bare longblock only... no manifolds, starter, etc, etc.

John's 522lbs would give it about 180 lbs of 'stuff'... probably not far off on a V12.

Welcome racerx7' date='

Thanks for your input. For some reason your handle prompts me to think it has to do with Mazda RX7?! I use to be the RX7 club rep for the SF bay area in the early 1980's.

Again - welcome to the forum!!!

RacerX[/quote']

Thanks.

I am just a few miles south of you in belmont.

I am a rotary nut. I have a rx2 and a fd3s. If the wife ever lets me

get another car I want a 240z. Mine is the fast one.:icon47:

med_dscn1844.jpg

And apparently the S50 S52 and S54 varient L6 BMW motors all weigh the same... But I can't find the exact weight at the moment... Before I'd go through the pain and agony of owning and feeding a V12, I'd go for the S54 with more SAE HP!

Mike