HybridZ

What it means to be a car guy...

Mikelly

So over the weekend I did a little comparo of factory posted data, and found a few interesting things about the M roadster...

2001-2002 S54 MRoadsters imported to the USA: 1200

Performance specs - 4.5 seconds 0-60 and 13.1 in the quarter

This data is very close in comparison to the late great C5 I owned, 4.5 seconds 0-60 and 13.2 in the quarter.

This car is a lot easier to drive fast than the Vette was. It also seems to have superior fit, finish and overall quality than the C5 did. Unfortunately some of my former Vette friends have pretty much written me off.

This is the price you pay for not limiting yourself, and allowing yourself to look past initial impressions. This car is as awe-inspiring as anything short of my V8Zcar, and certainly as unique. I'm pleased with the lack of seeing others at every stop light, which was what I was looking for in my next car. Seeing another vette at the stoplight, that was not what impressed me about them. The uniqueness wasn't there... But that isn't the case with this car.

I'm displeased with the shunning of a few in the Vette car community, but hey, I'll really piss them off when I move up to the next car!!! It certainly won't be another vette anytime soon! :shock: Got the t-shirt!!! :lmao:

Mike

Well said.... and I appreciate your sentiments. I still feel guilty for thinking about owning projects other than the Z... but I know intellectually that my loyalty to the Z is emotional.... and I know that eventually I will add to my collection as well. Main difference being, I dont anticipate taking any grief for it amongst the car people I "know"... they are all here, and the open-mindedness here is second only to the incredible depth of knowledge. :icon14:

tannji

I can sympathise with the shunning, brother. Let me tell you how many of my friends from back in my Honda days (boy were they Honda days too: twin cam 1.8 on an engine stand in my room, t04 turbo-among other parts-in the living room on the pool table, it was like the home for wayward hondas, but I digress) would have NOTHING to do with me when I bought my first 280z. One or two stayed around, but to this day they tell me I should never have sold my hatchback. I don't miss it though. I know it's no M-roadster, but I expect no matter what car I get, I'll be in the same boat since I gravitate towards the odd-ball performance cars anyway. Man do I want a Pantera...

Mike please buy some other cars. that way you can keep sending discount used parts my way. BTW you got anything for sale? heads ? trannies? engines? cage material? brakes? So when are you gonna part out the z? Can I paypal ya for first dibs?

No Joke

Hey Mike. I applaud you interest in so many disciplines of motorsports even the dirt biking. HAHAHAHA. Performance is performance. Dragging is awesome. Road Racing is awesome. Z06 is IMO $4$ one of the best values. M roadsters are awesome. I like the Big M3 what is it an M46 a v8 stuffed into a 3 series chassis? I love australian/new zealand jet boat circuit racing. Isle of MAN TT and especially the german tractor trailer road racing. One thing that really blew my mind was the Movie "The worlds fastest indian". Now that was awesome.

So forget about those who are closeminded and take some satisfaction in knowing what they are missing.

Joe

BTW do you take payal at this address? HAHAHAHHA

Mike, it's easy to get back in good graces with the Corvette community. Since you are a member of the hybrid community, why don't you just go over to your GM dealer and order an LS7 motor (for $13K) and stuff it into your M roadster. You kow all the arguments. Better weight distribution, lighter motor, etc. They'll love you. Either that or both the BMW dudes and the Vette dudes are going to hate you.

I know what you mean Mike. I'm kind of on the reverse side of that though with a local BMW M3 Roadster guy sticking his nose in the air each time I run across him. He knows his car is quick but has yet to find out how quick the Z really is. Conversely, a local C-5 'vert driver is friendly as all get out and has given me a thumbs up in both the 280 and the Z32 'vert. It's all the individual.

2001-2002 S54 MRoadsters imported to the USA: 1200

Performance specs - 4.5 seconds 0-60 and 13.1 in the quarter

This data is very close in comparison to the late great C5 I owned' date=' 13.2 0-60 and 13.2 in the quarter.

[/quote']

If my vette ran a 13.2 0-60, i would've gotten rid of it too...

But i feel your pain on being shunned...either they hate you, or they tell you about why their car is soo much better than yours while they're drinking your beer at your party.

I don't get this whole concept that "if it's not a ___ than it must suck". I'm a car guy, so I'm interested in all cars. Of course I enjoy some cars more than others; but I generally like cars that go fast, handle well, look cool, just plain different, unusual, etc.

I think that's one of the neat things about HybridZ. It seems the one common thread we have is that we all like cars. Regardless of whether its a Z or not. There are plenty of posts on other cars on this forum that members seem to enjoy seeing and discussing.

This shunning thing shows how people can become so intolerant of things they don't know about...or refuse to know about for various trivial reasons. It sounds like your MRoadster has very similar spec's and is arguably a better car than the Vette it replaced, but - at least to some people - it's not a Vette therefore it must suck.

I've gotten a little of this with my car as well from both the Z purists and the hard core muscle car/hot rod crowd. As far as they're concerned it's one or the other and therefore I am shunned. I'm okay with that and for the "real" car guys I enjoy talking with them about what I've done with my car and what they've done with theirs.

At least now you can see who your friends are from the Vette world...and those who only pretended to be while you drove one.