HybridZ

LT1 Oil pan different from Gen 1 SBC?

Another member's recent misadventure has convinced me to replace the oil pan on my ebay sourced '95 Caprice LT1. His, and my, oil pans show signs of distortion; mine presumably from the bumps and grinds getting from Florida to Texas on a truck; his, apparently from some jerk jacking the car up by the oil pan. In any case, his misfortune (don't know how it'll turn out yet) is a cautionary tale I'm grateful to learn from. The question is, will any SBC oil pan do? Summit has an inexpensive unit, $35 or so, good for '87 to '95, but listed as a "Gen 1" replacement. Now, I'm reasonably sure the Summit piece doesn't have a boss for the oil level sensor, which I was going to delete from my setup anyway, plus it's got a dipstick hole on the passenger side, which I won't need with my block mounted dipstick. Are there any other differences I should be aware of? Can anyone recommend one gasket over another? Is there a Chevy parts source which is generally considered better than the others (strikes me I've seen some recommended but darned if I can find the threads...). Since I'm going to open up the bottom end which I wasn't planning to do, are there any things I should look for/do? The engine allegedly only has 33K on it, but it is, after all, an ebay deal...

Any and all advice welcomed.

Cheers -- Gary

Thanks for the Rock Auto referral. Curious I can't find the Dorman part but the closest is an ATP unit for $65. Academic at this point now that I've bought a used one off of ebay for $40. Rock Auto does have cheaper gaskets than others I've found, so that's one thing.

Hijacking my own thread, any one care to recommend favorite GM parts dealers for mail order stuff?

Many thanks, in advance. -- Gary

As with immortals :), there can be only 1:

Dal Slabaugh @ Van Devere Olds: Parts Warehouse. 300 West Market St, Tel:. Akron, Toll-Free: 877-448-5451. OH, Fax: 330-253-137

E-Mail: lockitup@bright.net

From the F-body.com website:

"Dal sells GM parts through the dealship for "at cost" no joke. His prices are typically the same prices that you will find at GMPartsDirect.com and he doesn't charge as much on shipping. It is best to call Dal and ask him to get you prices on parts - he is VERY busy so he may jsut take your name/number and what parts you want/need then at night when he gets home or later in the day when his phones calm down he will look up the prices and call you back. He is VERY reliable and offer the BEST prices, just be patient."

I've personally bought a few things from Dal & find he is the best (and alas) busiest of them all, but worth the wait unless you need it right away.

Just noticed your motor was from a Caprice- I ordered a pan for a '95 Camaro DORMAN Part # 264107 $57.79. Looked up a '95 Caprice & it gave me the same part #, the oil pans are under "Engine" in their listings.

This is slightly weird but of almost no interest to anyone, but if you approach the rockauto.com site looking for parts for an Impala SS, the Dorman part doesn't come up, but if you've only got a measley Caprice Classic, the Dorman one is at the top of the list. Both searches identify the engine as 5.7L MFI (P), which as we all know identifies the LT1 engine...

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers -- Gary :confused:

Surfing over at the ImpalaSS forum, I found this thread: http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007938, which allegedly shows how to get a discount when you place an order at Rock Auto. As I haven't ordered anything from them yet, I can't attest to it being current and valid, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

Cheers -- Gary