HybridZ

Maxima Trans swap into a 280Z

TomoHawk

Has anybody done the Maxima 4NBL trans swap into a 280Z? (Overdrive & lockup torque converter) I'm ready to do mine and I just want to confirm the details:

'83 Maxima 4NBL trans (with O/D & electric lockup)

'83 Maxima driveshaft & trans support

What speedo gear is used with the R-180 diff, and are there any details on how to do the wiring for the lockup torque converter?

thx.

• 2 weeks later...

You will need the maxima fly wheel, torque converter and flex plate. There is no magic how to hook up the o/d switch. If no voltage then it's in O/D. If there is voltage then it's not in O/D. This means you don't even have to hook up the switch. I put the maxima trans into my 82 280ZXT once before but because my driveshaft was a bit long and it chewed up the rear cover of my trans. I haven't found a replacement since so I put back the 3 speeds auto.

GL

Vinh

If no voltage then it's in O/D. If there is voltage then it's not in O/D. This means you don't even have to hook up the switch.
I don't quite understand what that means, can you explain? Maybe a quick schematic? Do you mean that the trans handles the O/D? I thought you could hook up a switch to engage it when you want it.

thx

There is a switch on the side of the trans for the O/D. Initially my thought is the same as yours. So I ran the wires to the trans thru a switch. But after that I found out that in the absence of the 12V to the switch the car will go automatically go in to overdrive. If you put 12V to it then no O/D. What's important is you must take the fly wheel and the torque converter off the same maxima and the driveshaft also. There are 2 types of maxima auto trans. One uses the yoke from a non turbo ZX drive shaft and the other uses the 280ZX turbo's yoke. I have both of these trans from maximas in my garage right now.

I used up the one that takes the 280ZXT's input yoke and it chewed my rear housing up. If I replace the turbo's yoke on my drive shaft I can put the other auto trans in my 280ZXT without having redo the driveshaft. I might do this in the future who knows. Good luck.

Vinh

So here's my shopping lis:

-------1983 Maxima-------

4N71B trans (L or E model?)

flywheel, torque converter, trans support & driveshaft from same car

I read somewhere that other cars used the same trans (like an '88 Conquest and maybe Starion?) Would that trans be the L or E model (L for hydraulic lockup, E for electronic lockup)?

Also they're going to want to know what body style & engine type for the Maxima. ex: 2door coupe with 3L I-6 gas N/A engine

Anything else I need to know when I call the dismantlers?

thx

P.S.

I made a 300 mile run recently, and at 80 MPH, my stock 280Z spins 3800 RPM; 4000 RPM gives 85 MPH, and 4200 gives 90MPH. Not that I was going that fast for any length of time. :eek::wink:

• 3 months later...

Racer,

I still have one that will take the N/A drive shaft. I also have the one that takes the turbo driveshaft but the tail housing was chewed up by my driveshaft. I have shorten the turbo driveshaft for this swap but I can't seem to find the tail housing for my tranny. So I have everything sitting here. Let me know if you interest in buying everything. BTW I can't just swap the tail housing from one trans to the other. They are not the same.

Will the maxima trans mount just bolt into a turbo zx? Is there a model or year that can use the turbo drive shaft? What was the stall speed of the maxima converter and haw was it with the turbo motor? What ratio diff did you use? I was considering going down to a 3:7?

There's a write up on the articles at Zcar.com.

One thing it mentions is that this tranny will not take much abuse from a turbo engine. For that the article talks about adapting a beefier auto from a Starion I think....

Mario