HybridZ

JDM 2JZ-GTTE supra swap need advice

Silver Mine Motors

ok so im looking at different types of engine set ups for my 260z. i recentley saw on ebay that they were selling JDM 2JZ-GTTEsupra engines with the stock five spead tranny. so i was wondering will the stock tranny fit in my 260z. what modifcations do i need to make. such as drive shaft,were the shifter will end up, how to mount it, and if anyone knows how to make an engine mount. thanks

Search for a member on here named Cyrus, he has a really good thread about his swap. Also search for Z-Gad, their pics should be able to help you out. That should be a good starting point.

You will most likely have to clearance a little bit in the tranny tunnel. A custom driveshift will be in order weather it be a cut 260 drive shaft or one off. As for mounting again, SEARCH the site should give you some good ideas on how to do it. Almost all you questions can be answered through some searching.

Another note are you sure its a 5-speed I thought all the 2JZ-GTE's stateside had 6 speeds? I could be wrong.

Best of luck,

Tyson

ok so im looking at different types of engine set ups for my 260z. i recentley saw on ebay that they were selling JDM 2JZ-GTTEsupra engines with the stock five spead tranny. so i was wondering will the stock tranny fit in my 260z. what modifcations do i need to make. such as drive shaft,were the shifter will end up, how to mount it, and if anyone knows how to make an engine mount. thanks[/size']

If it's got a 5speed it's not from a supra it's from a arreo or however it's spelled. which makes some parts on it a little more difficult to find. as long as you're looking for under 500-600hp you';; be fine with that tranny and motor.

Most Mk4 Supra's in Australia are 2nd hand ex Japan, The 5 speed R154 box was standard till mid 1994 on NA and TT, the TTs went to the Getrag 6 speed, Think the NAs stayed with the R154 .

Different Toyota domestic models had Differing shifter positions, The one from the JZX100 Chaser comes up in the Dat hole without modification. It fits.

I think the Mk4 Supra has slightly different stick position

You will need to angle grind off the Datsun gearbox mount locators in the tunnel.

all 93.5 on up are six speed or auto.. no 5 speed on the turbo 4th gen. the na 4th gen supras use the w58... much weaker than the r154. your a lot better off with the r154. the v160 is cool, but the r154 fits almost perfect and the v160 is expensive, under normal circumstances its not gonna be any stronger than the 154, and your going to have to mod the shifter linkage.. which isnt a big deal but im pretty sure your gonna have to pound the tunnel.

r154 is the mk3 turbo 5speed. The w58 is also what comes in the Soarers after 92. use a bellhousing and flywheel from a 1jz a70 car with the 2jz and be done.

all 93.5 on up are six speed or auto.. no 5 speed on the turbo 4th gen. the na 4th gen supras use the w58... much weaker than the r154. your a lot better off with the r154. the v160 is cool' date=' but the r154 fits almost perfect and the v160 is expensive, under normal circumstances its not gonna be any stronger than the 154, and your going to have to mod the shifter linkage.. which isnt a big deal but im pretty sure your gonna have to pound the tunnel.

r154 is the mk3 turbo 5speed. The w58 is also what comes in the Soarers after 92. use a bellhousing and flywheel from a 1jz a70 car with the 2jz and be done.[/quote']

I'm with stupid as we'd say on supra forums :)

this guy knows what's going on. i also think in the later years they may have used some kind of 6speed in the N/As but i can't confirm this. yet I do know theresa v161 with a taller first and second gear.

no n/a six speed. and no 5 speed turbo in a mk4. thats why i want the link. if it exists.. its not a factory built car. ive seen people in japan/uk/aus/nz where the parts are more available use 5spds and 1jz bellhousings to put 2j motors into cars that came na... but no factory built 5spd TT mk4 exists as far as i know. I didnt want to be as brash as just telling you that youre wrong which is why i ask for the link. id like to see what made you think it exists or maybe its a chance for me to learn something about some supras that were jdm market only.... but i know quite a bit about those cars. its what i mess with day in and day out. Z's are just a personal thing for me, i like the supra z because its a supra that weighs 2300lbs. which is fun. but im a supra guy 1st. so thats why i want a link. i dont want to be an ******* but id like to either educate or learn.. depending on whats going on.

and yah... ive been on SF forever. same name over there.

Hmm, scratching my head, I googled Mk4, R154, and got nothing! My oracle is the local Jap engine importer,Originally he insisted the manual Mk4s, pre the big brake intro, had a 5 speed R154, but on asking why it don't google very well says The 154 in the 1993 half-cut "might " have replaced an auto in Japan"

he has been trying to convince me of my need to pull out my 1JZ Vvt and replace it with this combo. I suspect in his over enthusasm, he told me some lies.

Not interested anyway, the single turbo 1j has more than enough grunt for a dedicated highway cruiser.

apologies trying to convince you a sales pitch(for a dodgy conversion) was a production car.:oops:

no n/a six speed. and no 5 speed turbo in a mk4. thats why i want the link. if it exists.. its not a factory built car. ive seen people in japan/uk/aus/nz where the parts are more available use 5spds and 1jz bellhousings to put 2j motors into cars that came na... but no factory built 5spd TT mk4 exists as far as i know. I didnt want to be as brash as just telling you that youre wrong which is why i ask for the link. id like to see what made you think it exists or maybe its a chance for me to learn something about some supras that were jdm market only.... but i know quite a bit about those cars. its what i mess with day in and day out. Z's are just a personal thing for me' date=' i like the supra z because its a supra that weighs 2300lbs. which is fun. but im a supra guy 1st. so thats why i want a link. i dont want to be an ******* but id like to either educate or learn.. depending on whats going on.

and yah... ive been on SF forever. same name over there.[/quote']

stalker roflwtf.gif nice to know I have something in common with someone on here

I've been lurking on this thread as well, waiting for the outcome. I too was under the same belief that the MKIV TT never came with a 5-speed. Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, do you guys think that the R154 would last behind a 700+rwhp 2JZ, or would the only option be the V160... just thinking about options down the road, should I decide to go back to slamming gears in the Zupra :-)

yah i figured something was up. i didnt want to sound like an ass but now that i know whwere you oracle is. and good god do i have some stories about importers who didnt know what they were selling. unfortunately its too common. they start by getting stuff they know, then they pick up crap in the yard cuz its priced right and looks cool. I know people who were sold on stuff they shouldnt have bought...and i know people who got extra stuff they werent expecting. if he has the clip go look at it, if it is a jza80 and it IS a tt... then that guy has a sixspeed and thinks its a 5.wouldnt be the first time ive seen that. i dont know about au but here the going rate for a v160 is about 3500+ dollars. ive seen ones in good shape sell for 5k. go take a look and get pics.

mike, i have a few r154s laying around if you decide to take one. and yea.. it will work long as its in ok shape. i would replace a few parts 1st but people run them behind cars like that all the time. the r154 is a hella strong tranny. people all over use them in v8 powered rock crawlers.. and you know those make torque. ive been around plenty of 700+rwhp supras with r154s.

and yah.. if you have a 1jz now.. KEEP IT. the 1jz is a badass motor. of all the stuff ive had the pleasure of driving it is definatly one of my favorites. the thing REvs like crazy. just dont kill it with lag and it will keep you plenty happy when you put the gas pedal down.

I've been lurking on this thread as well' date=' waiting for the outcome. I too was under the same belief that the MKIV TT never came with a 5-speed. Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, do you guys think that the R154 would last behind a 700+rwhp 2JZ, or would the only option be the V160... just thinking about options down the road, should I decide to go back to slamming gears in the Zupra :-)[/quote']

In a 3400lb supra your pushing it. in a 1000lb lighter Z you might pull it off as long as you arnt dumpign the clutch on hot slicks. there are some things that should be done to the R154 if it's out of the car. like changing the shift fork that likes to break and a few other small things.

No, Its definately a 5 speed,and $7500 is a bit much for the package, early floater brakes as well.He knows what he's got, just hopes no-one else does.

The 1J Vvt, is a beast,the single (bigger)turbo , combined with the Vvt gives it max torque 378Nm at 2400rpm,SHEEEEEIT!!! (RB26Dett is 353 Nm).I have never found out what the 2JZ Vvt torque figures are, but they must be frightening.

The down side of the conversion is weight,Be prepared for this when considering the conversion, does not bother me as car is street cruiser, Mine tips the scales at 1290 Kg,(2838lbs)will hit 1300Kgs when I get the air back in.But even if you were building for track, the weight increase is leveled by the huge power.

Balance is 53% front, 47% rear.Engine mounts moved to off the rails behind the strut towers. disappeared the original mounts from the crossmember which made it easier to set up a 2 turns lock to lock power rack.

If your car is intended for the street, you definately do not need to go to the extra cost of a 2J.

Both engines are real easy to transplant,(wire-up is a bit of a nightmare)

I'm intersted in the R154 strength as well. I'm building a 2jz headed 1jz with a big turbo and ferrea valvetrain. The idea is to reliably rev to 10' date='000+rpm.

Justin[/quote']

um... i hope not. 1jz head is perfectly fine for that.. why waste time putting a 2j head on? the only time you should ever mix the two is using a 1jz head on a 2jz block.

also.. if this is still a mk4 supra tt with a 5 spd.. i want pics. still callin bs unless its swapped.