HybridZ

Safety

73_240z

I know that there has been previous threads with this topic and in fact i have read them. I just wanted to remind everyone to take safety precautions when working with chemicals and etc. Last night i was working with paint stripper and I have gotten off lucky with only very minor burns and scratches to my eye. If I would have been wearing safety glasses the whole incident would have been avoided and would of saved me the 75 dollar ER visit. So everyone be safe and have fun!

Had to rant about it I couldnt go without it.

I never even thought about the paint splatter from closing a paint can. My incident is my fault and I hate to admit this. I was sanding with an orbital that i had put stripper on earlier. I thought i had wiped it all off but I guess I didnt. Definitly one of the scariest things that has happened.

Hah, I think the one thing my mom's told me more than anything else is, "wear your saftey glasses"! I'm blind in one eye too. :wink:

I watched a friend of mine a few years ago spray carb cleaner into a carb and have it come back and hit him in the eyes. He said it hurt a lot... :shock:

--Dan

Yeah - and don't forget about simple things like being sure the wheels are chocked, that it's up on jackstands or ramps instead of a jack, that the engine & exhaust have had time to cool down, etc., etc. Look at the car every time you approach it with the question: "How is Murphy going to try to get me this time?"

I have three to add:

1. Don't shake an old can of aircraft paint stripper even if it looks solid. Turns out that the stripper was eating the can from the inside out and when I shook it the stripper flew out of weakend metal and all over my arm and neck. I was not wearing glasses. A drop of that stuff burns...

2. I used a 3M 3" Roloc disc on an angle grinder doing about 20000rpm. The Roloc shaft snapped off sending the disc flying into my left inner elbow. Got a nasty cut. Had my glasses on. At least it didn't hit my neck!

3. My parents had a 1980 200SX (fuel injected) that had been setting for years. I assumed that there was no fuel pressure after all that time. I cut the rubber fuel line and gas shot into both of my eyes. No glasses. Yes, that burned! And smelled for a long time.

BONUS mistake! I have had three small pieces of metal removed from my eyes. I was grinding metal. I was wearing glasses the last time or two. The eye doctor removed the metal and then used a small air dremel to grind out a little crator where the metal was to prevent infection. Fun!

Chuck