HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

The concerns voiced above regarding the VLSD are because Nissan typically uses different diff side splines on the CV shafts for VLSD units. On the 350Z when swapping in a CLSD (from Cusco, Nismo, KAAZ, etc.) you have to change the diff side of the CV shaft if your 350Z has the OEM VLSD.

FYI... the 350Z diff is short nosed R200.

But as I found out it's not interchangeable with the older short nose R200 diffs. Ears are slightly wider and the rear cover bolt pattern is also slightly different. What ever happened to Nissan trying to keep parts standard over the years. Are we starting to see the effects of Carlos Ghosn!

My 1990 Z32 shop manual indicates that the NA Z32 diffs were R200V (VLSD) while the TT had a R230V. Am I going out on a lim assuming that all NA Z32 have a VLSD?

I have to be sure that the splines on the LSD unit I'm getting match up with my shafts.

FYI... the 350Z diff is short nosed R200.

I thought only the one version of the Z31 in 1988 had a VLSD and that was an R200? I was unaware that any of the Z32 models had viscous LSD's?

You are right for the Z31, as the SS model was the only VLSD "bolt in" R200 unit. The local Nissan dealership sends ALL of the Z32s over to our shop to be worked on and they all have the VLSD. They have different ratios and different input flanges between the non-turbo and turbo / auto vs. manual.

• 3 weeks later...
So is it safe to say that if I am looking for a KAAZ LSD unit for my 92 Q45 VLSD diff, I should be asking for the Z32 NA unit? I called Option Imports and they do not have a listing for the Q45 diff. Not surprised. It appears the only difference between the Q45 and the NA Z32 diff would be the gearing. Am I right or "out to lunch"? The Z32 unit would cost me $855.00 + shipping.

Let me know I need to order one soon.

Should I source out from someone else?

marc, if i understand correctly are you removing the stock vlsd from your q45 diff and installing the kaaz lsd? if so, what is the purpose?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just going to make an assumption that the 280ZX N/A falls into Longnose R200 territory ?

Longnose R200 -weight 76 lbs - Came in 260Z 2+2, 280Z manual, 75-76 automatic and 2+2, Z31, 200SXT

Shortnose R200 - weight 72 lbs - Later model 240SX, Q45 1989-1996, R32 Skyline, 300ZX NA, 350Z

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
A C200 ring gear from a Nissan pickup(solid axle) is the same NISMO part number as a regular R200 ring gear. They are also much higher gear ratios for you N/A guys, up to 4.875:1.

I wonder if a C200 LSD differential will fit into a R200? Doubt it.

Info HERE

It might. The H190 Detroit Locker fits into the R190...

EDIT- I emailed the author of that post.

I got my hands on an R190 CLSD. Do we need photos of one? I can post some photos of people are interested. It's going in the race car in a month or so. Interesting looking case. Cover has same bolt pattern as R180, but is deeper to clear the 190mm ring gear. Also, the ratio is not stamped on the ring gear, but on the cover in two places.

I've got an R200 3.9:1 CLSD in there now. The R190 is a 4.44:1. Should actually get it into 5th on the straights now. Should pull a little better up hill now too.

A C200 ring gear from a Nissan pickup(solid axle) is the same NISMO part number as a regular R200 ring gear. They are also much higher gear ratios for you N/A guys, up to 4.875:1.

I wonder if a C200 LSD differential will fit into a R200? Doubt it.

Info HERE

Here's the answer I got from the author of that post:

With regard to spline count, I think it depends on the year. Earlier c200s had 29 spline axles like the R200A. 2003+ C200s in the 4x4s went to 30 spline carriers.

Then I searched C200 here and found this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=71496 with this info:

The C200 came in two "Flavors"

1.) 1986-97 Nissan Pathfinder (4cyl.) Rear Axle- 29 spline

2.) 2002 + Nissan Pathfinder Rear Axle - 31 spline

(See the ARB locker site for more info)

So it looks to me like the C200 29 spline is a likely swap candidate. Someone is going to have to be the guinea pig, but I'd bet that it would work.

I'm going to clean this thread up again. This is an informational thread about the different types and sizes of differentials and is not the proper place to ask what diff is best for you or what kind of LSD would work for you. Start another thread for those questions.